Smartthings as Secondary or Remote controller

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smartthings as Secondary or Remote controller

I'm wondering if it's possible to add Smartthings to Homeseer as a secondary or remote controller. Would be nice to combine both powers. I searched the Forum, but found nothing special, just rumors at least 1 year old. Any updates on this? Thanks a lot!

Originally posted by adanchenko View Post
    I'm wondering if it's possible to add Smartthings to Homeseer as a secondary or remote controller. Would be nice to combine both powers. I searched the Forum, but found nothing special, just rumors at least 1 year old. Any updates on this? Thanks a lot!
    Just curious what kind of things it would add? Would it allow local control (direct from sensor to Smartthings to HS3) or would the cloud be thrown in the middle of that even for something like a zigbee door sensor?

Comment

This would add tons of values:
      1. High availability. If one of them freezes, the other will pick up the network and events;
      2. Smartthings and how to modify it is much more described on forums;
      3. This will add a reliable Zigbee network through Smartthings;
      4. Lots and lots of other goodies.

Comment

Here I have replicated the Homeseer ZWave network over to the Smartthings Hub.

Both see the same devices (both are primary). Homeseer sees the Smartthings Hub but there is no communication between the two networks even though they are identical with the same nodes.

IE: if I enable a ZWave light switch on Homeseer; the Samsung Smartthings hub does not see the status of the node and vice versa.

This has been brought up before. You can configure a node to utilize the two controllers via Homeseer. It would cause a management nightmare.
        - Pete

Auto mator
        Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
        Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
        HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
        HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

I used Wink as a secondary controller for a couple of months just to see. It did cause a management nightmare and after a while I started losing connectivity with several nodes. No status, no control, etc. Once I removed Wink as a secondary and threw it in the "unused" closet I haven't had a single problem.

Comment

I clearly understand this. That's why that would be awesome if somebody could make a plugin to talk to Smartthings...

Comment

I've left the connection alone along with the Leviton VRCOP connection.

Homeseer Z-Wave nodes are not configured to talk to the Leviton VRCOP or the Smartthings hub.

The Leviton VRCOP Z-Wave connection doesn't need the cloud to work.

All three talk fine to the nodes autonomously and that works for me.

The Zigbee network is configured/connected to wireless battery operated trinkets.

The Z-Wave network does not talk to wireless battery operated trinkets.

The Leviton OmniPro panel talks to mostly wired sensors and testing wireless battery operated sensors. (and talks X10, UPB, Z-Wave and Zigbee).

The Smartthings hub talks to the Leviton OmniPro 2 panel (except for security on and things). IE: the Smartthings interface sees Zigbee, ZWave and my OmniPro 2 panel.

Homeseer sees/talks to X10, UPB, Z-Wave and the OmniPro 2 panel. (so Homeseer here controls Zigbee via the OmniPro 2 panel plugin)
              Last edited by Pete; August 29, 2017, 10:06 AM.
              - Pete

Auto mator
              Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
              Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
              HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
              HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Re-opening this thread to possibly continue the discussion. I like to play around with different hubs to see what they offer. The one thing I always learn is that I continue to use homeseer as the backbone of my automation. But I do like to exploit the unique capabilities of each hub.

For example I have zigbee devices connected to my Wink Hub which in turn is connected to Allonis MyServer which in turn is connected to homeseer. I use Allonis for touchscreen control - their new web interfaces (IMO) are unmatched and I also use them for audio/video integration - again extremely professional as I think they cut their teeth in sports bars controlling 100s of TVs.

I have a smartthings hub but currently it doesn't talk to any of my other hubs so I can't do much with it. I would like to have it talk to homeseer as it has some particularly nice plugins I am using - for example one that talks to my Blink cameras. In fact this plugin was developed by a third-party called Rboy - who might be interested in creating something for homeseer if enough people show interest.

Comment

Originally posted by simonmason View Post
                  for example one that talks to my Blink cameras. In fact this plugin was developed by a third-party called Rboy - who might be interested in creating something for homeseer if enough people show interest.
                  I hope you gain the intrest that you look for, but I think Smartthings and wink are more of a toy grade thing. I also think that Blink Cameras are on that same level. So it makes sense that they go hand in hand.

I generally think people in HomeSeer spend a bit more money and stick to products that have a stable background. Many of us stick with wired as much as possible and avoid cloud base for as much as possible and all critical features for sure.

I'm not sure that "Blink" has a big enough footprint in the homeseer community, but if it did creating a plugin for direct connection would be the way to go rather then running threw another hub.

I would post that up in the camera section and see what you come up with, you might find the following your looking for.

Comment

Thanks for the responses. Blink was just an example of something that sits outside of the homeseer ecosystem and yet is easily accessible to smartthings. My interest lies in broader applications - such as the portfolio of zigbee devices it supports.

I don't want to get into the philosophical discussion of zigbee under homeseer - this is well discussed in other threads and to the best of my knowledge still not resolved. But there are devices and price points in zigbee that are not available under zwave, etc. that I would like to incorporate into my setup.

As an aside I have been running blink cameras for several years now and have been very impressed. I originally used them to supplement my wired cameras but have over time started to replace the wired cameras. There are limitations with this approach but for my application convenience and features trump the drawbacks.

Comment

Originally posted by simonmason View Post
                      Thanks for the responses. Blink was just an example of something that sits outside of the homeseer ecosystem and yet is easily accessible to smartthings. My interest lies in broader applications - such as the portfolio of zigbee devices it supports.

I don't want to get into the philosophical discussion of zigbee under homeseer - this is well discussed in other threads and to the best of my knowledge still not resolved. But there are devices and price points in zigbee that are not available under zwave, etc. that I would like to incorporate into my setup.

As an aside I have been running blink cameras for several years now and have been very impressed. I originally used them to supplement my wired cameras but have over time started to replace the wired cameras. There are limitations with this approach but for my application convenience and features trump the drawbacks.

Same here.
                      tenholde

Comment

Samsung Smartthings / Cooktop

All

My cooktop went out and I am looking for a replacement.
                        Samsung has a connected cooktop. What I think this could be used for is, leave the house, push that the cooktop is still on.

But of course, it connects via smartThings.

http://www.samsung.com/ca/cooking-ap...a30k6550ts-aa/

Comment

Originally posted by rogerdalebrown View Post
                          All

My cooktop went out and I am looking for a replacement.
                          Samsung has a connected cooktop. What I think this could be used for is, leave the house, push that the cooktop is still on.

But of course, it connects via smartThings.

http://www.samsung.com/ca/cooking-ap...a30k6550ts-aa/
                          I like that cooktop, although it doesn't look like you can turn it off via the app just see if it's on or off.

If the cooktop is anything like their family hub refrigerator the hub is not required to use it. Just install the IOS app for it.

https://www.samsung.com/us/explore/f...connected-hub/
                          HS4 Pro on Shuttle NC10U, Win10; Z-NET
                          Number of Devices: 1005
                          Number of Events: 293

Plug-Ins: BLLock, DirecTv, EasyTrigger, Honeywell WiFi Thermostat, Marquis monoprice Amp, MeiHarmonyHub, PHLocation2, Pushover 3P, UltraM1G3, rnbWeather, Worx Landroid, Z-Wave

External applications: Homebridge-homeseer, Geofency, EgiGeoZone.

Comment

Samsung Smartthings / Cooktop

I believe a plugin from SmartTHings to HS would allow us to send a push message to users if geofence said, everyone gone. Cooktop still on.

Comment

Originally posted by jmaddox View Post
                              I like that cooktop, although it doesn't look like you can turn it off via the app just see if it's on or off.

If the cooktop is anything like their family hub refrigerator the hub is not required to use it. Just install the IOS app for it.

https://www.samsung.com/us/explore/f...connected-hub/
                              Do you happen to have that fridge? I've been looking at it and the cooktop mentioned. Anyone get these working with HS? The other option for me is the GE smart appliances since they seem to offer more compatibility.

Comment

Working...
                              X