Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bali Shades - anyone use them? Is there a script or plugin?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have 6 of these z-wave shades in my sunroom.
    One is solar powered which works great for the shade on the slider which is bigger than the others and obviously heavier. The original battery only lasted maybe 6 mo but the solar power option has always been at 100%. I haven't tried just putting it up and down constantly until the batteries die which sounds like fun - hmmm...
    The shades go down at 30 min after sunset (which is when it usually gets pretty dark here) and up at sunrise. The ones on the east side go down in the morning in summer to keep it from heating up too much but then go up at 1pm when the sun is no longer shining in.

All the shades are individually controlled with Alexa and I (and my wife - serious WAF+) can control them as a group. Normally use Alexa instead of the remotes.

Comment

Originally posted by DrZWave View Post
      I have 6 of these z-wave shades in my sunroom.
      One is solar powered which works great for the shade on the slider which is bigger than the others and obviously heavier. The original battery only lasted maybe 6 mo but the solar power option has always been at 100%. I haven't tried just putting it up and down constantly until the batteries die which sounds like fun - hmmm...
      The shades go down at 30 min after sunset (which is when it usually gets pretty dark here) and up at sunrise. The ones on the east side go down in the morning in summer to keep it from heating up too much but then go up at 1pm when the sun is no longer shining in.

All the shades are individually controlled with Alexa and I (and my wife - serious WAF+) can control them as a group. Normally use Alexa instead of the remotes.
      Can you post some pics of the solar panel and how its connected. Does it work with the orginal battery tray but filled with rechargeables instead? Any part numbers or where to order solar add on? This wasn't an option from home depot for me.
      Thanks

Comment

Solar is an option you can get from HD or Lowes. Problem is people working there don't know jack about what they are selling.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Ltek View Post
          Solar is an option you can get from HD or Lowes. Problem is people working there don't know jack about what they are selling.

I built mine online myself from homedepot.com before I went into the store and there was no option online. When they built it I watched and there was no option for them to add. Only option was dual battery or single tray. Also with or without battery (called preloaded with batterys or not). Maybe they could have called the manufacture to add it but it was not on computer order system. Or maybe it was the options I choose that took that solor option away. Inside mount or something vs. outside. I'm wondering the part number know to see how much it would be to add it. But I'm not sure where I would mount it. I have inside mounts and windows slide open. So sticking to a window wouldn't work.

Look at "dig into the details" and then step #2
          http://homedepot.baliblinds.com/motorized_treatments/

Comment

I don't know about online but I did my quote in store. The system they us is not intuitive... The person and I had to hunt around to figure out where options were as they were often hidden. It was there, just under motor options or something, on a different screen.
            It's not the fault of the staff... They are not trained much, if at all... I've had several staff at both Lowes and home depot tell me exactly that. In contrast, the appliance people seem to get all the training they need.

Comment

Whats the cost how does it work? Give some info?

Comment

Originally posted by integlikewhoa View Post
                Whats the cost how does it work? Give some info?
                I don't remember the exact cost... I also got a quote for 7k worth of shades so a decent discount... I think it was 50 per window extra. I haven't bought them yet so I cannot comment on functionality

Comment

Originally posted by Ltek View Post
                  I don't remember the exact cost... I also got a quote for 7k worth of shades so a decent discount... I think it was 50 per window extra. I haven't bought them yet so I cannot comment on functionality

7k for 16 shades is $437.50 per shade. If you figure that it was $50.00 extra for solar that's $387.50 per shade. Sizing and style matters. But doesn't seem like a super huge discount considering the 5.5 footers I got were 315.00 each. There was a 30% off at that time though and that might be the same discount you were getting.

Have you tried building them on here.
                  https://www.zebrablinds.com/graber-r...ellular-shades

I think I might got hat route next. But I see that exact same battery options as depot on this site also.

EDIT: A chat with them, which they were the ones originally to give me info on Graber vs. Bali and who made the z-wave and who made the motors (so they seem to be somewhat knowledgeable in the area) found they do make solar for the non zwave motors but they said not the z-wave ones. I'm still looking for a part number or pics or something so I can find out where to possibly order some for mine.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Not sure im following? This is a newly remodeled master bedroom and not shown bathroom. The closet is on the back wall and the windows are on the side walls. The front wall towards the street is behind me and not shown.

Base and crown moldings were installed today and still a few projects left before furniture, tv and such.
                    That wall to right of your blind. Dark with what looked liked 8 plasmas mounted 4x2 in a horizontal row. Just looked cool.

Comment

Originally posted by Tomgru View Post
                      That wall to right of your blind. Dark with what looked liked 8 plasmas mounted 4x2 in a horizontal row. Just looked cool.
                      LOL. I wish it were true.

Those are glass sliding doors (4 of them each with 4 panels) for the closet. They came out good but those are IKEA PAX closet sets that got built in. Nothing high end here.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/ca...bedroom/19086/
                      Attached Files

Comment

Anyway to buy the motors by themselves and put into existing blinds?

Comment

Originally posted by ckellyusa View Post
                          Anyway to buy the motors by themselves and put into existing blinds?
                          Did you see the pictures?

I don't see how that is possible for a few reasons.

One, they say somfy motors but looking at what I have and googling somfy motors I don't see the same motor, let alone for sale.

Two, the z-wave part is not made by somfy but rather buy Graber. Graber is in the blind business (bali parent company) not the z-wave or motor sales business. So I haven't seen any part numbers or anything for them.

Three, I think this is all too new and they come with a warranty so parts are probley not floating around in the outside world yet.

Four, the somfy motor kit I looked into buying (even on ebay) before buying blinds was 199.00 without zwave or a remote. That's just motor and battery kit. I paid 315.00 for the whole blinds, motor, remote and with a warranty. It seems that buying everything seperatly would not currently be cheaper and definitely not easier or have a warranty.

Comment

Are the batteries rechargeable? I'm thinking I might hardwire them.
                            Originally posted by rprade
                            There is no rhyme or reason to the anarchy a defective Z-Wave device can cause

Comment

Originally posted by S-F View Post
                              Are the batteries rechargeable? I'm thinking I might hardwire them.
                              It comes with this
                              http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bali-Autovie...%257Ciid%253A1

Its a holder for 8 AA batteries. The batteries they sent mine with are these
                              http://www.energizer.com/batteries/e...hium-batteries

I'm not sure how bad the total voltage drop is (I think 12v down to 9.6v?) or how well the rechargeable batteries will do in the wand, but you can certialy install 8 Rechargeable AA batteries in the wand.

EDIT: you can also plug on battery pack into another. It has a male and female on each side of the pack to create a chain of atleast two packs for longer life. This was also an option to have an extra battery pack when I purchased mine.

The shades in the cheapest form come with a 12v wall wort to power them. The battery pack is an extra charge I believe or maybe it was same cost just an option of either wall or or battery pack. But hardwired 12v is an option. The connectors use USB micro B on the pack and pigtail of the blinds.

I use the same batteries in my door locks and they last forever. I'm gonna ride out the first set of batteries and see what happens then take it from there if its too short of a time. I like the solor idea but that would imply that rechargeable batteries are ok. Besides that one user that says they are an option I have yet to find any pictures, data or suppliers saying it is an option for these new style blinds to have a solar panel. (I know it was an option on the non z-wave shades, but they also used a different battery pack and connectors also)

Still looking for any info supporting the fact solar is an option or where to get it.
                              Last edited by integlikewhoa; July 12, 2017, 01:44 PM.

Comment

And they are here! The Bali "autoview" are indeed z-wave plus. They have a button and a light on the end of them for inclusion and exclusion. Looks like they made the end cap the antenna z-wave modal, button, light and such all into an end cap. It added directly to homeseer and created 3 child devices as seen in the pics. I still haven't had them more then an hour nor tested them to hard or set events yet. But if you have any questions I'll try and test them for you. Here is some pics to help show how it works.
                                Do you have to add them to Homeseer using the end cap of the blinds? I just had two roller shades installed today and have the small zwave+ remotes, but they're like 15 feet up in the air. Want to know if I need to get a giant ladder to add to Homeseer or (hopefully) can add them using the remote. Thx!

Comment

Working...
                                X