Cancel another running event

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cancel another running event

Where can I find information on how this works? Some documentation that is not 5 years old and outdated or incomplete?

I am having an issue finding the events I want to cancel in the "Select event to be Cancelled" drop down list, and I can't pinpoint why an event is or is not listed there.

Is there a way to list all events running?

Thanks

Normally, the event you want to cancel will not be running at the time you are creating the event action to cancel it. Perhaps it would help if you explain why you need to cancel an event and under what circumstances. Why do you expect to find it on a list of running events? Is it failing to terminate on its own?
    Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
    HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Thanks Uncle Michael.
      I would like that, if someone (or other event) changes pool mode (virtual device) to POOL, and my event "Pool Cleaning Cycle" is running (active??), then stop event "Pool Cleaning Cycle".

The event "Pool Cleaning Cycle" takes 4 hours 15 minutes to complete, and during that it cycles valves and pumps to clean jet circuit, air circuit, spa, pool, etc. I am only using WAIT actions, not timers (yet).

Similarly, I believe I will need to stop events in other scenarios, like moving from SPA mode to POOL mode, etc.

FYI, currently all pool system is controlled by z-wave stuff directly from HS3.

Scary, right?

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Michael View Post
        Why do you expect to find it on a list of running events? Is it failing to terminate on its own?
        Sorry but that "list of running events" statement prompts me to ask how I control that, because I do see several events listed in "Select event to be Cancelled" that should not be running. Oh boy.

Comment

I can't believe I did that... I placed the event I want to stop in the wrong group . That is why I could not find it in the "Select event to be Cancelled" list.

So sorry.
          Thanks for the help.

Comment

Also, "Cancel another running event" will only work on an event with a "Wait" Action and only during the Wait. An event without a Wait is completed in milliseconds and really cannot be cancelled. When an Event is in a Wait, it is paused and can be cancelled.

As you found, an event does not need to be running to be on the drop down, all events (running or not) will be available for selection under "Cancel another running event".
            HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Originally posted by jetkit View Post
              The event "Pool Cleaning Cycle" takes 4 hours 15 minutes to complete, and during that it cycles valves and pumps to clean jet circuit, air circuit, spa, pool, etc. I am only using WAIT actions, not timers (yet).
              Long wait actions have created problems for me. I have assumed it was because they tie up a thread and there are a limited number of event threads available, but I do not really know much about how HS works "under the hood".

As an alternative strategy, I'd propose that you break up the event into pieces. Each piece would be a part that is currently separated by a wait action. Then recast each piece as a delayed event. To cancel the new dismembered "event", you can cancel the delayed events related to the pool cleaning.

Also, if you cancel an event like this while it is running, how do you prevent valves and pumps from remaining in the wrong state? Do you have a way to return everything to a "normal" state?
              Last edited by Uncle Michael; June 1, 2017, 10:34 AM.
              Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
              HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Where can I find information on how this works? Some documentation that is not 5 years old and outdated or incomplete?

I am having an issue finding the events I want to cancel in the "Select event to be Cancelled" drop down list, and I can't pinpoint why an event is or is not listed there.

Is there a way to list all events running?

Thanks
                Don't know if this helps. Try to change the "Cancel another running event" into
                "Cancel another delayed event" or "Cancel devices delayed action".
                I use that to cancel my device to turn ON after waiting for a period of time.

Comment

Originally posted by rprade View Post
                  Also, "Cancel another running event" will only work on an event with a "Wait" Action and only during the Wait. An event without a Wait is completed in milliseconds and really cannot be cancelled. When an Event is in a Wait, it is paused and can be cancelled.

As you found, an event does not need to be running to be on the drop down, all events (running or not) will be available for selection under "Cancel another running event".
                  Yep. It did work well after I found my mistake, but I changed all logic anyway.
                  Now I am using a timer and triggering smaller events from it, instead of a 4 hour long event.
                  When I want to stop the process, I just stop the timer and reset all pumps/valves/thermostats to whatever is needed from the request. It is way better, as I can see where the process is just by looking at the timer and setting some device strings.
                  Thanks for the feedback. I know I will need this again in the future.

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Michael View Post
                    Long wait actions have created problems for me. I have assumed it was because they tie up a thread and there are a limited number of event threads available, but I do not really know much about how HS works "under the hood".

As an alternative strategy, I'd propose that you break up the event into pieces. Each piece would be a part that is currently separated by a wait action. Then recast each piece as a delayed event. To cancel the new dismembered "event", you can cancel the delayed events related to the pool cleaning.

Also, if you cancel an event like this while it is running, how do you prevent valves and pumps from remaining in the wrong state? Do you have a way to return everything to a "normal" state?
                    I did almost that. I dismembered the big event into 7 small events, and trigger them with a timer an other conditions. Nothing fancy but works a lot better, no wait statements.
                    Thanks UM

Comment

Originally posted by NL_Logan View Post
                      Don't know if this helps. Try to change the "Cancel another running event" into
                      "Cancel another delayed event" or "Cancel devices delayed action".
                      I use that to cancel my device to turn ON after waiting for a period of time.
                      The issue was that I changed the naming scheme on events I am testing (added a 000 in the name) and forgot, therefore I could not 'find' the event in the drop-down menu to cancel it.
                      I still don't know exactly the difference on running event and delayed event, but both worked once I properly picked them from the drop-down list.

Comment

The issue was that I changed the naming scheme on events I am testing (added a 000 in the name) and forgot, therefore I could not 'find' the event in the drop-down menu to cancel it.
                        I still don't know exactly the difference on running event and delayed event, but both worked once I properly picked them from the drop-down list.
                        A "Delayed Event" is one launched from another event with the Advanced option of "Delay Event Period" set to some value. When that happens a new event that is a duplicate of the called event is created, except that it is assigned a specific time Trigger. The new event is placed in a Delayed Events group and is set to delete itself after running. When the exact time is true, the delayed Event is run and deleted after running. These events are not running and can be canceled with the Action "Cancel a Delayed Event" naming the event.

A running event that is in a Wait, can be stopped and further actions cancelled with the Action "Cancel Another Running Event". As stated in a post above these events can only be cancelled if they are "Waiting".

I have never tested a Delayed Event with a Wait in it. I would guess it the Cancel a Delayed Event will work if it has not triggered and Cancel Another Running Event will work after the Trigger, but before the Wait has elapsed.
                        HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Originally posted by rprade View Post
                          A "Delayed Event" is one launched from another event with the Advanced option of "Delay Event Period" set to some value. When that happens a new event that is a duplicate of the called event is created, except that it is assigned a specific time Trigger. The new event is placed in a Delayed Events group and is set to delete itself after running. When the exact time is true, the delayed Event is run and deleted after running. These events are not running and can be canceled with the Action "Cancel a Delayed Event" naming the event.

A running event that is in a Wait, can be stopped and further actions cancelled with the Action "Cancel Another Running Event". As stated in a post above these events can only be cancelled if they are "Waiting".

I have never tested a Delayed Event with a Wait in it. I would guess it the Cancel a Delayed Event will work if it has not triggered and Cancel Another Running Event will work after the Trigger, but before the Wait has elapsed.
                          WOW. Thanks. HS3 keeps surprising on what can do.

Comment

Working...
                          X