Need to run chrome browser on server?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need to run chrome browser on server?

I have an S6 Pro. It has always been configured to automatically startup HS3, start the speaker client, and open up a chrome browser interface.

I have had recent problems with the speaker client disconnecting. I saw a thread that suggests that can happen when the server is maxed out.

I notice 8 instances of chrome running on the task manager. No idea why. I can terminate them and they start right back up when I start HS3.

So I terminated them and left it like that (until the server reboots).

My question: is there any reason the server needs to have a browser interface running? It does not appear to be an issue so far.

Is there a way to stop the browser from automatically starting up with an HS3 interface ?

There's no reason to have Chrome open on your S6 if you do not use that server to browse to your HS3 web interface. The first thing to do is to uncheck the option "Launch Web Browser on Startup" found via Tools > Setup > General Tab

The reason you see X Chrome executables in task manager is chrome automatically launches an exe per tab plus an exe for each add on you have for the browser like ad blockers, extra tools, etc. You can find out what exes are running in Chrome open a new tab and click in the address field then click shift + Escape in the field and the Chrome task manager will show you what is running.
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Thank you. That makes sense.

Comment

I would add, that if it's a dedicated server, then the very last thing you would ever want to do is launch any sort of browser on it. I used to run HS3 on a desktop, which I used for other things. After several rebuilds due to malware that wasn't caught by the installed 'protection' tools and a desire to use less power, I bought a dedicated mini-PC to run HS and BlueIris on. I have never launched a browser on that PC and haven't had any issues with malware or any other type of PC infection in the last 2 years. It is far more stable than any other PC that I have had, as a result.
        cheeryfool

Comment

Working...
        X