Moving HS3 Pro (Entire HA System) to new machine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Moving HS3 Pro (Entire HA System) to new machine

So I've build up a new 'super' computer (i7 8700K 32RAM, etc, etc.. blah blah blah) to migrate 3 machines (4 functions) into one.

1) File Server/Computer Backup (Drivepool) -- Done
    2) Recording Hardware/software (12 Tuner, SageTV and Plex) -- Done
    3) Home Automation (this is where YOU come in) NOT Done
    4) BlueIris -- NOT Done

How do I cleanly move my entire HA system (Including Lic's) for HS3 and the listed plug-ins below.

I got a bad feeling about this move....

PS: What is the latest and greatest way to run HS3 and the plug-ins below as a service..

Current Date/Time: 2/6/2018 5:02:38 PM
    HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.402
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro - Work Station
    System Uptime: 4 Days 0 Hours 35 Minutes 13 Seconds
    IP Address: 192.168.1.75
    Number of Devices: 567
    Number of Events: 159
    Available Threads: 400
    HSTouch Enabled: True
    Event Threads: 3
    Event Trigger Eval Queue: 0
    Event Trigger Priority Eval Queue: 0
    Device Exec Queue: 0
    HSTouch Event Queue: 0
    Email Send Queue: 0
    Anti Virus Installed: Windows Defender

Enabled Plug-Ins
    3.2.0.5: APCUPSD
    2.0.50.0: BLBackup
    2.0.76.0: BLLock
    2.0.35.0: BLSecurity
    3.1.1.24385: Blue-Iris
    1.2.2.0: Device History
    3.0.0.43: EasyTrigger
    3.7.0.0: Harmony Hub
    3.7.0.0: Harmony Hub
    1.1.12.0: Honeywell WiFi Thermostat
    3.0.0.25: ImperiHome
    1.5.0.0: MQTT
    1.0.5687.23871: MySensors
    3.0.1.109: PHLocation
    0.0.0.37: Pushover 3P
    1.0.0.7: Restart
    30.0.0.36: RFXCOM
    3.0.5.7: SDJ-Health
    3.0.6554.33094: UltraMon3
    3.0.0.80: weatherXML
    3.0.1.188: Z-Wave
    RJ_Make On YouTube

Install Homeseer 3 on your new computer in the exact same directory that you are currently running Homeseer 3 on.

Shut down Homeseer 3. Copy your Homeseer 3 directory from old computer to new computer.

Note for this to work it has to be the same directory in the same place and OS 32 bit or 64 bit. (32 bit to 32 bit or 64 bit to 64 bit)

Many folks utilize a Windows service program here that I used to use in the early 2000's.

It is called FireDaemon.

Note that Blue Iris with a few cameras and Sage/12 tuners will be hitting the CPU and memory utilization a bit. (should be OK with 32 Mb of RAM).
    - Pete

Auto mator
    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
    Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
    HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
    HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

I did something similar. I was running HS, Blue Iris and MS Exchange as well as a couple of other things on one PC.
      I'm now splitting them out again.
      It seems that whenever there are issues, and it is rare that a much-used 'puter never has issues, I struggled to pinpoint the culprit. As Exchange is 'mission critical', a stand-alone machine makes more sense.
      As for Blue Iris it has always been CPU overload not RAM that has been the issue for me. With prudent balancing of the settings, I have now mitigated that problem but still don't want to risk mixing Blue Iris and Exchange.
      Next part of the project is to find a low power rack server and put HS on that.
      Last edited by IanIreland; May 9, 2018, 10:37 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Pete View Post
        Install Homeseer 3 on your new computer in the exact same directory that you are currently running Homeseer 3 on.

Shut down Homeseer 3. Copy your Homeseer 3 directory from old computer to new computer.

Note for this to work it has to be the same directory in the same place and OS 32 bit or 64 bit. (32 bit to 32 bit or 64 bit to 64 bit)

Many folks utilize a Windows service program here that I used to use in the early 2000's.

It is called FireDaemon.

Note that Blue Iris with a few cameras and Sage/12 tuners will be hitting the CPU and memory utilization a bit. (should be OK with 32 Mb of RAM).
        Wow, Pete that was WAY easier then I had anticipated. Thank You!.

I hear you guys on having all these 'systems' on one box. I'm just so tired of maintaining 3 machines.

My current blue Iris installation (5 CAMS) is running ~5-10% CPU utilization, but moves ~35MB/s across the existing 100Mbs POE switch.

I'm more concerned with running all that data across the new machines 1Gbs interface all the time then I am about it's CPU utilization. (with the exception of the current BI machine and POE switch, the infrastructure is all build on 1Gbs)
        RJ_Make On YouTube

Comment

I'm currently doing what you're planning. I have Blu Iris, HS3, Drivepool, etc. on one machine. I have moved HS3 from machine to machine many times. No big whoop. Like Pete said you just shut down HS and copy the HS3 folder, install HS on your new machine, copy the old directory over the new one and you're up and running. You will of course have to do things like configure firewall rules, set ports in HS and so forth. Your licenses will be intact on the new machine.

And you'll be fine with your 1GbE network. No way you're going to be exceeding 100 MB/s with that setup unless you're streaming 4k to a dozen or so systems at the same time.
          Originally posted by rprade
          There is no rhyme or reason to the anarchy a defective Z-Wave device can cause

Comment

Way back here would create a spreadsheet listing plugins and serial ports.

Old configuration was one USB cable to a Digi 7 Port power USB Hub to USB devices. Two of the USB devices were Digi Edgeport 8's. The order of the Digi Serial ports was always similiar between computers.
            - Pete

Auto mator
            Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
            Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Originally posted by IanIreland View Post
              I did something similar. I was running HS, Blue Iris and MS Exchange as well as a couple of other things on one PC.
              I'm now splittinmg them out again.
              I did the same thing. Was running HS3, Blue Iris, Plex, Squeezebox, cloud backup, JRiver on a Dual 8 Core Xeon server with 64 Gb ram and 120TB disk aka "the beast" . As I added more cameras (24 HD cams 15 FPS), I started pegging CPU. My HS environment is exceedingly complex (3900+ Devices, 450+ Events, 75+ Plugins). It needs some juice.

I split BlueIris and Cloud backup off to a new box "Bride of Beast" (Dual 16 core Xeons, 256G Ram, 140TB Disk. 32HD cameras @ 30 FPS.

Now both systems run around 20-25% CPU...and I don't have to "guess" if an issue is due to resource starvation.
              Both systems use a combination of SSD (Boot Drive) PCIE SSD for ultra high speed (indexing, backup target, temp storage, transcode, video stream capture etc) and a bunch of WD Reds for onboard storage.

Maybe I'm old school and just throw hardware at problems....but it works for me.

Only having to maintain 1 box was a little easier but I prefer being able to restart / maintain them separately...I can take one down and then the other. I test things (OS updates, Bios updates etc) on "Bride" before moving them to "Beast" since he's the brains of the outfit.

Both run a full backup each week with incremental each night. the HS system also does a full HS backup each day. Backups are kept for 6 months and cross replicate to each other, a NAS and the cloud. I also CLONE each system's boot SSD to another SSD once a week...and rotate through 4 spares each.

I refuse to lose.
              My home is smarter than your honor roll student.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr_Resistor View Post
                I did the same thing. Was running HS3, Blue Iris, Plex, Squeezebox, cloud backup, JRiver on a Dual 8 Core Xeon server with 64 Gb ram and 120TB disk aka "the beast" . As I added more cameras (24 HD cams 15 FPS), I started pegging CPU. My HS environment is exceedingly complex (3900+ Devices, 450+ Events, 75+ Plugins). It needs some juice.

I split BlueIris and Cloud backup off to a new box "Bride of Beast" (Dual 16 core Xeons, 256G Ram, 140TB Disk. 32HD cameras @ 30 FPS.

Now both systems run around 20-25% CPU...and I don't have to "guess" if an issue is due to resource starvation.
                Both systems use a combination of SSD (Boot Drive) PCIE SSD for ultra high speed (indexing, backup target, temp storage, transcode, video stream capture etc) and a bunch of WD Reds for onboard storage.

Maybe I'm old school and just throw hardware at problems....but it works for me.

Only having to maintain 1 box was a little easier but I prefer being able to restart / maintain them separately...I can take one down and then the other. I test things (OS updates, Bios updates etc) on "Bride" before moving them to "Beast" since he's the brains of the outfit.

Both run a full backup each week with incremental each night. the HS system also does a full HS backup each day. Backups are kept for 6 months and cross replicate to each other, a NAS and the cloud. I also CLONE each system's boot SSD to another SSD once a week...and rotate through 4 spares each.

I refuse to lose.
                Holy cow that's a lot of hardware. I think your system costs more then my car..

I was able to complete the consolidation yesterday and I'm happy with the results so far. (still have to do little odds and ends). My old system (BI and HS3) drew about ~47-49w at 'idle', the new system ~110w. I can live with that, no problem.

I need to do more 'pressure' tests on the new system, but a brief test at 80% CPU, yielded about ~195w at the wall. The combination of the 2 older machine (server and recording box) was ~275w. The difference is both machines slept when not in use.

The system idles at ~8% CPU utilization. To my utter surprise Blue-Iris runs better using the latest Intel (GPU) QSV then the old system (~.8% CPU utilization - that is just crazy for BI). That right there confirms my decision to go with an Intel solution over AMD (Ryzen 1800K).

The only concern I have ATM is my LAN. With BI moving ~35Mbs across the machine's 1Gbs interface, I had no problem completely saturating the nic moving files from a NAS to the machine.

I'm not really sure what to do about it at this point.
                RJ_Make On YouTube

Comment

Originally posted by S-F View Post
                  I'm currently doing what you're planning. I have Blu Iris, HS3, Drivepool, etc. on one machine. I have moved HS3 from machine to machine many times. No big whoop. Like Pete said you just shut down HS and copy the HS3 folder, install HS on your new machine, copy the old directory over the new one and you're up and running. You will of course have to do things like configure firewall rules, set ports in HS and so forth. Your licenses will be intact on the new machine.

And you'll be fine with your 1GbE network. No way you're going to be exceeding 100 MB/s with that setup unless you're streaming 4k to a dozen or so systems at the same time.
                  Thanks, So far it's working VERY well. (See post to @Mr_Resistor). That said, I had no problem completely saturating the machines 1Gbs interface. So far it's the only "gotcha" Iv'e run into.
                  RJ_Make On YouTube

Comment

Originally posted by ServiceXp View Post
                    Thanks, So far it's working VERY well. (See post to @Mr_Resistor). That said, I had no problem completely saturating the machines 1Gbs interface. So far it's the only "gotcha" Iv'e run into.
                    Link aggregation?

Comment

Originally posted by S-F View Post
                      Link aggregation?
                      Perhaps, but I'm not sure how well that works in Windows 10. I'll also need a new capable 24port Gig switch and Teaming NICs. $$$$$

I'm going to let it play out 'as is' and see how the box handles it after everything has settled down.
                      RJ_Make On YouTube

Comment

You could also make the box a VM box, add NICs to it and use one Gb NIC per VM instance.

and utilize a newly posted Lite W7 32 bit or 64 bit which would be all you would need to run your applications (you would though need to license each instance of the W7 VM).

You would have better control relating to CPU / Memory utilization per VM instance than using W10 for everything.

There are a few HS3 users doing that today.
                        - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

Originally posted by ServiceXp View Post
                          Perhaps, but I'm not sure how well that works in Windows 10. I'll also need a new capable 24port Gig switch and Teaming NICs. $$$$$

I'm going to let it play out 'as is' and see how the box handles it after everything has settled down.
                          Dual port Intel NICs are cheap on ebay. You can get a good used Dell switch for not too much on ebay as well. For just over $100 you can get a new managed switch that's fanless. I used a Dell 2724 for about 6 years that I got on ebay for peanuts and it supported LAG, VLANs, etc.

Comment

You could also make the box a VM box, add NICs to it and use one Gb NIC per VM instance.

and utilize a newly posted Lite W7 32 bit or 64 bit which would be all you would need to run your applications (you would though need to license each instance of the W7 VM).

You would have better control relating to CPU / Memory utilization per VM instance than using W10 for everything.

There are a few HS3 users doing that today.
                            I did the virtualization thing several years back. I run a windows instance and a Linux instance on an ESXi box running on a Haswell i7. Essentially, only Homeseer runs on the Windows 8.1 VM; and I have Ubuntu on the other. It essentially runs Samba. It also has a few scripts I run which talk to Homeseer over JSON.

A guy I work with is looking to unload his NAS box with 28 3 terabyte drives-- so I may add that to the arsenal soon. He is getting rid of it on the cheap. Might put Plex on there and Blue IRIS. Runs Linux on the metal.
                            HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435 (Windows Server 8.1 on ESXi box)

Plug-Ins Enabled:
                            Z-Wave:,RaspberryIO:,AirplaySpeak:,Ecobee:,
                            weatherXML:,JowiHue:,APCUPSD:,PHLocation:,Chromecast:,EasyTr igger:

Comment

It is called FireDaemon.

Pete

Sorry for digging up an old thread but is this still a valid procedure? Also, Does Home to Pro matter or is 64bit to 64bit the only thing that matters?

Thanks,
                              ​​​​​​​Ken
                              "if I have seen further [than others], it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." --Sir Isaac Newton (1675)

Comment

Working...
                              X