Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Automatically restarting HS3 when it crashes

Hi,

Does anyone know if it is possible to set up Windows 10, or by using a third part utility, to automatically restart HS3 when it crashes. HS3 will run for a couple of weeks and then crash. The latest update has improved things. Would be great if something monitored this process, notified you when it did crash. Then restarted HS3 again.

John

HSSentry is built in and will monitor the HS weserver. It will restart HS within about a minute if it freezes or crashes.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.PNG
Views:	1
Size:	23.7 KB
ID:	1196765

There is currently a bug with the program that can occur when your HS server has two network adaptors. Multiple host IP addresses can cause HSSentry to restart HomeSeer continuously. If you have a single IP address, it works very well.

It will not notify you when it crashes, but I use an Event to send a Pushover message when HS starts.
    HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Thanks, that was simple.

John

Comment

Originally posted by rprade View Post
        HSSentry is built in and will monitor the HS weserver. It will restart HS within about a minute if it freezes or crashes.

It will not notify you when it crashes, but I use an Event to send a Pushover message when HS starts.
        I am wondering how are you sending the Pushover message? I just looked and I don't see anything that would know HS restarted.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by sonypoolplr View Post
          I am wondering how are you sending the Pushover message? I just looked and I don't see anything that would know HS restarted.

Thanks
          I run an Event from the startup script. I discribed it in this post

Comment

Thank you

Comment

HS3 is relatively stable, I'd be more concern when the PC crashes. I've ran into this issue a few times.

I use Nettool to ping HS3 port, I let it alert my gmail account if it fail for more than 5 minutes. IFTTT picks up the email message and power cycle the Wemo that the HS3 PC is connected to. Also make sure to set the PC to power back on after a power failure.

Comment

I woke up this morning to HS3 not running on my server... The PC did not reboot.… first time in awhile this has happened.

I see I don't have HSSentry running.... Nor can I find a single doc on what it is and how to use it, other than being referred to in posts like this.

is there somewhere I can read more about this?

Comment

Originally posted by Tomgru View Post
                  I woke up this morning to HS3 not running on my server... The PC did not reboot.… first time in awhile this has happened.

I see I don't have HSSentry running.... Nor can I find a single doc on what it is and how to use it, other than being referred to in posts like this.

is there somewhere I can read more about this?
                  Just enable it in setup:

Name:	Capture1.PNG
Size:	35.0 KB
ID:	1197058

It is configurable and explained in the HomeSeer Help Resources:

Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	1197057

By default, it will check once every 20 seconds. After 7 failures it will restart HomeSeer. If it is running, but not responding, it will be killed before starting again. At the default setting, HomeSeer will restart approximately 2-1/2 minutes after the webserver stops responding.

Comment

Thanks Randy! Do I restart to get it going after checking the box?

Comment

Originally posted by Tomgru View Post
                      Thanks Randy! Do I restart to get it going after checking the box?
                      Yes. Changing the setting in configuration will not start or stop the HSSentry process. If the setting is selected HSSEntry will be launched at HomeSeer startup. If homeseer is stopped with the service disabled in settings, HSSentry will continue to run until it is terminated through Task Manager, Services or if the computer is rebooted.

Size:	11.9 KB
ID:	1197059

The behavior was changed several releases ago and now it behaves as I think it should. This means if you are running HSSentry and shut down HomeSeer, it will be restarted in about 2-1/2 minutes. If you want to shut HomeSeer down without it restarting, you will have to kill the service or reboot the computer without launching HomeSeer.
                      Last edited by randy; June 10, 2018, 01:24 PM.

Comment

Also of note, in the HomeSeer root directory, there is hs_sentry.log which will let you know details about the service.

Also of note, if you start HS3Sentry.exe by itself at computer startup, it will automatically start HomeSeer after 2-1/2 minutes. It does not need to be lauched with HS3.exe in order to work.

Comment

Originally posted by rprade View Post
                          Yes. Changing the setting in configuration will not start or stop the HSSentry process. If the setting is selected HSSEntry will be launched at HomeSeer startup. If homeseer is stopped with the service disabled in settings, HSSentry will continue to run until it is terminated through Task Manager, Services or id the computer is rebooted.

The behavior was changed several releases ago and now it behaves as I think it should. This means if you are running HSSentry and shut down HomeSeer, it will be restarted in about 2-1/2 minutes. If you want to shut HomeSeer down without it restarting, you will have to kill the service or reboot the computer without launching HomeSeer.
                          Perfect. Thanks again

Comment

Working...
                          X