HS3 on Rasberry Pi3 - Heave Load

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HS3 on Rasberry Pi3 - Heave Load

I caught my HS3 box today behaving very sluggishly. So I logged in to see what might be causing it and saw this. I'm not familiar with what a "(System)_22-Mar" process might be. Any ideas?

I ended up rebooting the Pi3 and all was well.

Thinking here that a system process is like an overall view of utilization between the Linux kernel and hardware and sub processes.

Personally I would have let it run to see if the utilization went down after a period of time.

Could be a number of things that caused this.

You can get a nicer more granular look, sorted and filtered look using htop.

Install htop by:

sudo apt-get install htop

Sort / filter by "hs" and you will see main Homeseer mono processes running.

The HTOP view relating to Homeseer would look like this on a Zee2 (Homeseer Lite).

[ATTACH]67723[/ATTACH]
    - Pete

Auto mator
    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
    Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
    HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
    HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Is it normal to have so many HS3 related processes?

Comment

Could you give us a little more detail on what is running here. What version of Raspbian, Mono, what plugins, what version of HS3 etc. it will help to narrow down the problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Pete View Post
          Thinking here that a system process is like an overall view of utilization between the Linux kernel and hardware and sub processes.

Personally I would have let it run to see if the utilization went down after a period of time.

Could be a number of things that caused this.

You can get a nicer more granular look, sorted and filtered look using htop.

Install htop by:

sudo apt-get install htop

Sort / filter by "hs" and you will see main Homeseer mono processes running.

The HTOP view relating to Homeseer would look like this on a Zee2 (Homeseer Lite).

[ATTACH]67723[/ATTACH]
          Installed this on my SEL and it makes things much easier to see. Thanks!

I found out that BLLAN is slamming my system for almost 70% CPU usage. Not sure why that would be, but as soon as I disable it, I drop from near 100% on both cores to around 30% on each. Virtually all of that seems to be HSConsole on my system, which I keep up in a couple of windows on my PC all the time monitoring logs and devices.

Comment

Is it normal to have so many HS3 related processes?

yes

BLLAN is slamming my system for almost 70% CPU usage.

Here only configured 4 wireless tabletop touchscreens with BLLAN. For a bit a few weeks ago did see one of the touchtablets dropping off the network with a loss of ping regularly.

There are no event triggers today that I have configured with BLLAN. Just watching it. Only comments to Bob have been relating to nomenclature of running BLLAN in Linux versus Windows.

I reconfigured the wireless and it seemed to fix it. That said now have another wireless tabletop as a squeezeplayer and that one is starting to disconnect as I hear it when streaming audio on it.

That said I have not seen BLLAN using up much CPU.

For a better view with HTop hit F2 and configure the screen as you see it attached.

Make sure you run HTOP with sudo or root.

Then hit F10 to save the configuration. Next time you run it; HTOP will use the configuration saved.

[ATTACH]67758[/ATTACH]
            - Pete

Auto mator
            Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
            Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
            HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
            HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by concordseer View Post
                Could you give us a little more detail on what is running here. What version of Raspbian, Mono, what plugins, what version of HS3 etc. it will help to narrow down the problem.
                The system is behaving at the moment but has only been up 1 day (after doing an apt get upgrade and rebooting due to a new kernel to see if that helps). It became unresponsive while i was on vacation 3 days ago and I couldn't remotely control anything. Came home and power cycled it. Will have to see if/when it does it again and try to log in and poke around.

Wish it had sysstools installed so that i could run some sar commands to see what was going on with cpu/mem over time. But for some reason apt-get doesn't know what sysstat is on these things. I'm sure that the problem is me though and i just haven't figured out how to get it for Pi.

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ uname -a
                Linux raspberrypi 4.14.30-v7+ #1102 SMP Mon Mar 26 16:45:49 BST 2018 armv7l GNU/Linux

Current Date/Time: 29/03/2018 15:29:01
                HomeSeer Version: HS3 Standard Edition 3.0.0.368
                Linux version: ApplicationName='./run_command_raw.sh', CommandLine=''uname -a'', CurrentDirectory='', Native error= Cannot find the specified fileSystem Uptime: 1 Day 6 Hours 51 Minutes 9 Seconds
                IP Address: 192.168.1.210
                Number of Devices: 149
                Number of Events: 31
                Available Threads: 399

Enabled Plug-Ins
                3.0.0.22: Ecobee
                3.0.0.25: ImperiHome
                3.0.1.109: PHLocation
                0.0.0.38: Pushover 3P
                3.0.6413.20219: UltraNetCam3
                3.0.0.83: weatherXML
                3.0.1.190: Z-Wave

Comment

Originally posted by gwichman View Post
                  The system is behaving at the moment but has only been up 1 day (after doing an apt get upgrade and rebooting due to a new kernel to see if that helps). It became unresponsive while i was on vacation 3 days ago and I couldn't remotely control anything. Came home and power cycled it. Will have to see if/when it does it again and try to log in and poke around.

Wish it had sysstools installed so that i could run some sar commands to see what was going on with cpu/mem over time. But for some reason apt-get doesn't know what sysstat is on these things. I'm sure that the problem is me though and i just haven't figured out how to get it for Pi.

pi@raspberrypi:~ $ uname -a
                  Linux raspberrypi 4.14.30-v7+ #1102 SMP Mon Mar 26 16:45:49 BST 2018 armv7l GNU/Linux

Current Date/Time: 29/03/2018 15:29:01
                  HomeSeer Version: HS3 Standard Edition 3.0.0.368
                  Linux version: ApplicationName='./run_command_raw.sh', CommandLine=''uname -a'', CurrentDirectory='', Native error= Cannot find the specified fileSystem Uptime: 1 Day 6 Hours 51 Minutes 9 Seconds
                  IP Address: 192.168.1.210
                  Number of Devices: 149
                  Number of Events: 31
                  Available Threads: 399

Enabled Plug-Ins
                  3.0.0.22: Ecobee
                  3.0.0.25: ImperiHome
                  3.0.1.109: PHLocation
                  0.0.0.38: Pushover 3P
                  3.0.6413.20219: UltraNetCam3
                  3.0.0.83: weatherXML
                  3.0.1.190: Z-Wave

Ok that tells us what kernel you're using. Type the following commands in in a SSH session or in Terminal if you are using a monitor and keyboards locally

lsb_release -a
                  mono --version

Let us know what the output is.

Comment

Ok that tells us what kernel you're using. Type the following commands in in a SSH session or in Terminal if you are using a monitor and keyboards locally

lsb_release -a
                    mono --version

Let us know what the output is.
                    pi@raspberrypi:~ $ lsb_release -a
                    No LSB modules are available.
                    Distributor ID: Raspbian
                    Description: Raspbian GNU/Linux 9.4 (stretch)
                    Release: 9.4
                    Codename: stretch
                    pi@raspberrypi:~ $ mono --version
                    Mono JIT compiler version 5.10.1.4 (tarball Wed Mar 21 12:01:46 UTC 2018)
                    Copyright (C) 2002-2014 Novell, Inc, Xamarin Inc and Contributors. www.mono-project.com
                    TLS: __thread
                    SIGSEGV: normal
                    Notifications: epoll
                    Architecture: armel,vfp+hard
                    Disabled: none
                    Misc: softdebug
                    Interpreter: yes
                    LLVM: supported, not enabled.
                    GC: sgen (concurrent by default)
                    pi@raspberrypi:~ $

Comment

Ok so you have the latest version of Raspbian Stretch and Mono installed. I know you probably prefer to use the latest stable version of HS3 but have you considered installing the latest beta .423. A lot has changed in Mono since .368 was released and it might serve you better to try it out.It might resolve performance and memory issues too.

If you decide to go ahead just take an image of your current working .368 HS3 along with a backup of your settings and upgrade from .368 to .423. If you don't find it suits or if it's not an improvement you can simply format the card and reimage it with the working .368 version you took previously.

Comment

Ok so you have the latest version of Raspbian Stretch and Mono installed. I know you probably prefer to use the latest stable version of HS3 but have you considered installing the latest beta .423. A lot has changed in Mono since .368 was released and it might serve you better to try it out.It might resolve performance and memory issues too.

If you decide to go ahead just take an image of your current working .368 HS3 along with a backup of your settings and upgrade from .368 to .423. If you don't find it suits or if it's not an improvement you can simply format the card and reimage it with the working .368 version you took previously.
                        Thanks for the help.

I don't mind giving it a go. It'll be my first attempt upgrading. From what i've read elsewhere, I really just untar the latest HS3 over my Homeseer directory correct?

1. Stop HS3
                        2. tar entire Homeseer directory and save somewhere
                        3. untar new version of HS3 over same directory
                        4. Start HS3

?

Comment

Originally posted by gwichman View Post
                          Thanks for the help.

I don't mind giving it a go. It'll be my first attempt upgrading. From what i've read elsewhere, I really just untar the latest HS3 over my Homeseer directory correct?

1. Stop HS3
                          2. tar entire Homeseer directory and save somewhere
                          3. untar new version of HS3 over same directory
                          4. Start HS3

?
                          Yes.

1. Stop HS3
                          2. wget https:// the file you want to download
                          3. tar xvf the file you just downloaded
                          4. Restart HS3

Comment

Thanks. Will update now.

Last night before I went to bed it borked again. Load up in the 70s and essentially out of memory. I let it sit like that for an hour to see if it'd recover without any luck. I couldn't log in another session or load the console. I managed to have htop running at the time which looked like this below. Looks like a memory leak to me.

So I power cycled it and this morning it's still behaving. Swap is 0K, memory below 400M, CPU about 15%.

Comment

Up and running on the latest beta.
                              Memory utilization is ~369M/923M
                              CPU utilization is ~15-20%

we'll see how it holds up..

Comment

Working...
                              X