Optimize a network

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Optimize a network

Hi everyone, just out of curiosity how many of you optimize a network and how long it should normally take?

I have switched from Z-stick to smart stick and I have followed the instructions that came with it. Pretty simple steps and all is good.

Final two steps are pretty painful from my experience.

Rebuilding the routing table - optimize network with no return route changes took several hours.

Adding return routes: Fully optimize a network took well over 12 hours.

I have couple of questions.

1. Is that normal time frame in your experience for this task with my setup? See below.

2. How often should optimize network? Only when adding new devices or is it good practice to run optimization from time to time?

Thanks Charles

Current Date/Time: 7/1/2018 6:41:53 PM
    HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro - Work Station
    System Uptime: 8 Days 4 Hours 40 Minutes 58 Seconds
    IP Address: 192.168.50.202
    Number of Devices: 470
    Number of Events: 190
    Available Threads: 800
    HSTouch Enabled: True
    Event Threads: 3
    Event Trigger Eval Queue: 0
    Event Trigger Priority Eval Queue: 0
    Device Exec Queue: 0
    HSTouch Event Queue: 0
    Email Send Queue: 0
    Anti Virus Installed: Windows Defender

Enabled Plug-Ins
    2.0.59.0: BLBackup
    3.1.3.33206: Blue-Iris
    3.7.2.0: Harmony Hub
    0.0.0.42: Pushover 3P
    3.0.0.21: Sonos
    3.0.6702.34494: UltraWeatherWU3
    3.0.1.220: Z-Wave

That's not normal. It actually sounds like the zwave device is locking up, and the optimization is not even getting completed. To be honest, I don't know how you would ever troubleshoot a zwave network without the z-seer software. It gives a graphical look at what's going on with all the nodes. I want to say if you bought the pro bundle it is free, but other than that you have to buy it. but, i'm not sure you have a choice. The built in optimization works when you have no issues, but if you have issues I don't see how it is any good. And, keep in mind if you unplug a routing appliance module it'll work for a couple of weeks, but then all heck breaks loose and the controller tries routing everything to the missing node (Or so it seems). so, to recap, z-seer or stumble around in the dark.

Comment

I will look into that. I asked because was taking forever..

I don't think I have it installed anymore. It is just PC software not app, correct?

Comment

OK.. So I have downloaded Z-Seer+ software and while playing with it I have noticed message about skipping some devices during optimizing node because node ID is 0

Here is example.

Skipping device KitchenDimmer Device since its Z-Wave node ID is 0

Device is working fine. I can't assign correct node ID as it is missing. I have a few devices like that apparently are working but missing correct Node ID.

Would that be possible problem while doing optimization? Would that cause other issues on network? There is some reference to Node id as you can see on screen shot.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Node.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	91.4 KB
ID:	1197326

Click image for larger version

Name:	Node_Missing.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	78.2 KB
ID:	1197327

I would like to correct it. I wonder if there is easy way to do it without removing and adding devices to the network. I would have to re-work events as well which would be pain.

Any ideas?

Probably question for more experienced HS user.

Would Replace Node function with same device do the trick? I guess that will not work. Tried it with no success.

Maybe editing Z-wave back up file?

Something else to try? I really don't want to re-do close to 30 devices and fix all associated events.. :-(

Thanks for your input. Charles
        Last edited by Charles_cz; July 1, 2018, 10:11 PM.

Comment

Did you do a packet test? I'm not 100% on how you use the software, my limited experience is when I had unplugged a GE Outdoor link in the garage while plugging in a power tool, and left it like that. Everything stopped working, and when I used the zseer sw, it showed the missing node. I plugged the node back in, and reoptimized and everything started working again. The missing node ID, i'd wait for someone who knows about that chimes in.

Comment

There are a few posts about the no node id, it seems to be a common problem. I had it myself a few times. Sometimes, a re scan of the node can fix it. Other times, try including the device again without excluding it before). Sometimes that works. If all else fails (for me unfortunately that is 90% of the time) a complete exclude and include again seems to be the only option... Obviously try a replace node before just in case. Not what you want to hear, I know... it means rebuilding all events and scenes that device was in...

Comment

mikee123, thank you for your input. That is going to be long process for me.

I wonder if there is some recommended read or documentation so I can better understand where the node information is actually missing. Clearly there is still some Network and Node ID info there but it is missing in Option section.

Could that be possibly manually added somewhere?

The worst part is I had no idea that this problem existed since everything is working on surface. I could be missing there for some time!

Anyway, just looking for some answers and better understanding of situation for future troubleshooting.

Hopefully more people will chime in..

Comment

mikee123, including the device again without excluding it actually worked for me. That saved me ton of time.

I got it all fixed except couple of relays that I will have to remove from el. boxes or I will need longer USB cable to get them in range.

Anyway, thanks for the tip!

Comment

Working...
                X