Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Z-Wave device turned on/off without events?!?!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Z-Wave device turned on/off without events?!?!!!

So I have a device that turns on and off magically without any event referencing this device:
    Jul-04 18:34:49 Z-Wave Device: Walk-In-Closet Internet Connection and Power Switch Binary Set to ON
    Jul-04 18:34:48 Z-Wave Device: Walk-In-Closet Internet Connection and Power Switch Binary Set to OFF
    Jul-04 18:02:33 Z-Wave Device: Walk-In-Closet Internet Connection and Power Switch Binary Set to ON
    Jul-04 18:02:32 Z-Wave Device: Walk-In-Closet Internet Connection and Power Switch Binary Set to OFF
    Jul-04 17:52:42 Z-Wave Device: Walk-In-Closet Internet Connection and Power Switch Binary Set to ON
    Jul-04 17:52:41 Z-Wave Device: Walk-In-Closet Internet Connection and Power Switch Binary Set to OFF
    Jul-04 17:05:25 Z-Wave Device: Walk-In-Closet Internet Connection and Power Switch Binary Set to ON
    Jul-04 17:05:24 Z-Wave Device: Walk-In-Closet Internet Connection and Power Switch Binary Set to OFF
    Jul-04 16:53:23 Z-Wave Device: Walk-In-Closet Internet Connection and Power Switch Binary Set to ON
    Jul-04 16:53:22 Z-Wave Device: Walk-In-Closet Internet Connection and Power Switch Binary Set to OFF
    Jul-04 14:53:46 Z-Wave Device: Walk-In-Closet Internet Connection and Power Switch Binary Set to ON
    Jul-04 14:53:45 Z-Wave Device: Walk-In-Closet Internet Connection and Power Switch Binary Set to OFF
    Jul-04 12:24:53 Z-Wave Device: Walk-In-Closet Internet Connection and Power Switch Binary Set to ON
    Jul-04 12:24:52 Z-Wave Device: Walk-In-Closet Internet Connection and Power Switch Binary Set to OFF
    Jul-04 11:43:47 Z-Wave Device: Walk-In-Closet Internet Connection and Power Switch Binary Set to ON
    Jul-04 11:43:46 Z-Wave Device: Walk-In-Closet Internet Connection and Power Switch Binary Set to OFF
    Jul-04 11:37:31 Z-Wave Device: Walk-In-Closet Internet Connection and Power Switch Binary Set to ON
    Jul-04 11:37:29 Z-Wave Device: Walk-In-Closet Internet Connection and Power Switch Binary Set to OFF
    Jul-04 10:06:25 Z-Wave Device: Walk-In-Closet Internet Connection and Power Switch Binary Set to ON
    Jul-04 10:06:24 Z-Wave Device: Walk-In-Closet Internet Connection and Power Switch Binary Set to OFF

Now as it happens, this device in question is a Fibaro Plug-In switch which I only use for measure power, and it is between power outlet in the wall and a UPS. So the end result is just that the UPS kicks in when it is turned off....

Yes I could set the Fibaro Plug-In switch to Always ON.

However I am much more interested in WHY this commands are sent, and from WHERE.

As I mentioned there is NO event referencing this device.
    I have nothing that triggers this even to happen - I do not even use that on the WEB control page of HomeSeer (where one of course could change this).

It is the 2nd last device added - the only device after this one is a Aeotec MultiSensor 6 (which in battery mode is just useless - but that is another story).

I had something similar on my Zee S2, but that unit is not used anymore. Now I use a Ubuntu 16.04 with HomeSeer on. And I thought the change should remove this kind of "ghost Z-Wave device changes"... I was wrong.

So anyone have anything like this before?

I am still investigating this, so far I can say:
    - turning logging on/off does not fix the issue

- rescan the Z-wave device does not fix the issue

Currently testing by removing reading I have done every change on power value from the sensor and sending it to thingspeak.com - so now I can not follow the usage, but for testing I need to see if this can be part of the equation - I hope not... If it runs without on/off sequences for 48h I guess I know...

Comment

strange one!

Comment

Is it possible the switch is part of an association with another device like a motion sensor or accessory switch?
        HS4Pro on a Raspberry Pi4
        54 Z-Wave Nodes / 21 Zigbee Devices / 108 Events / 767 Devices
        Plugins: Z-Wave / Zigbee Plus / EasyTrigger / AK Weather / OMNI

HSTouch Clients: 1 Android

Comment

Still problems, removing logging to thingspeak.com made no difference, so I continue:
          - Changed the Fibaro Plug-In switch to a brand new one, which I first verified (kind of) that it did not have the same problem - no solution, new Plug-In Switch got the same problem with the same load....

So I put the original back.

Conclusion so far:

It appears as if the load changes very rappidly, I get ghost changes of the state of the plugin. However, I do not know if it is fired from within HomeSeer or from within the Fibaro Plug-In Switch itself.

Now I had no problems like this before I had Homeseer software (I have used, in order, Vera - Fibaro HS2 - OpenHab - HS2 - some other stuff - HS2 (again for 3rd time). I got this behavior when I moved to HomeSeer, first on my Zee S2 which I just replaced with a Linux HS3 based solution.

In addition: I have a Fibaro Plug-In Switch on my Refrigerator- When I started to use that device in my current HS3, I got a power off which I could not solve. I then decided to setup that device as Always ON. I could of course do the same for this device, however I would like to get to understand what is happening - and why?

Comment

Originally posted by rmasonjr View Post
            Is it possible the switch is part of an association with another device like a motion sensor or accessory switch?

I have not entered any such information so I would say No to that.

Comment

I use Aeotec SmartSwitches around my home rather than the Fibaro ones and have no such problem. Some I use for turning things on and off, others are used simply for power monitoring (such as washing machine and dish washer) so I know when they are complete.

I don't have the problem you are having.

I mention only to help highlight the issue is therefore specific to the Fibaro equivalent smartswitch/wall plug.

I do use Fibaro for every one of my light switches and dimmers though, they work fantastic.

Comment

I do not think this is a Fibaro device related thing at all:

I have programmed my Fibaro Plug-In Switch to "Always ON" - so it can not change state. After doing so, I tried to change state by pressing the button on the Fibaro Plug-In Switch, and there is NO rows in the log system indicating even that I tried to do what I just tried to do.

However, from time to time, I still get ghost turn on/off:

Jul-06 07:37:43 Z-Wave Device: Walk-In-Closet Internet Connection and Power Switch Binary Set to ON
                Jul-06 07:37:41 Z-Wave Device: Walk-In-Closet Internet Connection and Power Switch Binary Set to OFF
                Jul-06 07:30:24 Z-Wave Device: Walk-In-Closet Internet Connection and Power Switch Binary Set to ON
                Jul-06 07:30:22 Z-Wave Device: Walk-In-Closet Internet Connection and Power Switch Binary Set to OFF

So from this it is more logical to say that this is a HomeSeer problem.

At this stage, I am not sure what is happening inside HS3 - the log says one thing - I know for a fact that the device is "Always ON".

So question still remains - what is happening and why?

Comment

I had a similar problem, try turning off polling completely on plugins - manage - zwave, see if that solves the problem. Excessive polling turned out to be my issue. This is just to eliminate that as a cause of your issues. Just an idea.

Comment

Originally posted by larhedse View Post
                    I do not think this is a Fibaro device related thing at all:
                    I have programmed my Fibaro Plug-In Switch to "Always ON" - so it can not change state. After doing so, I tried to change state by pressing the button on the Fibaro Plug-In Switch, and there is NO rows in the log system indicating even that I tried to do what I just tried to do.

However, from time to time, I still get ghost turn on/off:

So from this it is more logical to say that this is a HomeSeer problem.

At this stage, I am not sure what is happening inside HS3 - the log says one thing - I know for a fact that the device is "Always ON".
                    So question still remains - what is happening and why?
                    Have you tried plugging in a constant load such as a light to see if that stays on? It may be related to how much current is being pulled. Must plugs have an "auto-on with load" feature which might be related to this.

Z

Comment

Fibaro devices are fantastic but a little touchy with their initial config.

Under Vera I had a load of pain, under HomeSeer the problem has mostly been associations - a crapload of them get configured and this causes some very odd side-effects.

My solution has been to delete each association (in reverse order otherwise things go even more whacky - so delete association 5, then 4, then 3, etc) - and then only add the lifeline back. All good after that.

Comment

Originally posted by vasrc View Post
                        Have you tried plugging in a constant load such as a light to see if that stays on? It may be related to how much current is being pulled. Must plugs have an "auto-on with load" feature which might be related to this.

Z

A constant load - only a lamp - will not trigger the issue.
                        I could add a lamp on top of all - but I will still not be able to catch it since I don't spend that much time near my HS3 server.

Also do remember that I currently run "always on" on my device, so I will not get any change on the device - for now it more seems to be ONLY a log row or two... very strange...

Comment

In normal use, what is the approximate load on the Fibaro plug device in watts?
                          How close is the plug to the UPS or other electronic equipment?

I assume that the plug is not actually switching ON/OFF but just reporting that it is in the HS log, correct?

I have seen UPS's cause issues in the past with other electronic equipment. If possible, as a test can you move the Fibaro plug to another outlet (away from electronic equipment) and then use an extension cord (say 3 metres or more) from the plug to the UPS and see if the problem persists.

Paul..

Comment

I came here after being pointed from another thread. There is one thing that I see and I don't see that it has been addressed. Apologies if I missed it.

The log entries in the first post are not Z-Wave commands, they are Z-Wave responses. When a Z-Wave device is controlled by a HomeSeer Event.

The command is:

Jul-12 11:25:52 AM Device Control Device: Lighting Randys Office RO Table Lights to On (255) by/from: CAPI Control Handler

The response is:

Jul-12 11:25:52 AM Z-Wave Device: Lighting Randys Office RO Table Lights Set to 255

I really think the device is being controlled by association or the device is changing states on its own. You can enable "Log send and receive device information to the HomeSeer log" on the Z-Wave configuration page. This might give more detail. Or you can "Enable Detailed Debug logging to file (Do not enable unless instructed by tech support, this will use a lot of disk space)" This generates a lot of logging, so you want to keep an eye on it.
                            Last edited by randy; July 12, 2018, 02:37 PM.
                            HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Originally posted by sooty View Post
                              In normal use, what is the approximate load on the Fibaro plug device in watts?
                              How close is the plug to the UPS or other electronic equipment?

I assume that the plug is not actually switching ON/OFF but just reporting that it is in the HS log, correct?

I have seen UPS's cause issues

1) I would say between 50 and 100 watts, you can follow it here (I just created it so do not expect loads of history...):
                              https://thingspeak.com/channels/537853

2) I'd say 30 cm or so - The next thing is server and router (about 1 meter ABOVE the Fibaro Wall Plug).

3) Can not say for sure since I have never been there, and the off/on switching is within a second or two. No warning sound from the UPS either (and no I have no logging attached to the USB port on the UPS - at least not yet, I might add this later this weekend). Do remember that the Wall Plug is configed as Always On. For example if I press the small button on the Fibaro Wall Plug, no rows are presented in the HS3 logfile.

UPS can interfere? I guess it could, but I did not expected that?

Comment

Working...
                              X