HS2 to HS3 upgrade - Zwave transition best practice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HS2 to HS3 upgrade - Zwave transition best practice

I finally decided to take on the task of migrating to HS3. I tried the upgrade steps outlined in the main sticky thread - Upgrading from HS2 to HS3 (including PRO versions) https://forums.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=163318, but the results were like most that I have read on here (less than stellar). So I am now faced with starting from scratch and running HS2 as my PROD automation on the same box as HS3 (one at time) while I slowly resetup HS3 from scratch. On my HS2 setup I use the Wayne Dalton WDUSB-10, but I have also purchased the ZNET that I want to replace the WD with. My question is: Can I setup the ZNET only on HS3 while still maintaining the WD on HS2 (ZNET is not supported on HS2 AFAIK). I would of course unplug the ZNET whenever I switch back on HS2. Not sure what the best options are for me. I just don't want to setup all my ZWAVE devices on the WD (PITA) only to find out I could have setup the ZNET right from the beginning.

Thanks,

Paul

For me the best way I found to make the transition work, I was going from the z-troller to the z-net, was to remove all the devices from the z-troller and then add them into the z-net. I tried the backup of the z-troller and then load that onto the z-net approach, but it didn't work for me. I plugged the z-net into my laptop for power, used the wifi to connect it to HS3 and walked to each of my devices ans added them that way. I know a royal PITA but for me it got me a relatively stable zwave system.

Comment

Originally posted by sonypoolplr View Post
      For me the best way I found to make the transition work, I was going from the z-troller to the z-net, was to remove all the devices from the z-troller and then add them into the z-net. I tried the backup of the z-troller and then load that onto the z-net approach, but it didn't work for me. I plugged the z-net into my laptop for power, used the wifi to connect it to HS3 and walked to each of my devices ans added them that way. I know a royal PITA but for me it got me a relatively stable zwave system.
      Thanks for the reply. Do i have to remove the devices from my WD stick first or can i follow the same steps you did with the ZNET and also keep them setup in HS2 and WD stick?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Comment

I just did an export/import and that worked without issue.

Robert
        HS3PRO 3.0.0.500 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, JowiHue, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dots, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.

Comment

Originally posted by langenet View Post
          I just did an export/import and that worked without issue.

Robert
          Thanks Robert. I will try that method first and see how it works.

-Paul

Comment

Originally posted by pohoda View Post
            Thanks for the reply. Do i have to remove the devices from my WD stick first or can i follow the same steps you did with the ZNET and also keep them setup in HS2 and WD stick?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
            I don't think that zwave devices can be associated with two different controllers. So I think once they are added to the znet they won't work in the WD stick.

Comment

Update

Well I finally went through the steps. I am able to control Zwave devices from both HS2 with WD Stick and HS3 from Z-NET. The only devices that I am having trouble with are my door locks (Kwikset), but I can live with that while I am in transition. Now that I can run them both side-by-side it will make things much easier for me to transition over while maintaining the most important aspects of my HS2 automation that I have become dependent on.

Other than the Kwiksets the other Zwave devices I have (mostly on/off switches) imported without issue and are working. I had to remove and re-add those nodes [door locks] and now they work great!

I can also confirm that BLDSC and Autelis both work for me in HS3, although I can only control BLDSC from one or the other due to virtual COM port software limitations.

-Paul

Comment

Originally posted by pohoda View Post
                Well I finally went through the steps. I am able to control Zwave devices from both HS2 with WD Stick and HS3 from Z-NET. The only devices that I am having trouble with are my door locks (Kwikset), but I can live with that while I am in transition. Now that I can run them both side-by-side it will make things much easier for me to transition over while maintaining the most important aspects of my HS2 automation that I have become dependent on.

Other than the Kwiksets the other Zwave devices I have (mostly on/off switches) imported without issue and are working. I had to remove and re-add those nodes [door locks] and now they work great!

I can also confirm that BLDSC and Autelis both work for me in HS3, although I can only control BLDSC from one or the other due to virtual COM port software limitations.

-Paul
                Hi Paul, for your Kwikset locks, make sure you go through the steps in post #4 in this thread: https://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=167500

Cheers
                Al
                HS 4.2.8.0: 2134 Devices 1252 Events
                Z-Wave 3.0.10.0: 133 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

Originally posted by sparkman View Post
                  Hi Paul, for your Kwikset locks, make sure you go through the steps in post #4 in this thread: https://board.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=167500

Cheers
                  Al
                  Thanks Al. I did not see that thread in all the searching I did! Very helpful!

-Paul

Comment

Working...
                  X