Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reassign Node IDs?

Greetings everyone,

I just purchased HS3 and some of my node IDs are out of order. I would like to reassign the node IDs so that I can better identify them.

How would I go about doing that without starting over from a fresh install & include?

Thanks!

Originally posted by VaultBoy View Post
    Greetings everyone,

I just purchased HS3 and some of my node IDs are out of order. I would like to reassign the node IDs so that I can better identify them.

How would I go about doing that without starting over from a fresh install & include?

Thanks!
    These are done automatically by Z-Wave from my recollection, they will end up being re-used by Z-Wave when you reach the limit and it can find an available space. I would say you do more harm than good trying to mess and change them.

Comment

Originally posted by mrhappy View Post
      These are done automatically by Z-Wave from my recollection, they will end up being re-used by Z-Wave when you reach the limit and it can find an available space. I would say you do more harm than good trying to mess and change them.
      So if I were to mess with the values, how would I go about doing that?

If I break something, it's not a big deal since I'm just learning how to use HS3 and Z-Wave in general....besides I have minor OCD when I look at the jumps in the IDs in my config page.

Comment

So nobody has any idea on how to reassign node IDs?

Comment

Originally posted by VaultBoy View Post
          So nobody has any idea on how to reassign node IDs?
          Node IDs are assigned arbitrarily as a node or s included. You cannot change them. As a rule the controller is assigned as node 1, then each included node is assigned the next node number in sequence. If you exclude a node, that number is usually left open as nodes continue on in the original sequence. If you add 1-9, then exclude node 7, the next included node should be 10. Node 7 will remain open. It will keep adding nodes sequentially until 232, the maximum number of nodes. After 232 it will begin at the bottom using any open node numbers. There is no way to easily reassign node numbers as they are assigned at inclusion by the system, with no means of user override.

When you wrote “I would like to reassign the node IDs so that I can better identify them“, I personally wouldn’t worry about node numbers as the only time that is even the smallest factor is on the Node Information Page. The rest of the time you are only dealing with Location 1 (Room), Location 2 (Floor) and device name. A careful location and naming scheme is the best way to identify nodes.
          HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.16 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Backing up the interface and restoring is one way to re-use the unused Node IDs. Note that all Z-Wave network optimizations will be lost by doing this.
            stefxx

Comment

Originally posted by stefxx View Post
              Backing up the interface and restoring is one way to re-use the unused Node IDs. Note that all Z-Wave network optimizations will be lost by doing this.
              That won’t work as the node number is stored in the backup and restored as the same node number. If it didn’t work that way, restoring an interface would completely hose your Z-Wave Network relationship to HomeSeer Devices.

Comment

Correct, but it will free up the unused Node IDs. In your example (If you add 1-9, then exclude node 7, the next included node should be 10. Node 7 will remain open), after backup/restore, Node 7 will be reused upon next node inclusion.
                stefxx

Comment

Originally posted by stefxx View Post
                  Correct, but it will free up the unused Node IDs. In your example (If you add 1-9, then exclude node 7, the next included node should be 10. Node 7 will remain open), after backup/restore, Node 7 will be reused upon next node inclusion.
                  That is true, but it still doesn’t change the fact that you cannot reassign existing nodes as the OP requested.

Comment

Working...
                  X