Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Thermostats Does Everyone Use with HS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Also following and checking out all the options posted...

We're building at about 8400 feet altitude in Colorado and don't have much need for an AC. We are only installing a radiant floor heat system. If it happens to have AC features but those can be ignored without introducing any weirdness that's fine but something heat-only is preferable. We will have 4-5 heat zones so each will need a unit so we would rather keep the price < $100 each but that seems to fluctuate every time I search.

Also, we don't want to have any hooks to external services (NEST, Google, etc.). Just a thermostat that plays well with HS via z-wave, will have NO access to the internet (except for possible periods for firmware work) and preferably is hardwired vs battery.

Comment

For floor heating Beowolf; I have a couple of Qubino Thermostat thingeys doing discharge air duties. They install in HS as Thermostats with Heating setpoints (No Cool Setpoint). I think floor heating is what they were designed for.

https://www.thesmartesthouse.com/pro...module-zmnhid3

Comment

Old school here with a single serial RCS model TR16 to ElkM1G alarm panel to HS via UltraElk plugin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Beowulf View Post
          Also following and checking out all the options posted...

We're building at about 8400 feet altitude in Colorado and don't have much need for an AC. We are only installing a radiant floor heat system. If it happens to have AC features but those can be ignored without introducing any weirdness that's fine but something heat-only is preferable. We will have 4-5 heat zones so each will need a unit so we would rather keep the price < $100 each but that seems to fluctuate every time I search.

Also, we don't want to have any hooks to external services (NEST, Google, etc.). Just a thermostat that plays well with HS via z-wave, will have NO access to the internet (except for possible periods for firmware work) and preferably is hardwired vs battery.
          We only control heat with ours. We have 8 zones of hydronic heating. I was unable to find any Z-Wave heat only thermostats. I use event logic to force them to be heat or off only.

I chose the GoControl TBZ-48 as I wrote above. They replaced 2Gig CT100 thermostats. I like them because they a) were relatively inexpensive and b) they are reliable. With 8 thermostats a $150 thermostat costs me $1200. A $50 thermostat costs $400. I found GoControl TBZ-48 thermostats on eBay for $50. I use BLStat for scheduling and my own HS logic to manage occupancy, sleep, etc., so I did not need "smart" or schedule programming.
          HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

The StelPro Z-Wave thermostat's that I use are "Heat Only".

Comment

Originally posted by jeubanks View Post
              The StelPro Z-Wave thermostat's that I use are "Heat Only".
              Aren't those line voltage thermostats?
              HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Originally posted by tome10 View Post
                I was told the 5 series did not have Humidity. I thought it was the XL524. I’m not sure about the XR. I did a quick search, and it only does one stage cooling two heat. The 624 is 2x2 with variable blower.
                The 624 sounds like a good one and priced nicely. Looking at the manual it does not specifically notate that it does humidity readings - does it create a HS device for humidity? I do like the idea of the "CIRC" mode for moving air around X minutes per hour. The new system I'm getting is 2 stage cooling. I'm anxious to experience potential cost savings / better performance.

Comment

Originally posted by wpiman View Post
                  I use Ecobees with the third party plugin. They are fantastic...
                  The Ecobee 4 displays weather reports?! This is so cool. I tend to supersize things lately... better go look at the manuals / plugins!

Edit - Rats! Of course its tied to the cloud! Our critical systems should not be talking to the cloud IMHO
                  Last edited by Monk; July 30, 2018, 06:37 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Monk View Post

The 624 sounds like a good one and priced nicely. Looking at the manual it does not specifically notate that it does humidity readings - does it create a HS device for humidity? I do like the idea of the "CIRC" mode for moving air around X minutes per hour. The new system I'm getting is 2 stage cooling. I'm anxious to experience potential cost savings / better performance.
                    Yes, a relative humidity device is created.

Robert
                    HS3PRO 3.0.0.500 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, JowiHue, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dots, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.

Comment

Originally posted by Monk View Post

The Ecobee 4 displays weather reports?! This is so cool. I tend to supersize things lately... better go look at the manuals / plugins!

Edit - Rats! Of course its tied to the cloud! Our critical systems should not be talking to the cloud IMHO
                      Yes. It doesn't rely on the cloud for typical operation, but you load the schedule into the thermostat from the web or the app. It uses local temperature sensors and motion sensors to determine if someone is home.

I believe the plug in does require it to talk to the cloud to change the mode or the temperature.

I have found that EcoBee and my internet in general are far more robust that Homeseer in general.... so it hasn't been an issue for me.
                      HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435 (Windows Server 8.1 on ESXi box)

Plug-Ins Enabled:
                      Z-Wave:,RaspberryIO:,AirplaySpeak:,Ecobee:,
                      weatherXML:,JowiHue:,APCUPSD:,PHLocation:,Chromecast:,EasyTr igger:

Comment

Originally posted by wpiman View Post

Yes. It doesn't rely on the cloud for typical operation, but you load the schedule into the thermostat from the web or the app. It uses local temperature sensors and motion sensors to determine if someone is home.

I believe the plug in does require it to talk to the cloud to change the mode or the temperature.

I have found that EcoBee and my internet in general are far more robust that Homeseer in general.... so it hasn't been an issue for me.
                        Thanks Wpiman - I might take a closer look. Do you know if HS creates devices for it, or did the plug-in have a role there?

Comment

The plugin creates devices for it.

HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435 (Windows Server 8.1 on ESXi box)

Plug-Ins Enabled:
                          Z-Wave:,RaspberryIO:,AirplaySpeak:,Ecobee:,
                          weatherXML:,JowiHue:,APCUPSD:,PHLocation:,Chromecast:,EasyTr igger:

Comment

I got a new Trane 2 stage HVAC installed the other day. It works great with my older Trane (Z-Wave) thermostat - but there isn't a way I can detect whether the second stage cooling is in operation or not. This really isn't critical - more of a nice to have sort of thing. Will spend more time at some point researching this - unless some kind soul knows this off the top of their head. Not necessarily looking for a high-end stat but any reply is welcome.

Thank you.

Comment

Working...
                            X