Using the security setting with triggers for home security

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Uncle Michael View Post
    I just checked one of my events with a security offset. It is set to run at 10:32 tonight. The log indicates that it ran at 10:44 last night. If you do not see something similar, then there is clearly something wrong with your event.
    I just checked again today. The log indicates that the event did run at 10:32 last night. It is scheduled to run tonight at 10:30. (I was wrong about when HS updates the offset. It's clearly not at Midnight, but I don't know when it occurred.)
    Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
    HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

On my two test events that were both set to trigger at 9:17PM yesterday, one ran at 9:28 and the other ran at 9:17. The event that ran at 9:28 was the original event that ran at 9:17 the day before.

It looks like some randomness is getting in there. I cannot tell when the random time is applied.
      HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.16 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

I also can confirm that my tests show events randomizing, despite not showing a random number after the previous event ran (or after midnight).

So this is good, it works! It's not obvious that it works, but it does indeed work based on the three trials documented here! Thank you for your input, everyone!

Comment

Sorry... real dumb question. But what's the purpose of the security randomize feature for events?

Robert
          HS3PRO 3.0.0.500 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, JowiHue, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dots, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.

Comment

Originally posted by langenet View Post
            Sorry... real dumb question. But what's the purpose of the security randomize feature for events?

Robert
            It can add a random offset to any time triggered event. You must stipulate in the event "Security (Randomize Time Triggers)", enable security offset and stipulate an offset in settings.

In theory every time triggered event with Security enabled will be randomly set to trigger at the stipulated time +- some or all of the offset value.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucid View Post
              I also can confirm that my tests show events randomizing, despite not showing a random number after the previous event ran (or after midnight).

So this is good, it works! It's not obvious that it works, but it does indeed work based on the three trials documented here! Thank you for your input, everyone!
              I just got the answer to when this changes the random time. Maybe someone can say why.
              I have it set for 9pm and just now at 12:00 noon it changed. Anybody know why that particular time. How would that relate to a time that was set in the AM. Would it change at 12:00 midnight?

Comment

Originally posted by cowinger View Post
                I just got the answer to when this changes the random time. Maybe someone can say why.
                I have it set for 9pm and just now at 12:00 noon it changed. Anybody know why that particular time. How would that relate to a time that was set in the AM. Would it change at 12:00 midnight?
                Mine have not changed at noon. They are still where they were at 7:00AM.

Comment

Originally posted by rprade View Post
                  Mine have not changed at noon. They are still where they were at 7:00AM.
                  That could be because they are set for the AM. Mine is set for the PM and it changed at noon. Perhaps the AM ones will set at midnight.

Comment

Originally posted by cowinger View Post
                    That could be because they are set for the AM. Mine is set for the PM and it changed at noon. Perhaps the AM ones will set at midnight.
                    My two test events are set for 9:00PM. I just checked them this morning at 7:00AM. I checked them again at 12:15PM.

Comment

Thanks Randy, but what's the use case for adding a time offset?
                      When would I want to or need to do this?

Robert
                      HS3PRO 3.0.0.500 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, JowiHue, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dots, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.

Comment

Originally posted by langenet View Post
                        Thanks Randy, but what's the use case for adding a time offset?
                        When would I want to or need to do this?

Robert
                        The only thing I can think of is to randomize lighting times to make a house look lived in. Im not sure how many potential burglars would monitor the times lights and actually know they were random from one day to the next. I would think the only thing that would deter a potential burglar is a TV or TV simulator. There is nothing that makes a house look occupied more than the flicker from a TV.

Comment

Originally posted by rprade View Post
                          My two test events are set for 9:00PM. I just checked them this morning at 7:00AM. I checked them again at 12:15PM.
                          Randy, so are you saying that your times for the PM did not change the set time at noon? Does it still read 9:17pm as before?

Comment

I have a Samsung TV, but had never thought to make it turn on/off by itself when not at home. Anyone know of a way to do that?

Comment

Originally posted by NetworkGuy View Post
                              I have a Samsung TV, but had never thought to make it turn on/off by itself when not at home. Anyone know of a way to do that?
                              cheeryfool

Comment

Thanks, I'll look into those options.

Comment

Working...
                                X