Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Log Stops showing events

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Good news, I hope. It's now been 4 days since I changed how I've been backing up the HS3 tree in Program Files and no more problems with logging stopping at 11PM most nights. Clearly, this is one use case that can cause the 'stopped logging' error, but if the problem happens at exactly the same time every time, I would look at whether the third party backup program is causing a DB lockup at the scheduled backup time. I want to emphasize that BLBackup does not cause this issue.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by chuckk9032 View Post
      Good news, I hope. It's now been 4 days since I changed how I've been backing up the HS3 tree in Program Files and no more problems with logging stopping at 11PM most nights. Clearly, this is one use case that can cause the 'stopped logging' error, but if the problem happens at exactly the same time every time, I would look at whether the third party backup program is causing a DB lockup at the scheduled backup time. I want to emphasize that BLBackup does not cause this issue.
      I was just going to report since upgrading to .518 I had not had a log lockup, until this morning at 6:20am. Having read this I recall I've had other lockups at around this time too, though I also had lockups at other times in the day. However my SecondCopy HS3 backup routine runs at 6:00am, and finishes around 6:30. So perhaps you've stumbled onto something! I'm going to disable SecondCopy for a few days and see if that helps. I have had SecondCopy backing up HS3 for YEARS so I if this is the cause then the solution should be on HS3 side, to revert something with the database management. Good find Chuck!
      Mike

      Comment


      • All useful information, and hopefully will lead HS into finding the problem and deploying a solution. Adding to the pool of info, it may not be backup related. I back up my Homeseer sysen with a Windows scheduled batch file that simply Zips up the contents of the Homeseer HS3 folder (with date info as part of the name so I maintain 2 weeks archive history) to a folder on my NAS where I park all backups. The HS backup process begins at 4AM, but a few posts back, I reported that my log stopped shortly after midnight, using the 518 build. This would imply it may not be backup related.

        Comment


        • JhirschHorn, i agree. I’m guessing that it doesn’t need to exclusively be a backup process that causes the issue, but that’s probably one mechanism and therefore a clue. I back up the HS3 folders in three systems using BLBackup to produce daily compressed files with no issues on two systems. My one system that kept locking the log was the only one using a specific third party backup program as well. To make it interesting, there’s another program backing up the folders on all three systems to the cloud on a different schedule with no issues. I’m still not totally convinced, so monitoring continues!

          Comment


          • Good information, looks like it might be a conflict with other apps access the file. However, I would think HS would start logging again after the backups were done, not sure why its getting stuck.
            website | buy now | support | youtube

            Comment


            • I believe I have found the issue and it should be fixed in build 520. The thread that handles the log writes was existing do to not being able to write to the DB (only under certain conditions). A fix has been added to keep the thread from exiting. I also made a change that caches log entries if the DB is not available (rather than losing them). So when the DB comes back they are written. This way log entries are not lost.

              Here is the Windows build:

              http://homeseer.com/updates3/SetupHS3_3_0_0_520.msi

              Let me know how it goes!
              website | buy now | support | youtube

              Comment


              • Installed, thanks! I'm re-enabling my backup s/w too.
                Mike

                Comment


                • rjh could you make one for linux ? I would need the hs3_linux_3_0_0_420.tar.gz

                  thanks

                  Comment


                  • Anything change to cause this error?:
                    Mar-11 1:50:59 PM Warning JSON controldevicebyvalue caused an error: Could not load file or assembly 'Newtonsoft.Json, Version=8.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=30ad4fe6b2a6aeed' or one of its dependencies. The located assembly's manifest definition does not match the assembly reference. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80131040)
                    I'm getting flooded with these. I know there were a lot of previous discussions about this file location and what plugin authors are supposed to do. But all I did was update to build .520. I've spent the last three hours trying to find the cause, comparing all my newtonsoft.json.dll files within the HS3 folder to those from a working backup, they are all the same, exactly.
                    Filename Date modified Type Size Location
                    Newtonsoft.Json.dll 6/13/2016 23:06 Application extension 514 KB Bin (\\Hal\hs3)
                    Newtonsoft.Json.dll 11/7/2015 11:02 Application extension 499 KB DeviceHistory (\\Hal\hs3\Bin\skWare)
                    Newtonsoft.Json.xml 3/14/2016 21:30 XML Document 504 KB homeseer (\\Hal\hs3\Bin)
                    Newtonsoft.Json.dll 6/13/2016 23:06 Application extension 514 KB homeseer (\\Hal\hs3\Bin)
                    Newtonsoft.Json.dll 3/24/2018 17:44 Application extension 528 KB HSPI.BI (\\Hal\hs3\Bin)
                    Newtonsoft.Json.dll 11/24/2015 9:08 Application extension 499 KB ImperiHome (\\Hal\hs3\Bin)
                    Newtonsoft.Json.dll 10/2/2013 12:10 Application extension 399 KB JsonConfigForHomeKit (\\Hal\hs3\Bin)
                    Newtonsoft.Json.dll 11/27/2018 18:07 Application extension 660 KB MeiHarmonyHub (\\Hal\hs3\Bin)
                    Newtonsoft.Json.dll 3/24/2018 18:44 Application extension 647 KB Neato (\\Hal\hs3\Bin)
                    Newtonsoft.Json.dll 6/18/2017 14:56 Application extension 514 KB PHLocation2 (\\Hal\hs3\Bin)
                    Newtonsoft.Json.dll 6/13/2016 23:06 Application extension 514 KB scripting (\\Hal\hs3\Bin)
                    Newtonsoft.Json.dll 6/13/2016 23:06 Application extension 514 KB scripts (\\Hal\hs3)
                    Newtonsoft.Json.dll 6/13/2016 23:06 Application extension 514 KB Temp (\\Hal\hs3)
                    Newtonsoft.Json.dll 2/9/2014 23:38 Application extension 471 KB weatherXML (\\Hal\hs3\Bin)
                    Newtonsoft.Json.dll 3/14/2016 20:30 Application extension 475 KB Z-Wave (\\Hal\hs3\Bin)
                    Would one of these need to be registered perhaps?
                    Mike

                    Comment


                    • Make sure there is no newtonsoft DLL in the HS3 folder, all instances of this need to be in specifc plugin folders and HS uses the one in the bin/homeseer folder.

                      Originally posted by mwaite View Post
                      Anything change to cause this error?:
                      Mar-11 1:50:59 PM Warning JSON controldevicebyvalue caused an error: Could not load file or assembly 'Newtonsoft.Json, Version=8.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=30ad4fe6b2a6aeed' or one of its dependencies. The located assembly's manifest definition does not match the assembly reference. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80131040)
                      I'm getting flooded with these. I know there were a lot of previous discussions about this file location and what plugin authors are supposed to do. But all I did was update to build .520. I've spent the last three hours trying to find the cause, comparing all my newtonsoft.json.dll files within the HS3 folder to those from a working backup, they are all the same, exactly.
                      Filename Date modified Type Size Location
                      Newtonsoft.Json.dll 6/13/2016 23:06 Application extension 514 KB Bin (\\Hal\hs3)
                      Newtonsoft.Json.dll 11/7/2015 11:02 Application extension 499 KB DeviceHistory (\\Hal\hs3\Bin\skWare)
                      Newtonsoft.Json.xml 3/14/2016 21:30 XML Document 504 KB homeseer (\\Hal\hs3\Bin)
                      Newtonsoft.Json.dll 6/13/2016 23:06 Application extension 514 KB homeseer (\\Hal\hs3\Bin)
                      Newtonsoft.Json.dll 3/24/2018 17:44 Application extension 528 KB HSPI.BI (\\Hal\hs3\Bin)
                      Newtonsoft.Json.dll 11/24/2015 9:08 Application extension 499 KB ImperiHome (\\Hal\hs3\Bin)
                      Newtonsoft.Json.dll 10/2/2013 12:10 Application extension 399 KB JsonConfigForHomeKit (\\Hal\hs3\Bin)
                      Newtonsoft.Json.dll 11/27/2018 18:07 Application extension 660 KB MeiHarmonyHub (\\Hal\hs3\Bin)
                      Newtonsoft.Json.dll 3/24/2018 18:44 Application extension 647 KB Neato (\\Hal\hs3\Bin)
                      Newtonsoft.Json.dll 6/18/2017 14:56 Application extension 514 KB PHLocation2 (\\Hal\hs3\Bin)
                      Newtonsoft.Json.dll 6/13/2016 23:06 Application extension 514 KB scripting (\\Hal\hs3\Bin)
                      Newtonsoft.Json.dll 6/13/2016 23:06 Application extension 514 KB scripts (\\Hal\hs3)
                      Newtonsoft.Json.dll 6/13/2016 23:06 Application extension 514 KB Temp (\\Hal\hs3)
                      Newtonsoft.Json.dll 2/9/2014 23:38 Application extension 471 KB weatherXML (\\Hal\hs3\Bin)
                      Newtonsoft.Json.dll 3/14/2016 20:30 Application extension 475 KB Z-Wave (\\Hal\hs3\Bin)
                      Would one of these need to be registered perhaps?
                      website | buy now | support | youtube

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by rjh View Post
                        Make sure there is no newtonsoft DLL in the HS3 folder, all instances of this need to be in specifc plugin folders and HS uses the one in the bin/homeseer folder.


                        rjh, I included the list of these files above, there was no Newtonsoft.Json.dll in the HS3 folder. The one in the bin/homeseer folder has not changed, 514KB (v9.0.1). I spent hours trying to find what changed from before I upgraded (comparing two different HS3 folder backups) - all are exactly the same. So I do not know how to troubleshoot this further. I spent a great deal of time on this so I could find my own solution instead of asking for help, but now I'm asking. Seems I cannot control device by JSON.

                        I also tried reinstalling the same .520 build, using the REPAIR option. That invalidated all my HS3 licenses, had to go find all of those and enter them again.
                        Mike

                        Comment


                        • Looks like you have a newtonsoft dll in the /bin folder, remove that one. This may break a plugin, but if you find out which one, contact me or that author. The newton DLL needs to live only in the bin sub folder for each plugin. The /bin folder is only for HS unique files.

                          Originally posted by mwaite View Post

                          rjh, I included the list of these files above, there was no Newtonsoft.Json.dll in the HS3 folder. The one in the bin/homeseer folder has not changed, 514KB (v9.0.1). I spent hours trying to find what changed from before I upgraded (comparing two different HS3 folder backups) - all are exactly the same. So I do not know how to troubleshoot this further. I spent a great deal of time on this so I could find my own solution instead of asking for help, but now I'm asking. Seems I cannot control device by JSON.

                          I also tried reinstalling the same .520 build, using the REPAIR option. That invalidated all my HS3 licenses, had to go find all of those and enter them again.
                          website | buy now | support | youtube

                          Comment


                          • Rich,
                            I wanted to report that I was having lots of issues with logging as well as events not running and plugins stopped functioning with 3.0.0.500. I upgraded to 3.0.0.520 and all issues have resolved over the past 21 hours or so. Not sure why some people are more affected than others, but thanks for the quick fix.

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by rjh View Post
                              Looks like you have a newtonsoft dll in the /bin folder, remove that one. This may break a plugin, but if you find out which one, contact me or that author. The newton DLL needs to live only in the bin sub folder for each plugin. The /bin folder is only for HS unique files.


                              Once I thinned out the extra dlls it started working. I recall a troubleshooting session in the past where I was trying lots of versions in different locations to get all my plugins, HS, and scripts to all work. I had created extra copies so I didn't accidentally delete them, I guess the mess that made revealed itself with the HS upgrade.
                              Mike

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by rjh View Post
                                I believe I have found the issue and it should be fixed in build 520. The thread that handles the log writes was existing do to not being able to write to the DB (only under certain conditions). A fix has been added to keep the thread from exiting. I also made a change that caches log entries if the DB is not available (rather than losing them). So when the DB comes back they are written. This way log entries are not lost.

                                Here is the Windows build:

                                http://homeseer.com/updates3/SetupHS3_3_0_0_520.msi

                                Let me know how it goes!
                                Rich,

                                Thanks for the fix. Glad this one is now resolved!

                                Chuck

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X