Video doorbell recomendation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by eufreka View Post
    Laview doorbell cam (blue iris) how to notify Homeseer?

So I have ordered the laview doorbell cam from amazon ($99)...supposedly it works with blue iris, which is a MUST for me.

It is designed to work with existing 24v doorbell wiring, which I *don't* have...

So, I also ordered this 24-volt plugin transformer (works with Ring Doorbell?), which I hope will simplify powering it...hopefully it will work for this device.

HOWEVER, that leaves the question of connecting it to Homeseer: what is the best (and cheapest) relay/drycontact (whatever is appropriate) to wiring into the transformer wiring to doorbell cam that will signal Homeseer that the button was pressed? (MIMOlite? Seems overkill?)

I don't want to bother wiring in an actual electrical chime. I just need the button to tell Homeseer it's been pressed and let Homeseer take actions(flash lights/speak through Echo/send text/etc.).

Does this make any sense? (The cam should arrive today, so I may have more info in a day or two...)

I have had issues with ring so i am looking for options, i would like to try the laview one as i also use blueiris. the blueiris plugin could take care of importing events but will have to experiment with this. will report when i do some testing.

Comment

I am a current Doorbird user too. At the time of purchase it was one of the best ones available, but after 4 years I need something better. The app is horrible and there is an issue with the image (some blur in the middle of the image) that is probably just my device.

Anyway, because of the difficult light situation at my door I really need a doorbell with HDR. Basically only Nest and Eufy supports HDR as far as I could find. And I hate monthly subscriptions, especially on something as trivial as a doorbell. So the Eufy would be perfect... but lacking RTSP so integration in HS4 will most likely never work...

Any suggestions?
      stefxx

Comment

Originally posted by stefxx View Post
        I am a current Doorbird user too. At the time of purchase it was one of the best ones available, but after 4 years I need something better. The app is horrible and there is an issue with the image (some blur in the middle of the image) that is probably just my device.
        I have exactly the same problem with my doorbird! I chalked it up to the fact that my front door faces east and assumed the sun damaged the cmos chip

Click image for larger version  Name:	Doorbird 2020-08-09 02.39.28.520 PM.jpg Views:	0 Size:	57.9 KB ID:	1409927

I currently have my eye on a hikvision modular door station. Integration of the video feed into blue iris and therefore homeseer appears fairly straight forward.
        https://us.hikvision.com/en/products...r-door-station

The downside is that I don't see a way for HS to monitor keypad input; assuming you install a keypad.
        HS4 Pro on Shuttle NC10U, Win10; Z-NET
        Number of Devices: 449
        Number of Events: 210

Plug-Ins: Arduino, BLLock, DirecTv, EasyTrigger, Honeywell WiFi Thermostat, MeiHarmonyHub, PHLocation2, Pushover 3P, UltraM1G3, WeatherXML, Worx Landroid, Z-Wave

External applications: Homebridge-homeseer, Geofency, EgiGeoZone.

Comment

Interesting to see that this is a more common Doorbird problem than I expected...

Thanks for the suggestion on the Hikvision system. Too fancy for me I guess.
          stefxx

Comment

Originally posted by jmaddox View Post

I have exactly the same problem with my doorbird! I chalked it up to the fact that my front door faces east and assumed the sun damaged the cmos chip

I currently have my eye on a hikvision modular door station. Integration of the video feed into blue iris and therefore homeseer appears fairly straight forward.
            https://us.hikvision.com/en/products...r-door-station

The downside is that I don't see a way for HS to monitor keypad input; assuming you install a keypad.
            Any chance the blur is from your visitors pressing the middle of the big fat “doorbell button”?

I hadn’t seen the HIkVision modular system, it is very interesting, but the documentation stinks, unless there is a manual somewhere else. This would be excellent because I need both a drive gate entry panel and a doorbell cam and I could use the same cam module and add the cam & keypad at the gate. But you’re right about no visible means of capturing keypad input and I don’t like #code#, but I suppose I could live with it. I had decided this morning to go with a full DoorBird system, now I’m back in vacillation-ville.

Comment

I had the same thought about people touching the plastic over the camera lense. When I first noticed it I tried to clean it off with no success. I can't see any visible external damage/scratching, which doesn't mean it's not there. It might be more evident if I took it apart and looked through it. When I replace it I might do just that.

The hikvision has 2 outputs for door locks, either NO or NC contacts meant for magnetic locks or electric door strikers. In theory you could monitor those and report them to HS. For my application I'm not sure it's worth installing the keypad module just to give me two keypad entries for HS to use. Personally I found the documentation to be exhausting lol. These units appear to be meant for professional installation, not like that would stop me from doing it myself. But I guarantee if you ask a professional installer about them in Texas in relation to HA you'll get a bewildered look.

The manual I referenced was in the download list after clicking on the video module from the product list page.
              https://us.hikvision.com/en/system/f...pdf?download=1

HS4 Pro on Shuttle NC10U, Win10; Z-NET
              Number of Devices: 449
              Number of Events: 210

Plug-Ins: Arduino, BLLock, DirecTv, EasyTrigger, Honeywell WiFi Thermostat, MeiHarmonyHub, PHLocation2, Pushover 3P, UltraM1G3, WeatherXML, Worx Landroid, Z-Wave

External applications: Homebridge-homeseer, Geofency, EgiGeoZone.

Comment

That gives me an idea. I have a normal doorbell (sorry can change it out, it a bronze stamping of a Golden Retriever that my wife would have my suitcases packed)!

But I do have an overhead Foscam, what we use to see if we have any packages. I can just tie into the bell wire, run it (through an isolator or relay as it's 24VAC I think) to a dry contact on my Ocelot and when someone rings the doorbell I can fire off an event to snap a picture! Good idea!

Comment

Working...
                X