Zooz Battery Devices not Reporting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Zooz Battery Devices not Reporting

I have been in touch with Zooz about the batteries in their devices not reporting after the initial install. They are telling me that the devices wake up every 12 hours and that they are z-wave plus.

I have not been able to get them to report no matter what I have tried. I have read all of the threads on different suggestions of changing the poll time, optimizing and so forth but no change.

Could this be an issue with HS3 not getting or polling the battery information correctly?

Anyone have an idea?

Originally posted by cowinger View Post
    I have been in touch with Zooz about the batteries in their devices not reporting after the initial install. They are telling me that the devices wake up every 12 hours and that they are z-wave plus.

I have not been able to get them to report no matter what I have tried. I have read all of the threads on different suggestions of changing the poll time, optimizing and so forth but no change.

Could this be an issue with HS3 not getting or polling the battery information correctly?

Anyone have an idea?
    How do you know the battery is not reporting?

Problem with polling a battery device is the device will likely not be awake when HS polls the device. Usually there is a set time when the device will send the battery info to HS.

Polling is also a very old way of getting info since most newer devices especially z-wave plus devices have instant status or automatically send the info when it needs to rather then having the controller always check up on the device to see a change. It much more efficient to just have the device check in when something changes (battery, temp, humidity, motion) rather then asking HS to just keep checking every so often even if nothing has changed in the sensor. Either its a waste of bandwidth or its late by the time you check on it and the changed happened some time ago. So polling is not ideal and not so much of what should be happening much or often.

I'm not sure which Zooz device your talking about but I have Aeon Multisensors which are much better, cheaper and have more functions then the zooz 4-1 sensor. On that sensor I can set the parameters for how often it reports the battery and how much of a battery % change that needs to happen before it automatically (regardless of time) it sends the battery update. Same goes for temp humidity and the rest of the sensors. This is all in the sensor waking up and telling HS not HS polling the sensor.

I looked into the directions for the 4-1 from Zooz and I found parameters 1-7 but none showing for battery reporting interval or % drop. So it just seems to me this device is lacking alot of features to help get all the info you need. The mulitisensor 6 has something like 50 or more permeters of options to change.

Comment

Anyone have an idea?
      Does the root device have an association with HS3?
      💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Originally posted by integlikewhoa View Post
        How do you know the battery is not reporting?
        I have had these since March and they reported once when I first included them. I have the zse09, zse30 and zse40. Zooz says they are looking into it and said to wake it up and do an optimize to get a reading. We all know we can't do that every time.

Problem with polling a battery device is the device will likely not be awake when HS polls the device. Usually there is a set time when the device will send the battery info to HS.
        They said it will send the info (wake up) every 12 hours so I will see. I have had the polling set to 12 hours but it made no difference as you said.

I looked into the directions for the 4-1 from Zooz and I found parameters 1-7 but none showing for battery reporting interval or % drop. So it just seems to me this device is lacking alot of features to help get all the info you need. The mulitisensor 6 has something like 50 or more permeters of options to change.
        This is what I told them also. Hopefully they will come up with a firmware upgrade.

I was just wondering if anyone had come up with a miraculous fix!

Comment

Originally posted by Rupp View Post
          Does the root device have an association with HS3?
          I think this is what you are asking about.
          Attached Files

Comment

Yes that's it. What version of the HS3 Z-Wave plugin are you running? If it's not the latest then I would recommend loading that version and waiting 24 hours for the report.

Comment

Yes that's it. What version of the HS3 Z-Wave plugin are you running? If it's not the latest then I would recommend loading that version and waiting 24 hours for the report.
              I am running 3.0.1.130. The people at Zooz said the following about what they use in their devices. I don't know if it helps or not.

They said "According to the Z-Wave certification documents, the device is confirmed to be using Battery Command Class Version 1 and Wake Up Command Class Version 2"

I will wait the 24 hours and see. thanks

Comment

They said it will send the info (wake up) every 12 hours so I will see. I have had the polling set to 12 hours but it made no difference as you said.!
                Try polling the battery device more often (6 hours). HS will queue the polls until it wakes up. However, from what I understand, it only queues them for a while and then drops them. Polling more often ensures the poll for the battery is in the queue when it wakes up. In your original post you said "I have not been able to get them to report no matter what I have tried." How do you know it's not reporting? Is it at 0%? Or is it at 100%? Under the Config tab for the battery child device, make sure that "Do not update device last change time if device value does not change" is not checked. I have a number of z-wave devices that only report in increments of 10% (i.e. they are at 100% for a long time, then change to 90%, then are at 90% for a long time before changing to 80%, and so on).

Cheers
                Al
                HS 4.2.8.0: 2134 Devices 1252 Events
                Z-Wave 3.0.10.0: 133 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

Originally posted by sparkman View Post
                  Try polling the battery device more often (6 hours). HS will queue the polls until it wakes up. However, from what I understand, it only queues them for a while and then drops them. Polling more often ensures the poll for the battery is in the queue when it wakes up. In your original post you said "I have not been able to get them to report no matter what I have tried." How do you know it's not reporting? Is it at 0%? Or is it at 100%? Under the Config tab for the battery child device, make sure that "Do not update device last change time if device value does not change" is not checked. I have a number of z-wave devices that only report in increments of 10% (i.e. they are at 100% for a long time, then change to 90%, then are at 90% for a long time before changing to 80%, and so on).

Cheers
                  Al
                  I will try 6 hours for polling time and see if that makes a difference. I am assuming the battery still has something there because they all seem to still work. thanks

Comment

I am assuming the battery still has something there because they all seem to still work. thanks
                    So this means that it's currently reading 0%?

and the first time you said it worked what was the % then?

Or has it always read 0% since you installed it some time ago?

Comment

Originally posted by integlikewhoa View Post
                      So this means that it's currently reading 0%?

and the first time you said it worked what was the % then?

Or has it always read 0% since you installed it some time ago?
                      Right now it is reading 91% and that is because I woke it up (3 days ago) and did an optimize on the battery device which is what Zooz told me to do to get a reading. I got a reading the first time I did that (that same 91%) but I cannot get it to do it again. Of course we all know we can't keep waking them up just to get a reading.

The first time I included it, it read 100% back in March.

Comment

I'm pretty sure this is a HomeSeer bug...
                        I have the same problem with Monoprice sensors and old Schlage regular zwave sensors.

They all worked perfectly in vera for years and only show the level in HS when they were installed or manually woke and forced rescan in HS.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Ltek View Post
                          I'm pretty sure this is a HomeSeer bug...
                          I have the same problem with Monoprice sensors and old Schlage regular zwave sensors.

They all worked perfectly in vera for years and only show the level in HS when they were installed or manually woke and forced rescan in HS.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
                          I agree. As I said in a previous post that Zooz said that they use the following:

Battery Command Class Version 1 and Wake Up Command Class Version 2.

So maybe admin can take a look at this and see if they are reading those classes or not.

Comment

You may want to put in a help desk request at support@homeseer.com and ask about this.

Comment

You may want to put in a help desk request at support@homeseer.com and ask about this.
                              Thanks Rupp. I have submitted a request. Appreciate your help.

Comment

Working...
                              X