how insert an event

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how insert an event

i programmed a detailed event of sprinklers zones on/off thru device events and timing. now i want to insert a THEN action in the middle... there is only a PLUS sign at the very last event, so i cant determine how to move it up to insert something mid-way. any ideas?
    HS3 , Zwave, HometrollerS6, ELK M1G Ultra; mcs sprinklers; WGL800; BLRF; BLNetCallerID; BLSpeech

Originally posted by gfs View Post
    i programmed a detailed event of sprinklers zones on/off thru device events and timing. now i want to insert a THEN action in the middle... there is only a PLUS sign at the very last event, so i cant determine how to move it up to insert something mid-way. any ideas?
    I'm not clear on what you are trying to do but, it is important that you understand that there can be only one THEN in an event. Also, there is no ELSE.

Neither of those might apply but I wanted to make sure you understood that.

Post a copy of your current event and describe how you want it to change.

I have found that to change something in the middle of an event sometimes requires that I delete everything below where I want the change and then re-add whatever logic is below the change. A slight pain but doesn't happen often. No big deal.

Comment

I am a noob and you are probably working in an area that I am unfamiliar with, but in the area that I use to setup events I have multiple then statements and can click on a then statement and drag it up to the order I want it to be in. Like I said probably working in a totally different area with a different way of doing things, but just wanted to throw that out there.

Comment

Originally posted by gfs View Post

If you are editing an event in Windows, add the next then statement at the bottom, then click drag and drop it in between the other then statements above.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
        HS4 4.2.6.0 &HSTouch Designer 3.0.80
        Plugin's:
        BLBackup, BLOccupied, BLShutdown, EasyTrigger, Ecobee, Nest, AK Bond
        EnvisaLink DSC, PHLocation, Pushover, SONOS, Blue Iris, UltraRachio3,
        weatherXML, Jon00 Alexa Helper, Network Monitor, MyQ, Z-Wave

Comment

Originally posted by The Profit View Post
          If you are editing an event in Windows, add the next then statement at the bottom, then click drag and drop it in between the other then statements above.
          Dang, I never knew you could move them. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by logbuilder View Post
            I'm not clear on what you are trying to do but, it is important that you understand that there can be only one THEN in an event. Also, there is no ELSE.
            I'm not sure whether you meant that quite as it reads. You can have as many THENs in an event as you like but they all act in sequence. As you say there is no ELSE so all your THENs fire or don't fire. You can rearrange the sequence by drag and drop.

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by SteveMSJ View Post
              I'm not sure whether you meant that quite as it reads. You can have as many THENs in an event as you like but they all act in sequence. As you say there is no ELSE so all your THENs fire or don't fire. You can rearrange the sequence by drag and drop.

Steve
              Yea, I worded that wrong. In general what I was trying to point out was there was no:

If
              then
              else
              if
              then

Hopefully the point is made even if clumsy.

P.S. I could use an else every once in a while

Comment

Originally posted by logbuilder View Post
                Yea, I worded that wrong. In general what I was trying to point out was there was no:

If
                then
                else
                if
                then

Hopefully the point is made even if clumsy.

P.S. I could use an else every once in a while
                Yes, I think we have to accept that HS isn't going to introduce an ELSE logic into its event system as people have been asking this for some time. I suppose it keeps events simple at the expense of needing multiple events.

As a programmer, in code, I think of an event by what triggers it e.g. a mouse click or a list selection etc. In that code event I would then have all sorts of logic that may have many different actions depending on other factors.

With HS3 I find it best to think of an event by it's actions not by it's triggers. So an event does something or a series of somethings, i.e. turns on a light. It may have multiple triggers with associated conditions but only one set of actions, it basically turns on the light or does nothing. A separate event would turn off the light based on it's own set of triggers and conditions or even the same triggers but different conditions.

I find looking at events by what they do, rather than by what triggers them, I no longer miss ELSE. If things get complex I write a script. What I really like about HS3 is how simply events, scripts and plug-ins can be intermingled and customised. That is the true power.

Steve

Comment

Wow. Drop and drag would be huge. Will try. Thanks
                  HS3 , Zwave, HometrollerS6, ELK M1G Ultra; mcs sprinklers; WGL800; BLRF; BLNetCallerID; BLSpeech

Comment

Well you learn something new every day. Never occurred to me to try to drag and drop THEN statements.

Comment

And just to clarify from a previous post - it doesn't matter if your HS system is running on Windows or Linux - since you're interfacing via a web browser, you can drag & drop to change the order of the THEN statements. The only problem I have found with this is i haven't been able to figure out how to do the drag & drop on an iPad - I have to go back to a "real computer" to do it.

Regards,
                      BBB

Comment

Working...
                      X