Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HS3 and multiple native COM ports on computer

Hello guys, I have a quick question for all of you:

I haven't dealt with RS232 ports/communication on HS3 so far.... If I install HS3 on a PC with multiple native COM ports, would HS3 be able to send RS232 commands through each of those ports? what would be needed?

Thanks and have a great day.

HS3 and multiple native COM ports on computer

Yes, as long as the OS has access to those COM ports, then HS3 can use them. There should be nothing else needed.

Cheers
    Al

Sent from my Phone using Tapatalk
    HS 4.2.8.0: 2134 Devices 1252 Events
    Z-Wave 3.0.10.0: 133 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

Here relating to the old Windows Homeseer 2 machine went to using one powered Digi 7 port USB hub to USB devices and two Digi 8 port serial Edgeports providing 7 USB and 16 serial ports to HS via one USB cable.

This methodology is now utilized with Homeseer 3 in Ubuntu Linux and works well for me because it is only one USB connection to the box. (3 cables: USB, Network and Power running headless).

Homeseer Pro / Intel CPU / Ubuntu 16.04 64 bit ==> one USB cable ==> Digi USB hub ==> USB automation devices (including Digi Edgeports)==> Digi Serial Edgeports.

I have added RPi2's, W10 machines, Oracle Wintel VB's these days running remote plugins which also works great.

My Z-Wave RPi2 is also doing a small 1-wire network here in Linux RPi Jessie.

RPi2 (with Z-Wave GPIO) POE powered ==> USB 1-wire hub ==> USB to serial #1 for UPB and USB to Serial #2 for X10. (RPI is doing Z-Wave, UPB, X10 and a 1-wire network). It is a slave to the Zee-2.

My personal preference for automation transport today is serial, USB (works OK if you have drivers for it), network (wired and not wireless).

I avoid using wireless for any dependent automation. That is me though.
      Last edited by Pete; March 17, 2017, 08:22 AM.
      - Pete

Auto mator
      Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb

HS4 Pro - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
      HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Originally posted by dchramcow View Post
        If I install HS3 on a PC with multiple native COM ports, would HS3 be able to send RS232 commands through each of those ports? what would be needed?
        The only thing you will need to do is open the port for serial communication. The most convenient way to do that is to include an OpenComPort statement in your Startup script. The commands for use and control are documented in the help file:
        Attached Files
        Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
        HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Working...
        X