Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need help from a windows 10 pro

Hello and good morning everyone,

I have two Dell desktops that run all the time. One running Blue Iris, and the other HS3. I'm not a PC user generally so not as familiar as I would like to be, but I was able to figure out how to make the machine log on automatically without having to type a password. Reason I am trying to do this, inevitably when I am out of town, one or the other crashes and I have to get my mom to come to my house to try to restart the machine. I have since connected them both to a web controlled power switch so I can power cycle them from anywhere. One machine logs on no problem. The other one (the HS3 machine), every time says the password is incorrect. I type in the password and it then continues to log on. Next time, same thing. I have them using local machine, not microsoft logon. Any idea why this machine isn't keeping the correct password when I type it in? I'm going out of town for a week and want to get this fixed before I go just in case. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks everyone,
    John

Originally posted by jonjonbear View Post
    Hello and good morning everyone,

I have two Dell desktops that run all the time. One running Blue Iris, and the other HS3. I'm not a PC user generally so not as familiar as I would like to be, but I was able to figure out how to make the machine log on automatically without having to type a password. Reason I am trying to do this, inevitably when I am out of town, one or the other crashes and I have to get my mom to come to my house to try to restart the machine. I have since connected them both to a web controlled power switch so I can power cycle them from anywhere. One machine logs on no problem. The other one (the HS3 machine), every time says the password is incorrect. I type in the password and it then continues to log on. Next time, same thing. I have them using local machine, not microsoft logon. Any idea why this machine isn't keeping the correct password when I type it in? I'm going out of town for a week and want to get this fixed before I go just in case. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks everyone,
    John
    I am not a pro

The only way to get a Windows machine to start automatically without entering a password is using netplwiz.exe and setting it for a user to auto logon. Is that how you did it?

I would also suggest disabling UAC.
    HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.16 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Originally posted by rprade View Post
      I am not an expert

The only way to get a Windows machine to start automatically without entering a password is using netplwiz.exe and setting it for a user to auto logon. Is that how you did it?
      Yes indeed. Oddly it worked at first, now it says the password is wrong. One would think typing the password in correctly would fix it, and that it would remember it but it appears it is keeping the incorrect password.

Thanks,

John

Comment

Yes indeed. Oddly it worked at first, now it says the password is wrong. One would think typing the password in correctly would fix it, and that it would remember it but it appears it is keeping the incorrect password.

Thanks,

John
        Did you launch netplwiz and enter the password again (twice)? Entering the password at logon does not write a new value to those stored by netplwiz and changing the password on the machine leaves the original now incorrect password as the auto logon password.

Comment

Did you launch netplwiz and enter the password again (twice)? Entering the password at logon does not write a new value to those stored by netplwiz and changing the password on the machine leaves the original now incorrect password as the auto logon password.
          I don't think I did, but anything is possible. I'm at work logged onto the machine right now so I ran netplwiz, and it shows under the user tab "users must enter a user name and password to use this computer" is unchecked.

It shows username and group, having one admin user which is correct.

Below that, are three buttons "add", "remove", and "properties" they are all grayed out and cannot be selected.

At the bottom of the box it says "Password for username" then "to change your password, press ctrl-alt-delete and select change password. there is also a button that says "reset password" but it is grayed out.

Now if I go back up and check the box "users must enter a username...." then the "add" and "properties" buttons become active but the "reset password" does not. If I do the ctrl-alt-delete, and pull up the screen to change the password, would this fix it?
          Thanks,
          John

Comment

I don't think I did, but anything is possible. I'm at work logged onto the machine right now so I ran netplwiz, and it shows under the user tab "users must enter a user name and password to use this computer" is unchecked.

It shows username and group, having one admin user which is correct.

Below that, are three buttons "add", "remove", and "properties" they are all grayed out and cannot be selected.

At the bottom of the box it says "Password for username" then "to change your password, press ctrl-alt-delete and select change password. there is also a button that says "reset password" but it is grayed out.

Now if I go back up and check the box "users must enter a username...." then the "add" and "properties" buttons become active but the "reset password" does not. If I do the ctrl-alt-delete, and pull up the screen to change the password, would this fix it?
            Thanks,
            John
            Check the box, then Apply. Uncheck the box, then Apply. You should be asked to enter and confirm the password. Use the one that you use to logon at startup.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	1
Size:	19.9 KB
ID:	1191522

Comment

Here is another way to have windows auto login and what I use for my HS server and a couple workstations I have around the house solely for HSTouch.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...gon-in-windows

It utilizes the registry to make the changes, and I suspect if you are getting a password failure, you might have something already in the registry that is causing you issues.

Comment

Check the box, then Apply. Uncheck the box, then Apply. You should be asked to enter and confirm the password. Use the one that you use to logon at startup.

[ATTACH]62186[/ATTACH]
                This did it! Thanks so much for the help. Not exactly sure how I messed it up but it's working now, so mommy won't have to try to figure it out if it dies! :-)

Thanks guys for all the tips!

John

Comment

Working...
                X