FireDaemon Pro vs AlwaysUp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am exploring some reconfiguration of my hardware that runs HomeSeer and other services. I am thinking about moving back to one of the applications that will run an application as a service. The last time I did this I used FireDaemon and it was free. It looks like the free version is not available any longer. FireDaemon ran HomeSeer on Windows Server 2012r2 without issue.

I am looking for suggestions between FireDaemon Pro and AlwaysUp. Since they are both $50 I want to pick the one that will work better. I was very happy with FireDaemon, but AlwaysUp has some committed users as well. Is there a compelling reason to choose one over the other or is there another choice I should look at?
    HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

You should be able to do this without having to purchase software using sc.exe.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3...rom-executable

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I have used FD for years. I bought it and have never regretted it. I ran HS2 and now HS3 with it. Just works...

Robert
      HS3PRO 3.0.0.500 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, JowiHue, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dots, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.

Comment

Originally posted by Kerat View Post
        You should be able to do this without having to purchase software using sc.exe.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3...rom-executable

I think I tried sc before I settled on FireDaemon in 2015. IIRC it had problems launhing some plug-ins. I also think it had the same problem as NSSM - not providing a graceful shutdown of HomeSeer.
        HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Looking here at my archives I purchased FireDaemon Pro V.19 in February, 2006.

For a bit here had gone to using HS2 as a service....until I kept adding side software that I needed for HS2 and made those services...then it was a PITA to manage such that I quit using it.

It was cheap back then.

I never updated it / paid for the upgrade per email sent to all users at the time.

My registered V.19 still works fine as I have test used it a few times in the last few years.
          - Pete

Auto mator
          Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
          Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
          HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
          HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

You can also just use the Windows Task scheduler. Create a task that runs on startup and doesn't require the user to be logged in.

Comment

Yep, also worthwhile to create a new service account and:
              1. grant it login as a service security permission.
              2. Allow full control of the HS3 install folder

Last edited by Kerat; April 12, 2017, 10:19 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X