Best Practice for 2 Z-wave radios

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best Practice for 2 Z-wave radios

I have just gotten into my trial period and started to understand how HS3 is working. I have a Z-wave network operational and I like the no-bling design.

For a number of reasons I need to have two separate networks, each with its own radio (Aeon Z-stick). I think I understand how to set this up in the UI, seems straightforward enough.

Where I suspect I may run into problems is with the USB port assignment. I'm running HS3 in a Windows VM on ESXi and Windows has a tendency to flip around the COM port numbers after reboots or hot plugging, particularly when they are passed through from a hypervisor.

During a brief test I made, I pulled out one of the two USB sticks and shut down the VM. After re-inserting the stick I powered on the VM and found that the COM ports had been reassigned. Because the Z-sticks are identical I need to find a way to ensure each Z-stick always is assigned the same COM port.

Any suggestions?

I run two separate Zwave networks on a VM and use 2 ZNets. I would highly recommend that for your setup as the zNets don't require USB passthru.

If you are dead set on sticking with the USB, I would recommend a AnywhereUSB device.
    HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435 (Windows Server 8.1 on ESXi box)

Plug-Ins Enabled:
    Z-Wave:,RaspberryIO:,AirplaySpeak:,Ecobee:,
    weatherXML:,JowiHue:,APCUPSD:,PHLocation:,Chromecast:,EasyTr igger:

Comment

Originally posted by wpiman View Post
      I run two separate Zwave networks on a VM and use 2 ZNets. I would highly recommend that for your setup as the zNets don't require USB passthru.

If you are dead set on sticking with the USB, I would recommend a AnywhereUSB device.

I'm not going to invest in new hardware - I need less, not more . Running out of switch ports.

And I just bought the Z-sticks. No way I'd spend another $300.

Comment

Originally posted by politby View Post
        I'm not going to invest in new hardware - I need less, not more . Running out of switch ports.

And I just bought the Z-sticks. No way I'd spend another $300.
        Do you have a Anywhere USB or equivalent? USB pass through can work-- but it is a bit of a bear...
        HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435 (Windows Server 8.1 on ESXi box)

Plug-Ins Enabled:
        Z-Wave:,RaspberryIO:,AirplaySpeak:,Ecobee:,
        weatherXML:,JowiHue:,APCUPSD:,PHLocation:,Chromecast:,EasyTr igger:

Comment

Working...
        X