Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bali Shades - anyone use them? Is there a script or plugin?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Blackbeard View Post
    Hey Folks. Hoping for some help. I've got a bunch of these Bali blinds and so far I am really liking them. I have a few questions though.

1. When I set up a new blind, it creates a ton of device entries. See the screenshot below

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-03-16 at 11.48.03 AM.png
Views:	223
Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	1292852
    I've changed the names, but I think the bottom two were originally "Switch" and "Multi-level" before modifying them. What exactly is the difference between these two? I know switch doesn't have the slider, but multi-level had on/off which I renamed and they do exactly the same thing as the switch as far as I can tell. I've hidden switch from Mobile views because I think the interface looks cleaner without both of them and I get the same functionality from just showing multi-level.

Name:	IMG_1345.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	73.0 KB
ID:	1292853

It seems to be working just fine, but I just want to make sure I'm not missing something without having switch available.

2. What does "Last" actually do? I thought it would go to whatever the last multi-level setting the blind was at before going full on/off. That doesn't appear to be the case. It just goes to about 50%. Is a better label for that button "memory" or "pre-set" than calling it last? If that is the case, how do I change that pre-set level?

3. I have a few scenes set up that use the blinds. When I hit "Movie Time" it turns on the project, slowly dims the lights, and closes the blinds. It's pretty awesome. I just set an action to control a device and set each shade to closed using the mutltilevel closed function in stead of the switch.

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-03-16 at 12.02.28 PM.png
Views:	204
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	1292854
    *Most* of the time it works as expected. Sometimes one or two of the shades will get about half way and then kind of slowly stop moving. It ONLY happens when I use them in scenes. The batteries are fine as well. My current theories are 1) I should be using switch instead of multi-level or 2) Sending 3 z-wave commands simultaneously is making the network choke.

Most of my devices are Insteon so I'm not very familiar with z-wave. Insteon has a group functionality for sending commands to multiple devices at the same time. It's more efficient and makes them all respond at the same time. Is there a group functionality for z-wave that I should be using instead?

Any help here would be greatly appreciated! These blinds are fantastic though. I have them in my office, master bedroom, and our theater. I think I'll get them for the rest of the house soon based on how happy we are with the ones we have now!
    Have you had any luck figuring out the issue under #3. I have about 16 blinds and also have this issue randomly when telling the blind to go to a certain position. Going the opposite direction in full like up or down fixes it and I can request the certain position again and it seems to work every time. Until another random time.

Comment

Still no luck. I tried optimizing the zwave network. Then I moved all my scenes to use the binary switch instead of the slider. Thought I had it fixed, but it still only works about 70% of the time. I tried setting up a z-wave scene as well but apparently that is not supported. Any additional advice would be most welcome.

Comment

I seemed to have success when i changed all my switches to use the 1000 and 1001 commands that the remotes that came with the blinds send when pressing up and down. The default up and down commands programmed by HS when adding the blind are like 0 and 99 for full up and full down. This way i could double tap a switch to send the same code as the remote for up which i programmed as "raise" and then i could double tap the down for "lower" and it would stop, not reverse and lower all the way to close. Things seemed to work well while i was just doing that.

Then i added the easy trigger plugin and started adding the blind settings to a stack, lowering the blinds, and then upon an event pulling the setting from the memory and putting the blinds back where they were originally like when i come home, and then they started randomly not going where they needed to. I will say, it appears that more blinds to it more often than others. With the 40k speed of the blind zwaves, and the fact i am sending the same codes that sometimes work and sometimes don't, i am starting to really wonder if it is a signal issue. Sending the same command twice though i don't think would fix it because when it screws up it seems i always have to move in the opposite direction before the blind will respond again.

Let me know any thoughts or experiences you have had that might contradict mine.

Comment

oh and i have found optimizing the entire network in HS just screws things up and slows things down. Best thing i have heard and really have had great experience with is to back up the network and then restore it. this eliminates all the data about neighbors for each node which is created with the optimizations. Then run several communication tests (keeps all nodes direct to the controller this way) and after several if there are some nodes not communicating then run an optimize on a single node central node between the controller and the node not responding. I actually did optimize a few times on 2 specific nodes towards extreme sides of the house where there were nodes having issues. Then run a communication test a few times and boom. Doing this, my communication test of 80ish nodes is done in 18 seconds and includes about 15 blinds that always take longer on the test. and the communication stays close to this. when i used to do the full optimization, all the nodes would start going through other nodes to get to the controller and it would be right next to the controller but bounce to 3 other nodes first. I would see a full minute on a communication test and commands would take 5 seconds to respond. single commands are almost always less than 1 second now.

Comment

I tried changing the values to 1000 and 2000 which seem to be the ones used by the remotes. It only worked one direction, not the other. I tried 1001 like you mentioned in your post but that didn't work either. The config page on my remotes says 1001 indicates the button was released, not the close command. I might be doing something wrong, but this did not resolve the issue for me.

One thing for others that are having these same issues. Check your logs. There's definitely something funky going on. I'll see that the command for "open" gets sent and logged. Then randomly I'll see that the devices value has been changed to some other value. Not sure where/why that's happening, but maybe it's a clue.

Comment

althe close, open, lower, and raise commands work. Lower and raise is what i use. Maybe your blinds are a different version with different codes. I just watched to log for the remotes to figure out the 1000 and 1001

Comment

Originally posted by integlikewhoa View Post
                And some more pics.

​​​​​​Hello Sir.

I'm looking into Bali blinds which you seem to have, but I'm running into a width limit of these roller blinds. One of my windows is 20" wider than what the Home Depot website will allow me to order.

In post #6, your window looks like it's 100". Did you have issues with Max widths their willing to build these blinds ?

Any good second choices for automated blinds?

Thanks.
                HSPro: 3.0.0.194
                PL: Insteon PLM 3.0.5.20,Insteon Thermostat 3.0.1.1 , UltraM1G, RainRelay8, UltraECM3, UltraPioneerAVR3, BLBackup, weatherXML, Jon00 Network & PC Monitor
                HW : Win 7 64bit, Intel i7-2600, 16 GB DDR3 Ram, 60 Plus Insteon Dual Band Devices, Rain8 Pro2, Elk M1 Gold, Brueltech GreenEye.

Comment

Originally posted by CharlieWayne View Post

In post #6, your window looks like it's 100". Did you have issues with Max widths their willing to build these blinds ?
                  That window is 68" wide and 26" tall.

If you go too wide you need to put two units butted up against each other.

Comment

Thanks, your window looked much wider but see it was just short.

Found a Bali Solar Shade that will make in a 105" width, that is motorized.

Question about power.
                    They have options for batteries, or less expensive a transformer for $55 each. But at 6 windows x $55, thats over $350 with tax. I plan to run LV Power drop downs to the blinds, and use my own power supply.

What is the Voltage and Current these blinds operate off of?

Can you share a picture of the power receptacle on the blind? (wondering if its proprietary)
                    HSPro: 3.0.0.194
                    PL: Insteon PLM 3.0.5.20,Insteon Thermostat 3.0.1.1 , UltraM1G, RainRelay8, UltraECM3, UltraPioneerAVR3, BLBackup, weatherXML, Jon00 Network & PC Monitor
                    HW : Win 7 64bit, Intel i7-2600, 16 GB DDR3 Ram, 60 Plus Insteon Dual Band Devices, Rain8 Pro2, Elk M1 Gold, Brueltech GreenEye.

Comment

Originally posted by Blackbeard View Post
                      I tried changing the values to 1000 and 2000 which seem to be the ones used by the remotes. It only worked one direction, not the other. I tried 1001 like you mentioned in your post but that didn't work either. The config page on my remotes says 1001 indicates the button was released, not the close command. I might be doing something wrong, but this did not resolve the issue for me.

One thing for others that are having these same issues. Check your logs. There's definitely something funky going on. I'll see that the command for "open" gets sent and logged. Then randomly I'll see that the devices value has been changed to some other value. Not sure where/why that's happening, but maybe it's a clue.
                      Did you ever get this issue resolved? I'm seeing the same thing. One thing I've noticed is the indicator light on the shade will blink red after the shade stops moving which makes me think there is a communication issue. I talked with Bali Automation today and say they've never heard of this issue before.

Comment

Nope. Still having the same issue. I have also noticed the lights blinking when it fails. Would be awesome to get a fix for this. Sometimes it works as expected. Rest of the time it's just a guessing game and then I have to close each one individually. Very frustrating.

Comment

Working...
                        X