HS3 Z-Wave Doorbell Integration with Example Events

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HS3 Z-Wave Doorbell Integration with Example Events

I have a 20 year old Heath Zenith analog doorbell that uses a solenoid to ring a chime with a doorbell press. I had tried several ways to integrate it into HS3 using Z-wave door sensors, magnetic contacts next to the solenoid and the Nexia Doorbell sensor. None of these worked with quick doorbell presses that generated around 11-12 volts from the transformer. I finally found that a combination of the ELK-930 doorbell detector and the Fortrezz MIMOlite detected every kind of doorbell press.
    I thought I'd share the connection details and a couple of example automation events based on this integration.

Here's a diagram of the wiring connections and devices that get included:

Here is an event that uses a combination of the UltraMon3 plugin and the EventGhost plugin to pop up a URL of a live stream of the BlueIris controlled front door camera on my PC when the doorbell rings.

Here's an event that uses a virtual device and the Kodi plugin to open a live stream of the front door camera on the TV when the doorbell rings. The virtual device is controlled by another event using the EasyTrigger plugin and wattage ranges from the Aeon Smart Switch to determine if the TV is On or Off.

This looks great! Thanks for sharing. I do have the Nexia currently, and it does not recognize quick presses. If this becomes a problem, I will look further into your approach. Again, thanks for sharing the details.

Comment

The Nexia requires a minimum of 14v to trigger a zwave signal. Most quick presses will not generate that voltage. The Elk requires only 1v to detect a doorbell press and my quick press generates 9 to 11v, so I get a hit every time.
      The HS3 event possibilities with different plug-ins are a great bonus. I'm now experimenting with the Sonus and Ultranetcam plugins to generate speech and snapshot events when the doorbell rings.
      Good luck!

Comment

This looks amazing, awesome work!

I was wondering if you guys could look at the doorbell I have and point me in the right direction to get this working.

Link: HomeSeer Forum Post

Comment

The Fortrezz Mimolite solution works for an analog doorbell that uses a transformer where you have access to the transformer and wiring. I'm not sure this would work with your doorbell. I've suggested some ideas for wireless solutions in my post here https://forums.homeseer.com/showpost...20&postcount=4
          Last edited by taylormia; August 9, 2017, 07:43 PM.

Comment

Here's an example of an event that plays a chime MP3 sound file across all the Sonos speakers in the house when the doorbell is pressed. It uses the Mimolite device alert combined with the Sonos plugin:

Comment

Thank you for your recommendations and for offering your help.

When the apartment doorbell button is pressed, the speaker on the intercom rings, maybe I could put a relay and a window sensor somewhere in the circuit. If this would be possible can you point me in the right direction? Especially since everything else in the intercom is rendered useless as it was replaced with a newer system of using my cellphone as the intercom.

mrhappy found the diagram for my intercom:
              http://www.leedan.com/Pacific_AF3600_Diagram.jpg

Comment

This post by taylormia inspired me to take on this project, and though I admit I had no idea what I was doing, I got it to work! Thank you for your inspiration and helpful diagram.

A few questions though:
                1. What is the difference between Latch and Momentary and why was this important?
                2. I paired the MIMOlite in Latch mode, if I were to want to change it to Momentary, how would I go about this? Just unpair from HomeSeer and pair again in Momentary mode?
                3. Are you using the supplied 13.5v power supply for the MIMOlite? It doesn't show in your original post or diagram.

Thank you in advance.
                Last edited by HS14; August 23, 2017, 11:48 PM. Reason: Extra question

Comment

A quick google search should give you info on momentary vs latch. I used the momentary setting by removing the P5 jumper before including the Mimolite to my Z-wave network.
                  To change from latched to momentary, first exclude the Mimolite from the network, remove the P5 jumper and power it down, then power back up and include into the network.
                  Yes, I'm using the power supply that was included with the Mimolite.

Comment

Thank you for your response. I did a search and as far as I can tell the Latch/Momentary only affects the Relay Switch and not the Sensor. Am I correct on this?

Comment

Originally posted by taylormia View Post
                      I have a 20 year old Heath Zenith analog doorbell that uses a solenoid to ring a chime with a doorbell press. I had tried several ways to integrate it into HS3 using Z-wave door sensors, magnetic contacts next to the solenoid and the Nexia Doorbell sensor. None of these worked with quick doorbell presses that generated around 11-12 volts from the transformer. I finally found that a combination of the ELK-930 doorbell detector and the Fortrezz MIMOlite detected every kind of doorbell press.
                      I thought I'd share the connection details and a couple of example automation events based on this integration.

Here's a diagram of the wiring connections and devices that get included:

Here is an event that uses a combination of the UltraMon3 plugin and the EventGhost plugin to pop up a URL of a live stream of the BlueIris controlled front door camera on my PC when the doorbell rings.

Here's an event that uses a virtual device and the Kodi plugin to open a live stream of the front door camera on the TV when the doorbell rings. The virtual device is controlled by another event using the EasyTrigger plugin and wattage ranges from the Aeon Smart Switch to determine if the TV is On or Off.

Thank you for the detailed post! I’m wondering if this setup allows you to turn off the doorbell so it doesn’t ring? We currently have a dog that is recovering from back surgery and don’t want the doorbell to ring so she won’t bark and move around too much. So if we could turn off the bell and maybe just receive Pushover notifications that would be great!
                      HS4 4.2.6.0 &HSTouch Designer 3.0.80
                      Plugin's:
                      BLBackup, BLOccupied, BLShutdown, EasyTrigger, Ecobee, Nest, AK Bond
                      EnvisaLink DSC, PHLocation, Pushover, SONOS, Blue Iris, UltraRachio3,
                      weatherXML, Jon00 Alexa Helper, Network Monitor, MyQ, Z-Wave

Comment

The short answer is - No - the doorbell will ring with this setup. The long answer - For the MIMOlite to output a Zwave signal, it has to sense the output from the ELK-930 which can detect the current of the doorbell activation only if the circuit is closed. Closing the circuit requires the doorbell to be pressed AND the input on the doorbell connected which causes the solenoid to activate the plunger that hits the tone bars which rings the bell.
                        With electronic doorbells such as the Ring Pro - you would have the option to turn off the chime/ring.

Comment

Originally posted by taylormia View Post
                          The short answer is - No - the doorbell will ring with this setup. The long answer - For the MIMOlite to output a Zwave signal, it has to sense the output from the ELK-930 which can detect the current of the doorbell activation only if the circuit is closed. Closing the circuit requires the doorbell to be pressed AND the input on the doorbell connected which causes the solenoid to activate the plunger that hits the tone bars which rings the bell.
                          With electronic doorbells such as the Ring Pro - you would have the option to turn off the chime/ring.
                          a
                          taylormia Thank you very much for posting this solution. It took me a while, but I have finally implemented the solution that you posted and it is working great!

One issue that I ran into while putting this together that I thought others would benefit from was that the positive/negative on my MIMOlite were swapped compared to the wiring diagram that is posted.

Something else that I noticed was that no matter how long I pressed the doorbell, the doorbell sensor device would trigger for about 3 seconds. I'm thinking that is due to the type of doorbell chime that I have. The doorbell chime is an electronic bell that plays from a list of mp3 bell sounds that are preinstalled as well as any other uploaded sound that you choose. The specific bell sound that it currently plays is about 3 seconds long.
                          HS4 4.2.6.0 &HSTouch Designer 3.0.80
                          Plugin's:
                          BLBackup, BLOccupied, BLShutdown, EasyTrigger, Ecobee, Nest, AK Bond
                          EnvisaLink DSC, PHLocation, Pushover, SONOS, Blue Iris, UltraRachio3,
                          weatherXML, Jon00 Alexa Helper, Network Monitor, MyQ, Z-Wave

Comment

Working...
                          X