Backup Config file ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Backup Config file ...

From what I can see, the backup config process, looks at the directory where backups go (it would be much better if that directory couold be customized, not fixed) .. checks for other backup .. removes them and then creates the new backup in that directory.

Having IT background, it is very often beneficial to have some generational copies of backup.

Is there a way not to remove the backups that are previously created and only add to the directory ...

I understand that this means file clutter, but then that is the responsibility of the system owner to address.

Thoughts and suggestions how to get generational copies of backup would be appreciated.

As a work around you could manually rename the older back up with the date prior to making the backup.
    💁‍♂️ Support & Customer Service 🙋‍♂️ Sales Questions 🛒 Shop HomeSeer Products

Comment

Thanks Rupp, correct.

However I was looking for a much more automated way to get around this issue.

Currently I have created a command that does a rename of any raw backup files in the directory ... however that is bandage .. and an extra step that needs to be maintained...

I want to reduce the # of points-of-failure .. thus why I would like to see it part of the HS core product ..

Keeping generational backups is a standard in IT .. and looking to HS to implement .. otherwise all of us must develop workarounds.

Again thanks .. for your suggestion.

Comment

I use BLBackup to make a copy of my full HS directory every night. In the process I get a snapshot of the config file backups each night as well. You could have BLBackup copy only the HS Data file, of course, either instead of or in addition to a full HS backup if there is a reason to have it copied separately.
        Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
        HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Thanks for the idea .. I will investigate ..

Don

Comment

Uncle Michael, I've had BLBackup for a while now, but haven't really figured out what I need to backup, or how to configure. I have this thread i'd appreciate your input on. Had to find the thread, and realized I wasn't subscribed to it, and I do have input from others.
            https://forums.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=192727

Comment

I also use BLBackup as well as Macirum nightly. BLBackup runs twice a day at 1:00am and 1:00pm and I set it to retain 60 backups. Macirum keeps full and incremental backups of the entire machine nightly. It is configurable as to how frequently it creates full and incremental backups, how many are kept, etc.

Both Macirum and BLBackup store their files on a NAS. If I have a homeseer problem, I go to BLBackup copies. If I have a system failure it will be Macirum.

I also pull a manual HS3 directory backup before I install any updates.
              HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.16 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Originally posted by tome10 View Post
                I've had BLBackup for a while now, but haven't really figured out what I need to backup, or how to configure.
                The thread you referenced has good suggestions for what to back up. I agree, that it isn't entirely obvious how to configure BLBackup, but the good news is that if you check your backup after it runs the first time you'll find out immediately if it worked as you intended.

The basics: On the Options tab, enter the location where you want the backup files to be stored. I store mine on a second hard drive on my HS machine. On the Directories tab, enter the folders you want to back up and how frequently. Be sure to click on the Save button to save your entries on each tab. Finally, create time triggered events to initiate the backup operations when you want them to occur. Mine are set for 4:15 in the morning to avoid time change glitches and to be at a time when very little else is going on.

I've attached a screen shot of my Directories tab. It's actually pretty simple.
                Attached Files
                Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
                HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Working...
                X