High availability for Homeseer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did anyone try to make a cluster of two Homeseer computers for high availability? Please share details how did you accomplish that.

I noticed that my computer freezes once every month or so, but home automation needs to be there 24/7/365...

You might consider one of the HomeTroller controllers. They are built to just run with little to no intervention required.
    HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
    54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
    Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

I'd start by trying to diagnose and fix the cause of the freezes. That is not normal in my experience. I have run for years without a crash of HS.
      Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
      HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Not having issues / crashes running HS3 Lite (Zee2) on an ARM CPU or HS3 Pro on an Intel CPU today.

I would do what Mike has mentioned above relating to diagnosing the issues.

Note that rebooting a Homeseer computer once a day or week doesn't fix anything.

Here is a Homeseer users computer that has run some 25 days now with no reboots. Note this computer is also a NAS box and WeeWx weather station box and running one Oracle VB W7 Professional.

I filtered a look see to mono processes and what is shown below is actually about 50% of the mono processes running.

The CPU here is an iSeries 3 with 16Gb of memory. Using Homeseer only on an RPi-2-3 doesn't make it work hard at all.

[ATTACH]63042[/ATTACH]
        Last edited by Pete; August 29, 2017, 11:04 AM.
        - Pete

Auto mator
        Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
        Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
        HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
        HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Another vote for HS3 on a Zee

Linux platform is the way to go! It just runs and runs. At $199 and low power, my Zee sits on the wall and runs. I love it!

Comment

Originally posted by Andy View Post
            Linux platform is the way to go! It just runs and runs. At $199 and low power, my Zee sits on the wall and runs. I love it!
            I just checked a Zee2 that I deployed for a friend and he's been up for > 36d and counting. His system just runs. I do need to get him a small UPS. The good thing about that is a UPS will run for HOURS with a Zee2
            HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
            54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
            Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

I have HS3 standard for Linux running on an RPI 3 that i built Raspbian Jessie lite. I built up the OS on my own. I can leave my system alone for months on end, but I have opted instead to automate my system's reboot on the first Monday of every other month. The system auto-starts HS3 as a service on boot-up and runs some maintenance scripts on start up. I also have a script setup to stop the HS3 service gracefully which price on restart. Lastly, I have a script that ensures any of my system changes are committed daily. For me it all runs like a well oiled machine. I don't honestly remember the last time I had my HS3 service go down out of band.

I don't know that you can cluster the HS3 software natively. What you could do is stand up a separate network monitoring tool that could be configured to check an HTTP site. Then on a failure it could be set to run a bash script or PS script on a backup server that could then be configured to start a backup duplicate copy of HS3 as a service. That would give you redundant HS3 and HS3 server's.

I agree with the other posts, the HS3 service is pretty stable on its own. I suspect there may be something on your system that needs to be addressed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              Last edited by Kerat; August 29, 2017, 09:45 PM.

Comment

Comment

I agree that HS is very stable. But that does not assure high availability.

You need a second PC to create a redundant system. Also don't forget your critical interfaces. Maybe you need also a second Z-wave interface (in my case I have two identical Z-nets).

---
                  John

Comment

I understand. Your original post had me looking at a 4 RPi cluster (which was 3 RPi2's and 1 RPi1).

I would like to tinker in to the RPi world of clustering.

Here with Homeseer 2 Pro I did have a duplicate back up PC running. I had an exploding cap issue with one Intel motherboard. I purchased a duplicate and when I fixed the first one I made a new duplicate PC. This was the only hardware issue that I ever had with the Homeseer 2 boxes. (well three boxes)

I utilize two (testing) computers today for Homeseer Lite and one for Homeseer Pro. Only hardware issue to date has been the microSD card in the Pine64.

Homeseer Pro machine is running on a LAMP server which is sitting next to another LAMP server being utilized for other stuff. Homeseer is just a directory.

I can connect to the ZNet like device with any Homeseer server. I have replicated the Z-Wave network over to a Leviton VRCOP (connected to a Leviton Omni Pro 2) and a Samsung Smartthings hub. The UPB hard /security lighting schedule is on the Leviton OmniPro 2. Homeseer is connected to the OmniPro 2 watching over it.

Yup; for commercial use I would write yes. As Homeseer is not for commercial use rather just for home use then I would say it isn't necessary.
                    Last edited by Pete; August 30, 2017, 06:42 AM.
                    - Pete

Auto mator
                    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                    Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

I've asked about this in the past and I hope HS in later versions does have some kind of support for it.

I agree that in general, the software is stable, but I have been working with HS now for 3 years and my automation has grown. With that growth, we have also become very reliant on it and when the server is down for maintenance, it just feels weird in the house. It has become a critical part of the house and it would be nice to have a 24/7 solution.

Even in my enterprise apps that run 100 percent stable, we still keep a redundant DR solution because the application is that critical.

Stability still doesn't account for murphy's law and hardware failure.

Currently, I do have a second PC and zwave controller sitting on the shelve... just in case.

Comment

Originally posted by waynehead99 View Post
                        I've asked about this in the past and I hope HS in later versions does have some kind of support for it.

I agree that in general, the software is stable, but I have been working with HS now for 3 years and my automation has grown. With that growth, we have also become very reliant on it and when the server is down for maintenance, it just feels weird in the house. It has become a critical part of the house and it would be nice to have a 24/7 solution.

Even in my enterprise apps that run 100 percent stable, we still keep a redundant DR solution because the application is that critical.

Stability still doesn't account for murphy's law and hardware failure.

+1
                        ---
                        John

Comment

I have not been able to figure a way to automate it, but I do have a plan. I can remotely control my HomeSeer server and a backup VM with IPMI or RDP over a VPN. Automated backups keep the VM up to date weekly and the HomeSeer directory is backed up to a NAS twice daily. This way I can bring up the spare VM in the event my primary server fails. It might be as much as a week old, but it will function. If I have the time and the access, I will load one of the recent backups to the VM before bringing up HS.

I use UptimeRobot to notify me by email if my HomeSeer server goes down.
                          HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Personally thinking it is easier to do this with VM's as the physical pieces remain connected to the VM mothership.

As Wayne mentions above the criticality of an enterprise commercial setup / DR scenario testing is very important.

For home use though a light not going on schedule isn't a big deal for me.

I write this but automation is addictive.

In the early 2000's here lost a CPU fan on the Homeseer box the day before going on a two week vacation.

Same thing with an exploding capacitor on the Homeseer computer motherboard. (also in the early 2000's).

I did panic and went on a search to purchase a cpu fan and did find one at a computer store before going on vacation.

Test yourself / home automation. Shut down Homeseer for a day.
                            - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Originally posted by rprade View Post
                              I have not been able to figure a way to automate it, but I do have a plan. I can remotely control my HomeSeer server and a backup VM with IPMI or RDP over a VPN. Automated backups keep the VM up to date weekly and the HomeSeer directory is backed up to a NAS twice daily. This way I can bring up the spare VM in the event my primary server fails. It might be as much as a week old, but it will function. If I have the time and the access, I will load one of the recent backups to the VM before bringing up HS.

I use UptimeRobot to notify me by email if my HomeSeer server goes down.

This is interesting. UptimeRobot has an API that supports xml or JSON. I don't see a way to download a local installer.

in Linux you might be able to support a JSON call that could be configured to invoke a shell or bash script using a package like node.js. In the script you could send a WOL to a remote host server or start a service locally on the JSON server. I may have to give UptimeRobot a whirl.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                              Last edited by Kerat; August 30, 2017, 02:46 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X