Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Correct and Full Backup

Hi Guys,

Currently running a version of Homeseer about 2 minor versions out of date. I've been putting off the update because the last two times I've upgraded, it's corrupted my devices. Some will disappear, some will just not work right.

So, before I go an update again. What's the best way to get a full backup? Previously I have tried restoring the .HSD file but that never restores the devices.

What are the key files I need to restore to get my devices back? (Ideally without restoring the whole folder and removing the update!)

Thanks

Here backup the entire Homeseer directory in Linux for a sure bet backup.

Yesterday updated to HS3 V.348.

1 - shut down Homeseer3
    2 - backed up the HS3 directory to backup directory renaming it with yesterdays date
    3 - updated HS3 manually
    4 - rebooted to start HS3 new version.

If something fails I stop Homeseer, remove current directory and restore backup directory.

For a nightly backup just utilize one of the many 3rd party backups available.
    - Pete

Auto mator
    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
    Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
    HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
    HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

I'm sure I've done that in the past and my devices are still messed up. Hence the question, I wondered if they were stored elsewhere.

I found a Homeseer directory under c:\program data but that didn't seem to fix it either.

Comment

I wondered if they were stored elsewhere.

They are not.

Relating to Z-Wave HS3 keeps a copy of what is stored on the Z-Wave controller. The Z-Wave controller only stores Z-Wave node information and nothing else.

Here have been doing this since the Homeseer 2 days and it always has worked for me.

For Windows Homeseer 3 is not a 64 bit program. It resides and always has resided in one directory in Windows.

Personally here have historically kept the directory name to Homeseer when installing. In Linux I use the root directory.

/HomeSeer

In Windows 32 bit mode used C:\Program Files\Homeseer

It doesn't make sense that the devices would get messed up unless you had a database open when backing up the directory. Hence shut down the Homeseer application to do this. Leaving a database open or Homeseer running can corrupt a database.

Note that shutting down Homeseer and associated plugins can take a bit sometimes with lingering plugins. It is not instant such that I would wait at least 30 seconds before copying the Homeseer directory.

Copying the entire directory freezes all databases, ini files, data directories, bin files, licenses et al.

Here with Linux utilize a manual backup right before updating whether it is a plugin or the version of Homeseer. I will test run it for 24 hours. If it doesn't work then restore the backup deleting the updated directory.

Best to do a dry run and test it yourself.

1 - shut down Homeseer (most important part)
        2 - copy the Homeseer directory anywhere
        3 - rename the currently running Homeseer directory to Homeseer.bak
        4 - copy over the backup directory and run Homeseer.
        5 - you will see that nothing has changed.

Aside from backing up the directory here have done a snapshot image of the partition should the OS drive go bad.

In Windows created a small C drive around 20Gb in size running Windows server. Backing up the partition and storing it on a NAS drive took 10 minutes or so.

In Linux I backup the entire OS media which is 16Gb to 32Gb.

If something happens to the OS drive where it becomes defective or corrupt, I just purchase new media and restore a backup image to the media.

One thing always done here is that I have dedicated a computer to Homeseer. It is not a computer utilized for surfing or anything else but running Homeseer.

Shutting down and updating HS3 day before yesterday took 10 minutes here:

Current Date/Time: 8/4/2017 6:55:38 AM
        HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.348
        Linux version: Linux ICS-HS3Pro 4.4.0-87-generic #110-Ubuntu SMP Tue Jul 18 12:55:35 UTC 2017 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux System Uptime: 1 Day 6 Hours 49 Minutes 39 Seconds

Timeframe should be identical in Windows.
        Last edited by Pete; August 4, 2017, 06:58 AM.
        - Pete

Auto mator
        Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
        Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
        HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
        HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Pete,

I use BLbackup to keep a backup of the hs3 directory every so often. Im worried mow about no hs3 shut down during backup but never had an issue.

Comment

Working...
          X