Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to backup hs3..?

Hi..

Can anyone help me understand what is the best way to backup hs3 (Windows version) and what i need to backup from the hs3 folder...? so if..

1. i want to move hs3 to other computer (what about the license plugins..?).

2. hs3 stop working and i need to do a clean install.

Thanks,

Shut down HS3 and copy out the directory. I do this today in Linux and early versions of Homeseer 3 running in Windows. (same as Homeseer 2).

The licenses move with the directory.

On a clean install you can just copy over the back up to the new install (same directory names). Only thing is if it is broken then a new installation with a copy of the old installation may not work.

Do you have older backups?

What version of HS3 and what stopped working?
    - Pete

Auto mator
    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
    Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
    HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
    HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Originally posted by Pete View Post
      Shut down HS3 and copy out the directory. I do this today in Linux and early versions of Homeseer 3 running in Windows. (same as Homeseer 2).

The licenses move with the directory.

On a clean install you can just copy over the back up to the new install (same directory names). Only thing is if it is broken then a new installation with a copy of the old installation may not work.

Do you have older backups?

What version of HS3 and what stopped working?
      Nothing is broken now but i like to do a daily backup to be on the safe side.

1. is it a must to shutdown hs3 to do a backup...?

2. does backup software or BLbackup plug-ins that do a daily backup of the folder even when hs3 is running in the backup is o.k..?

3. my hs3 run as a service on my windows computer is this change things when i do a backup...?

Shay,

Comment

@Shay,

Baby steps. When you initialize or configure some methodology of backup; test it to make sure it works. Do not wait for a disaster to configure your backup stuff.
        Automation is addictive and over time you get dependences on it. Try it. Shut off your Homeseer 3 box for a day or so.

1. is it a must to shutdown hs3 to do a backup...?
        2. does backup software or BLbackup plug-ins that do a daily backup of the folder even when hs3 is running in the backup is o.k..?

Yes. You can automate a backup with Homeseer 3 running using BLBackup or write a script to backup and zip you directory.

I do both here as when I make a major change I like to have an up to the minute backup.

I do image backups here too. With Homeseer 2 I built a lite Windows server partition and would do a backup image about once a month. Lite=20-25 Gb partition.

3. my hs3 run as a service on my windows computer is this change things when i do a backup...?

Yes and no. Yes=using a Homeseer plugin. No=when I manually run a backup.

I used to use a service to run Homeseer 2 then kept adding side programs to HS2 and eventually stopped running it as a service. I was already running the server headless on the server rack any how.
        - Pete

Auto mator
        Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
        Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
        HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
        HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Originally posted by smargi View Post
          Can anyone help me understand what is the best way to backup hs3 (Windows version)
          BLBackup plug-in. (It's free.)
          and what i need to backup from the hs3 folder...?
          Backup the entire HS directory.
          Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
          HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Working...
          X