A word of caution: Windows 10 April 2018 update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A word of caution: Windows 10 April 2018 update

The Windows 10 April 2018 update was just released. I have had it running on my laptop and desktop for a little while. I just installed it on my HomeSeer server and there were two changes that caused problems
    1. The update enabled "World Wide Web Publishing Service" (a component of IIS). This service grabs port 80 by default. Having it running will stop HomeSeer's HTTP server from working on the default port (80). I stopped and disabled the service.
    2. I have 2 NICs on the server and one was disabled prior to the update. The update enabled both of them, resulting in two IP addresses. This may cause problems with HomeSeer and HSSentry unless you have taken steps to bind both to the appropriate IP address.
    Otherwise, everything seems fine.
    Last edited by randy; May 26, 2018, 02:52 PM.
    HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Originally posted by rprade View Post
    The Windows 10 April 2018 update was just released. I have had it running on my laptop and desktop for a little while. I just installed it on my HomeSeer server and there were two changes that caused problems
    1. The update enabled "World Wide Web Publishing Service (a component of IIS). This service grabs port 80 by default. Having it running will stop HomeSeer's HTTP server from working on the default port (80). I stopped and disabled the service.
    2. I have 2 NICs on the server and one was disabled prior to the update. The update enabled both of them, resulting in two IP addresses. This may cause problems with HomeSeer and HSSentry unless you have taken steps to bind both to the appropriate IP address.

Otherwise, everything seems fine.
    I'm having problems with HS and the default TTS voice. No matter the voice is selected as the default voice in Windows, HS3 (Chromecast PI) will only use the Microsoft Mark voice.
    RJ_Make On YouTube

Comment

Oh and I also ran into this non-HS3 issue on the 2 machines I updated.

https://www.ghacks.net/2018/04/17/fi...-1803-upgrade/
      RJ_Make On YouTube

Comment

1. The update enabled "World Wide Web Publishing Service (a component of IIS). This service grabs port 80 by default. Having it running will stop HomeSeer's HTTP server from working on the default port (80). I stopped and disabled the service.

Randy, where do we find this service to disable it? My laptop after the update now takes a long time to boot up. Used to be real fast.

Comment

Originally posted by cowinger View Post
          [/LIST]
          Randy, where do we find this service to disable it? My laptop after the update now takes a long time to boot up. Used to be real fast.
          Type services.msc into the search box and it will launch an applet to manage the services. They are in alphabetical order.

Comment

Originally posted by ServiceXp View Post
            Oh and I also ran into this non-HS3 issue on the 2 machines I updated.

https://www.ghacks.net/2018/04/17/fi...-1803-upgrade/
            My Function Discovery Resource Publication Service was unaffected on any of the three machines. It was already set to automatic. I may have changed that myself sometime after the original Windows 10 launched.

Comment

Originally posted by ServiceXp View Post
              I'm having problems with HS and the default TTS voice. No matter the voice is selected as the default voice in Windows, HS3 (Chromecast PI) will only use the Microsoft Mark voice.
              Mine is still switching among the voices I have. I am only using Microsoft David and Microsoft Zira. Mark is only a 64-bit voice on mine and therefore will not work with HomeSeer.

Comment

Mine is still switching among the voices I have. I am only using Microsoft David and Microsoft Zira. Mark is only a 64-bit voice on mine and therefore will not work with HomeSeer.
                Thanks, I think I've exhausted everything I know to do at this point. Perhaps this is PI problem and not a HS3 problem..
                RJ_Make On YouTube

Comment

Type services.msc into the search box and it will launch an applet to manage the services. They are in alphabetical order.
                  Thanks Randy, I didn't find anything called that. But I did finally upgrade to 435 and it seemed to fix the speed problem.

Comment

Originally posted by cowinger View Post
                    Thanks Randy, I didn't find anything called that. But I did finally upgrade to 435 and it seemed to fix the speed problem.
                    I have not been able to figure out why Windows 10 enables IIS (which installs that service) on some machines and not on others. On mine, I had just disabled the World Wide Web Publishing Service and the update enabled it. I just removed IIS, which should prevent this in the future because that removes the service altogether. .

Comment

I have not been able to figure out why Windows 10 enables IIS (which installs that service) on some machines and not on others. On mine, I had just disabled the World Wide Web Publishing Service and the update enabled it. I just removed IIS, which should prevent this in the future because that removes the service altogether. .
                      What flavor of WIN10 do you have? I have the WIN10 Home and have never noticed IIS being installed.

Comment

Originally posted by logbuilder View Post
                        What flavor of WIN10 do you have? I have the WIN10 Home and have never noticed IIS being installed.
                        It is Windows 10 Pro. I always run Pro so that RDP is included. It was a free upgrade from Windows 7. I had 5 computers that went from Win7 Pro to Win 10, none of them were running IIS. Two of them ended up with IIS installed after the initial upgrade to Win 10, the other 3 didn't.

I have 2 new laptops now which came with Windows 10 Pro from the start. I am installing the April 2018 update on one of them tonight and the second one tomorrow.

Comment

Mine are vanilla Home editions. I run VNC to cover that void. Works great. I have two HS3 Win10 Home systems that are headless and are supported great with VNC. I access them both from a Win 8.1 Home laptop also running VNC.

Comment

Should HS3 show up in the new "App volume and device preferences" setting? It doesn't, on my server machine, or any client.
                            HomeSeer Version: HS4 Pro Edition 4.2.19.0 (Windows - Running as a Service)
                            Home Assistant 2024.3
                            Operating System: Microsoft Windows 11 Pro - Desktop
                            Z-Wave Devices via two Z-Net G3s
                            Zigbee Devices via RaspBee on RPi 3b+
                            WiFi Devices via Internal Router.

Enabled Plug-Ins
                            AK GoogleCalendar 4.0.4.16,AK HomeAssistant 4.0.1.23,AK SmartDevice 4.0.5.1,AK Weather 4.0.5.181,AmbientWeather 3.0.1.9,Big6 3.44.0.0,BLBackup 2.0.64.0,BLGData 3.0.55.0,BLLock 3.0.39.0,BLUPS 2.0.26.0,Device History 4.5.1.1,EasyTrigger 3.0.0.76,Harmony Hub 4.0.14.0,HSBuddy 4.51.303.0,JowiHue 4.1.4.0,LG ThinQ 4.0.26.0,ONVIF Events 1.0.0.5,SDJ-Health 3.1.1.9,TPLinkSmartHome4 2022.12.30.0,UltraCID3 3.0.6681.34300,Z-Wave 4.1.3.0

Comment

Originally posted by ewkearns View Post
                              Should HS3 show up in the new "App volume and device preferences" setting? It doesn't, on my server machine, or any client.
                              I don't know. My server doesn't have audio.

Comment

Working...
                              X