Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it possible to use Homeseer with fire TV remote without echo?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it possible to use Homeseer with fire TV remote without echo?

I have Google home for homeseer but occasionally, I wish I can just use the fire TV remote to issue commands for homeseer. I don't have an echo. Do you need an echo to use Alexa with HS or can I use the fire TV built in Alexa?

Originally posted by dannieboiz View Post
    I have Google home for homeseer but occasionally, I wish I can just use the fire TV remote to issue commands for homeseer. I don't have an echo. Do you need an echo to use Alexa with HS or can I use the fire TV built in Alexa?
    I dunno. Never tried it. It might it is Alexa...just have to talk around with a Remote in hand.

Comment

Originally posted by jeubanks View Post
      I dunno. Never tried it. It might it is Alexa...just have to talk around with a Remote in hand.
      Yes. I use Curl to send commands to my FireTV. You need to have developer mode enabled in the FTV settings. For example, this is one of my commandlines I use in a Homeseer event (along with turning on a bunch of stuff via Global Cache devices)

Code:
      "http://192.168.86.65:5556/devices/action/Bedroom_TV/turn_on"

You can also use ADB as well, although I have found the first way more reliable. Do a Google search for "Control FireTV with ADB" You should find a link to one of Amazon's developer sites with a bunch of info on how to control this way.

Comment

Originally posted by rmiles7721 View Post
        Yes. I use Curl to send commands to my FireTV. You need to have developer mode enabled in the FTV settings. For example, this is one of my commandlines I use in a Homeseer event (along with turning on a bunch of stuff via Global Cache devices)

Code:

You can also use ADB as well, although I have found the first way more reliable. Do a Google search for "Control FireTV with ADB" You should find a link to one of Amazon's developer sites with a bunch of info on how to control this way.
        I think the question was using the Fire TV remote for voice commands to HomeSeer... since the FireTV has Alexa built in like an Echo.

Comment

Originally posted by jeubanks View Post
          I think the question was using the Fire TV remote for voice commands to HomeSeer... since the FireTV has Alexa built in like an Echo.
          This is correct...

but Jeubank brought up an interesting topic. So what exactly are you controlling the fire stick from HS?

I refuse to use a Chromecast due to lack of remote but since GH and Alexa hates each other, you can't cast to the fire tv nor can you use GH to control Alexa.

Putting down the spatular, washing my hands then turn on the TV and have to browse to a title to watch is a lot to ask these days.

Comment

Echo Dots are like a whole 30.00

Comment

Originally posted by integlikewhoa View Post
              Echo Dots are like a whole 30.00
              Trying to avoid 2 ecosystems in the house. It confuses certain individual around here. Lol I had one sitting in the box a few months ago and never had the desire to use it then I gave it away.

Comment

FYI: I got this questions answered.

I was treating the remote like an actual Echo device which doesn't work...

On both the remote and phone alexa app, after pressing and hold the mic button, you still have to say Alexa - command.

Comment

I can use my remote for the Fire TV (Firestick) just like I use the remote for The Amazon Echo (I have one of the first Amazon Echos, it included the remote). Just press the mic button on the firestick remote and say “turn on the sunroom fan”. It fully controls all of the devices that are set up to work with Homeseer via Alexa.

I love this feature.

I am also using the firestick to display live video from my Wyze Camera.

Steve Q
                  HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.368, Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 - Home, Number of Devices: 373, Number of Events: 666, Enabled Plug-Ins
                  2.0.83.0: BLRF, 2.0.10.0: BLUSBUIRT, 3.0.0.75: HSTouch Server, 3.0.0.58: mcsXap, 3.0.0.11: NetCAM, 3.0.0.36: X10, 3.0.1.25: Z-Wave,Alexa,HomeKit

Comment

Originally posted by rmiles7721 View Post

Code:

Can you expand on this. I would like to have HomeSeer start a photo slide show on Fire TV. I currently have full control of my home theater via Homeseer. I would like to add Fire TV. I do not have any android devices. If possible, I would like to directly send http or JSON commands from HS3 to the firestick.

Steve Q
                    HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.368, Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 - Home, Number of Devices: 373, Number of Events: 666, Enabled Plug-Ins
                    2.0.83.0: BLRF, 2.0.10.0: BLUSBUIRT, 3.0.0.75: HSTouch Server, 3.0.0.58: mcsXap, 3.0.0.11: NetCAM, 3.0.0.36: X10, 3.0.1.25: Z-Wave,Alexa,HomeKit

Comment

Working...
                    X