Linking Devices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Linking Devices

I have a Zigbee motion sensor that I use via the Jowihue plug-in to trigger a z-wave device. It all works fine.

However the zigbee motion sensor status doesn't get recorded in the log. So I created a virtual device in HS3 and linked the zigbee sensor to the virtual device. As soon as the motion sensor activates, the virtual device turns to on and vice versa. Perfect!

Except, the virtual device isn't status isn't captured in the log either. That doesn't make sense to me. I then created an event that if the sensor activates, turn on the virtual device and that does get recorded in the log.

It seems linking would be so much neater. I did note that the virtual device had to be set as "Control", being set to just status didn't even allow linking.

Thoughts?

A device has to be controllable to be linked. A linked device does not get logged when controlled from another device.

You might look at your motion sensor device and see if "Do not log commands from this device:" is checked. The JowiHue plug-in automatically selects that option when devices are created.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	1
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	1196030
    HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

The "Do Not Log..." is not checked. Only "Hide from mobile view" is checked.

I'm not so sure about linked devices not being recorded in the log, or I don't fully understand. I have a galley kitchen with two sets of undercounter lights. The event turns one set of lights on 30 minutes before sunset, the link turns on the other set of lights and both stove side and sink side are in the log.

Mar-27 18:13:47 Z-Wave Device: Lighting Kitchen Over Stove Set to 98
      Mar-27 18:13:47 Z-Wave Device: Lighting Kitchen Over Sink Set to 98
      Mar-27 18:13:47 Device Control Device: Lighting Kitchen Over Stove to Dim 98% (98)
      Mar-27 18:13:47 Event Event Trigger "Lighting - Kitchen Counter Lighting before Sunset"
      Attached Files
      Last edited by racerfern; March 27, 2018, 06:33 PM. Reason: more info of course

Comment

Originally posted by racerfern View Post
        The "Do Not Log..." is not checked. Only "Hide from mobile view" is checked.

I'm not so sure about linked devices not being recorded in the log, or I don't fully understand. I have a galley kitchen with two sets of undercounter lights. The event turns one set of lights on 30 minutes before sunset, the link turns on the other set of lights and both stove side and sink side are in the log.

Mar-27 18:13:47 Z-Wave Device: Lighting Kitchen Over Stove Set to 98
        Mar-27 18:13:47 Z-Wave Device: Lighting Kitchen Over Sink Set to 98
        Mar-27 18:13:47 Device Control Device: Lighting Kitchen Over Stove to Dim 98% (98)
        Mar-27 18:13:47 Event Event Trigger "Lighting - Kitchen Counter Lighting before Sunset"
        I was going from memory. When device linking was offered I did some testing, but I do not use linked devices in production. I didn't think the linked device control was logged. Apparently I didn't remember correctly.

With regard to your problem, I would guess the plug-in developer has chosen not to log device commands. That doesn't explain why the linked virtual device doesn't, unless it is a result of the primary device's absence of logging.
        HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

I surely have less of an understanding than you. So I'll use the event procedure which does log.

Of course the solution would be to have a z-wave device but at the price point and size of zigbee sensors, it's tough to ignore the economic and aesthetic advantage.

Comment

Working...
          X