Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

events triggering but not showing in logs, even when disabled?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

events triggering but not showing in logs, even when disabled?

Here's the gist of my problem: My z-wave thermostat seems to have a mind of its own -- it seems to, under certain circumstances, accept a z-wave command and then immediately revert to the previous command it had been sent. I have a bunch of events that normally control my heat set point based on various conditions, and even though the conditions are not being met, AND the events are disabled, they appear to be sneaking in and reverting my set points. Or, the device is reverting somehow... I have no idea

Here's my main virtual device that is used in conditions for events that control the set point:

This virtual device is set by events:

Then I have a bunch of other events set up to control the set point of the thermostat based on the "heat required" device's status:

Under normal circumstances this works just fine. The set point ranges change automagically every morning and night, and every time the apartments become empty, become occupied, etc. (The reason behind the alternating set points instead of letting the thermostat handle that itself is due to strangeness with the thermostat's own readings - the temp reading it sends for current temp is usually affected by whether or not it's currently calling for heat or not, leading to strange run times etc. This system has been working for me for probably about 4 years.)

BUT, when I set the "heat required" to "manual" and change the set point to some arbitrary set point, it immediately reverts back to its previous set point. OR, if I manually set the "heat required" to something it wouldn't normally be (i.e. events had set it to vacation since the building has been empty for a couple days, but I set it manually to "day (home)" and disabled the rule that would set it back to "vacation"), then one event triggers to set the set point to the day (home) set point (73 degrees) and then immediately it reverts back to the previous set point of 59, from the "Temp VACATION - up" event.

Looking in the logs, I see this (in reverse chronological order):

Code:
    Jan-03 5:00:17 PM	 	email	Email successfully sent to ****@api.prowlapp.com
    Jan-03 5:00:17 PM	 	Event	Event Trigger "Heating Controls Setpoint Change Alert"
    Jan-03 5:00:17 PM	 	Z-Wave	Device: 148 #1 Living Room 148 #1 LR Heating Setpoint Set to Setpoint 59 (F)
    Jan-03 5:00:17 PM	 	Z-Wave	ApplicationCommandHandler from node 2 HANDLING: COMMAND_CLASS_THERMOSTAT_SETPOINT_V3 Frame(7)=3
    Jan-03 5:00:09 PM	 	email	Email successfully sent to ****@api.prowlapp.com
    Jan-03 5:00:08 PM	 	Event	Event Trigger "Heating Controls Setpoint Change Alert"
    Jan-03 5:00:08 PM	 	Z-Wave	Device: 148 #1 Living Room 148 #1 LR Heating Setpoint Set to 73
    Jan-03 5:00:08 PM	 	Z-Wave	ZNET West: Sending to node 2 (UnSecured) CC=COMMAND_CLASS_THERMOSTAT_SETPOINT_V3
    Jan-03 5:00:08 PM	 	Device Control	Device: 148 #1 Living Room 148 #1 LR Heating Setpoint to 73 F (73)
    Jan-03 5:00:08 PM	 	Event	Event Trigger "Heating Controls Temp DAY - up"
    Jan-03 5:00:08 PM	 	Z-Wave	Device: 148 #1 Living Room 1LR T-Stat Temperature Set to 58 (F)
    Jan-03 5:00:08 PM	 	Z-Wave	ApplicationCommandHandler from node 2 HANDLING: COMMAND_CLASS_SENSOR_MULTILEVEL_V2 Frame(7)=5
    So the temperature reading changes which triggers the "Day - up" event, and it sends a z-wave command to set it to 73, and I get my prowl alert saying it was set to 73... and then almost immediately it reverts by itself?? back to 59, and I get the alert about that...

Any ideas what's going on??
    Attached Files

In all of your events, can you try setting the "Cannot retrigger for..." option and see if that helps. I would set each one so that they cannot retrigger for 2 secs or so.
    HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
    54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
    Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

Update: I am beginning to suspect that the thermostat itself might be doing something strange and reverting to its previous set point.

Earlier today, the "heat required" virtual device was set to "vacation", which would alternate set points between 55 and 59 degrees. Then, while the set point was set to 59, I set the "heat required" to "day (home)" which should alternate set points between 66 and 73 degrees.

HS3 kept notifying me of, and I could observe by watching the logs, UI, etc., the fact that even though it was properly setting the set point to 73, it was almost immediately reverting back to 59. The next time the temperature reading at the thermostat would change, the "day - up" event would trigger again, setting the set point to 73, and then a few seconds later it would seemingly automatically revert back to 59. There was no mention of the "vacation" event being triggered, or firing, or of HS3 sending a command, and the "last run" time shown in the UI for the "vacation" temp-setting event doesn't change, but it still keeps reverting back to 59 degrees.

What I just tried was manually running the "day - down" event followed immediately by running the "day - up" event. As expected, I got an email alert showing the set point was set to 66, then another that it was 73. A while later it was back to 66 again. Then the temperature reading changed again, triggering the "day - up" event -- setting the set point to 73, followed a few seconds later with the set point going back to 66 again.

Just now I set the set point to 70, then 71, and then polled the device which caused the temp reading to trigger the "day - up" event, which set it to 73. Shortly afterwards, the set point was back to 71.

Thoughts? (I have power cycled the thermostat.)

Comment

Ok, I take it back. I just got another "set point set to 66" followed immediately by "set point set to 73" -- these are the two temperatures that my events for daytime heat required setting would alternate between...

Comment

Originally posted by rmasonjr View Post
          In all of your events, can you try setting the "Cannot retrigger for..." option and see if that helps. I would set each one so that they cannot retrigger for 2 secs or so.
          Just added a 5 second "cannot re-run for" setting... will see if there's any change.

Comment

Comment

Working...
            X