HS2 to HS3 conversion utility

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HS2 to HS3 conversion utility

as the conversion thread is closed (interesting perspective on users who helped HS get to where it is) .. and it appears that you can no longer get a download of the utility, it is disappointing that as I have supported HS since V1, that they have totally abdicated any energy to help their long time user with a large number of running events, any way to move over to the "new" world.

Interesting perspective of "geeks".

If anyone can help me with the latest version of the conversion utility, I would appreciate ...

Stuck with a running system ... with a mountain infront with no tools or support to make the change ...

HS .. should remember what has happened to companies like GM and IBM .. once they loose site of their base .. new companies will take over .. and this can happen to anyone ...

The reason it was closed as it was designed to be used with the initial releases of HS3 over 5 years ago. HS3 has changed and the tool no longer works. It is suggested to keep both versions running and slowly migrate as the underlying event engine was rewritten and will not work with the HS2 events and devices.
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

From my perspective the conversion utility was of limited use. I think it makes far more sense to essentially start from scratch on HS3. I printed out copies of all my HS2 events as a reference guide to help me replicate the functionality in HS3, but the architecture and even available plug-ins are sufficiently different, that there is really no practical way to automate the transition.

The good news is that you can run both HS2 and HS3 in parallel. I took advantage of that and moved my system over gradually, using JSON and Rover to send commands between the two systems. I also created shared files so that data could be more easily shared between them.

Patience will be your friend in the endeavor. I took over a year, including the planning and organizing at the front end and the clean-up at the back end, but I am very glad I did it. HS3 is a big step forward. It's just got a significant learning curve and a system build hill to climb.

If you pose specific questions on the Board as you go, I'm sure you'll get some very useful guidance from the many who have preceded you on the journey.
      Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
      HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

re conversion and running HS2 and HS3 in together

I have HS2 on a XP machine and HS3 on a W10 machine.

I have tried to have the two environments up at the same time and found that one or the other gets confused and the end result is not what one wants.

Any suggestions of the "next steps".

Comment

Yeah here have been utilizing HS since V1, then V2, V2.5 and today V3.

Each version change was a new computer and a new OS.

V2.5 to V3 went to Linux such that I really could only do much of this stuff by hand.

The DB in HS2 is based in MS. You could convert the HS DB to SQLite. You will though create a mess though and it will be difficult to fix.

Another thing you could do is run the first release or beta of HS3 and try the conversion utility and see if it works then update HS3 in steps from HS3 V1 to V2 to V3.

Another suggestion is to try disabling plugins and scripts in HS2 and bring up your web stuff in one web browser on one monitior and a second instance browser connected to HS3 of two monitors connected to one computer.

What are you using for your lighting automation on HS2?

X10, UPB, Insteon or ZWave?

Then look at both and hand configure your plugins and scripts and variables and triggers long math way.

It will be time consuming...baby steps way.
          Last edited by Pete; January 13, 2018, 04:52 PM.
          - Pete

Auto mator
          Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
          Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
          HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
          HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Originally posted by djbeam View Post
            I have HS2 on a XP machine and HS3 on a W10 machine. I have tried to have the two environments up at the same time and found that one or the other gets confused and the end result is not what one wants.
            What do you mean by 'confused'? Can you give an example?

I used Rover and JSON to keep HS2 and HS3 in sync. That worked quite well. (Rover let HS3 control HS2 devices and events. JSON let HS2 control HS3 devices and events.)
            Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
            HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Working...
            X