Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Migrating to new HS3 box (Ubuntu 18.04 LTS based)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Migrating to new HS3 box (Ubuntu 18.04 LTS based)

Well, it had to happen sooner or later....

I've had a HomeTroller SEL (Pro) and two Z-Nets running for 2 years. Great hardware and exceptional home automation software combination. However lately, starting about a month or so ago, I had been experiencing minor issues, that led to my system "locking up" twice. (history here --> http://forums.homeseer.com/showthrea...27#post1373927)

Thanks to Pete for helping me out!

So I started researching topics all over this forum in a effort to upgrade my system. Inspired by posts from jeubanks (http://forums.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=195851) and mwolter (http://forums.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=193110) I decided it was easier to start fresh with a new PC and the latest Ubuntu Server OS (18.04.1 LTS) and Mono (5.12.0.301). Then transfer my configuration.

This would allow me to take my time setting up the new system and most importantly keep the house automated with a minimum amount of downtime.

The hardware:

I wanted something similar to the HomeSeer hardware (Gigabyte BRIX). I settled on a Zotac CI327NANO.

Specs here --> http://www.zotac.com/product/mini_pcs/ci327-nano

Now thus far I have installed the OS and Mono. I installed Webmin (good recommendation Pete!) to help with system admin. I chose to use the server install of Ubuntu because I wanted to keep the system "lean and mean" with no excess clutter. With the Webmin GUI, FileZilla and my recently sharpened command line skills, I feel like I have all the tools necessary to maintain the system without all the extra "digital clutter", RAM and CPU overhead a desktop environment will cost me.

The latest version of HS3 (3.0.0.435) is installed and running. Thanks to Alex (ARA) for the great How-To on HS3 startup --> http://forums.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=186864
    I signed up for a 30-day trial of HS3 Pro so I could have both systems running and allow me to cut-over the system in chunks if necessary.

Now the next steps I'm a little confused about. Other than installing HS3, I have not moved any of the files from my old system over yet. Which files do I need to copy over from the old system? I have system generated backups (via TOOLS > Setup > Backup Config) as well as a manual copy of the entire HomeSeer directory from the HomeTroller.

How do I gracefully move the Z-Nets over to the new HomeSeer box? Randy (rprade) mentiond something that I hadn't thought of in this thread --> http://forums.homeseer.com/showthread.php?t=196093
    Since the Z-Nets are IP devices and their configs are onboard (local to each device), there is not any particular config files I need to move from the old system, right?

I'm already anticipating having to redo all my Events from scratch as there appears to be some issue in migrating from Mono 3 (or 4) to Mono 5.
    Also, once I do have my events migrated over, is updating Mono a no-no?

Looking for advice and guidance on how to proceed.
    Attached Files

Good news Al.

Other than installing HS3, I have not moved any of the files from my old system over yet. Which files do I need to copy over from the old system? I have system generated backups (via TOOLS > Setup > Backup Config) as well as a manual copy of the entire HomeSeer directory from the HomeTroller.

All you need is the /HomeSeer directory and no other files.

1 - Shut down Homeseer 3 on your old box.
    2 - make a backup of your new box /HomeSeer directory to say /HomeSeerBU
    3 - Here used Linux file manager to copy the original /usr/local/HomeSeer directory from one computer to another. You can use WinSCP for copying if using windows. Just write over the new directory with your current configuration.
    4 - The Hometroller SEL HS3 is a bit different than the HS3 Pro/standard.
    5 - Once copied over do a manual update of the new HS3. All your configuration files will remain intact and work fine.

How do I gracefully move the Z-Nets over to the new HomeSeer box?

The HomeSeer directory copied over has the Z-Net configuration IP such that it will be a non issue. You just have to make sure that your SEL is disconnected from your ZNET such that you can connect to the ZNet with your new computer.

I'm already anticipating having to redo all my Events from scratch as there appears to be some issue in migrating from Mono 3 (or 4) to Mono 5.
    Also, once I do have my events migrated over, is updating Mono a no-no?

If the mono version is the same on your SEL and your new computer then there will not be any issues with running events from copied over /HomeSeer directory.

If you update your SEL to most current version of Mono or 5.X you may have issues.

Here have always updated and used most current version of Mono and have always DIY'd my Linux builds of HS3 Lite (ZEE2) and HS3 Pro from scratch.

IE:
    1 - create a base box with current Linux OS
    2 - install mono complete (and mono-VBNC)
    3 - installed flite (for speech)
    4 - copied over /HomeSeer directory
    5 - configured added 3rd party software like Webmin
    6 - configured auto start of Homeseer
    7 - reboot.
    - Pete

Auto mator
    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
    Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
    HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
    HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Htop can be very usefull too.

Just ‘’apt install htop’ in command

Then write ‘’htop’’ after installation

Comment

Originally posted by Pete View Post
        4 - The Hometroller SEL HS3 is a bit different than the HS3 Pro/standard.
        The Hometroller SEL was purchased with the PRO license. So, I hope there would be no difference if I just overwrite the HomeSeer directory.

The HomeSeer directory copied over has the Z-Net configuration IP such that it will be a non issue. You just have to make sure that your SEL is disconnected from your ZNET such that you can connect to the ZNet with your new computer.
        Makes sense that any interface could only be connected to 1 controller at a time.

If the mono version is the same on your SEL and your new computer then there will not be any issues with running events from copied over /HomeSeer directory.

If you update your SEL to most current version of Mono or 5.X you may have issues.
        Here have always updated and used most current version of Mono and have always DIY'd my Linux builds of HS3 Lite (ZEE2) and HS3 Pro from scratch.
        IE:
        1 - create a base box with current Linux OS
        2 - install mono complete (and mono-VBNC)
        3 - installed flite (for speech)
        4 - copied over /HomeSeer directory
        5 - configured added 3rd party software like Webmin
        6 - configured auto start of Homeseer
        7 - reboot.

Comment

Yup, installed htop as well. Thanks.
          Last edited by Al_M; July 26, 2018, 09:59 PM.

Comment

Noticed yesterday in the installation of LUbuntu that HTop was included with that build.

Depending on the version of Mono on the SEL and using most current version on your new box it probably will cause you issues.

What version of Mono is installed on the SEL?

This is where you may have an issue.

Best maybe to take screen shots of your events / triggers from the SEL.
            - Pete

Auto mator
            Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
            Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Noticed yesterday in the installation of LUbuntu that HTop was included with that build.
              You’re right. I noticed that it’s on the plain server edition by default as well.

Depending on the version of Mono on the SEL and using most current version on your new box it probably will cause you issues.

What version of Mono is installed on the SEL?
              I have 3.2.8 on the SEL. I believe that’s how it shipped in 2016 when I bought it since it’s never been updated.

This is where you may have an issue.

Best maybe to take screen shots of your events / triggers from the SEL.
              This is why I thought I would have to redo all the events from scratch. (No import). I installed Jon00’s Event Viewer utility on the SEL to facilitate documenting all my events. Then I plan to or print to pdf or screenshots and re-enter them all by hand on the new HS3 server.

That being said, which files should I avoid importing so I don’t get corrupted events? IE which files contain the events? Is it the HomeSeerData.hsd files located in the usr/local/HomeSeer/Data directory? Or is it ok to import the events and then edit them via the web interface? I have 77 events, so it shouldn’t be too bad. A couple hours probably.

Comment

I have been thinking about making the switch from Windows to Linux. Interested in this thread.

I have my windows machine and my linux instances all virtualized-- so that should make life easier for me.

How does the issue of licensing work? If I simply copy over the Homeseer folder: does that take care of it? I imagine I will want to have sort of a "working" version of Linux and then keep the windows around until I get a stable version running on Linux.

I probably only want one version running at a time anyways...
                HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435 (Windows Server 8.1 on ESXi box)

Plug-Ins Enabled:
                Z-Wave:,RaspberryIO:,AirplaySpeak:,Ecobee:,
                weatherXML:,JowiHue:,APCUPSD:,PHLocation:,Chromecast:,EasyTr igger:

Comment

The events /triggers dop not get corrupted. Pieces just disappear.

There is a Homeseer user in the UK that did similiar to you around the end of 2017. Rather he got a second SEL updated it with max memory and another SSD drive and newest Ubuntu then transferred his old Homeseer build to the new SEL build.

That being said, which files should I avoid importing so I don’t get corrupted events? IE which files contain the events? Is it the HomeSeerData.hsd files located in the usr/local/HomeSeer/Data directory? Or is it ok to import the events and then edit them via the web interface? I have 77 events, so it shouldn’t be too bad. A couple hours probably.

It is the Homeseer database that you mention. It doesn't get corrupted rather it isn't read right by newest Mono.

If you make copies of it you can try to import it just the setup / tools / lab's tab.

Start by keeping an original copy of the old SEL directory on your new computer. Then try to import the DBs from that directory to the new Homeseer directory. Go slow with a copy of the original directory you will not lose your stuff.
                  - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

How does the issue of licensing work? If I simply copy over the Homeseer folder: does that take care of it? I imagine I will want to have sort of a "working" version of Linux and then keep the windows around until I get a stable version running on Linux.

No issues with licensing if you copy the directory. There is one user here who migrated from Windows to Linux a couple of months ago.

Here shut down the Pine64 64 bit HS3 Homeseer leaving the computer running and switched over to a temporary Shuttle Netop running Ubuntu 18.04. If I had not done that then the new computer would not have been able to connect to the ZNet like device here. I put LUbuntu on the Netop. Firefox runs really slow on it. Rest of the stuff works fine if I connect remotely to the the device. So for me I just run it head less. Only issue here is that I do not see a Pine64 2Gb (or Rock64) version of Ubuntu 18.04.

The Arm (quad core) Pine64 with 2Gb of RAM does run much faster than the Shuttle Netop Atom D510 with 2Gb computer. The Intel D470 / D510 / D525 were built to last and today here only do simple stuff. IE: carPC's are running with these computers (embedded Wintel - Kodi).

Here also built a new desktop (32Gb of RAM) with dual booting to Ubuntu 18.04 and Windows 10. So far been mostly using Ubuntu 18.04. I have done similiar now with three floating laptops here except one is dual booting to Windows 7 Pro.

Note here this involves tinkering with hardware more than a need to upgrade Homeseer 3. Newest generation of CPUs are very light and fast powerwise and now utilize DDR4 memory.
                    Last edited by Pete; July 27, 2018, 06:47 AM.
                    - Pete

Auto mator

Comment

How do I gracefully move the Z-Nets over to the new HomeSeer box?

Do you think that disabling the SEL Z-Wave plug-in is sufficient to "disconnect" the Z-Net.
                      As long as I make sure that the Z-Wave plugin is enabled in ONLY ONE of the controllers, I can switch back and forth for troubleshooting, right?

Comment

Do you think that disabling the SEL Z-Wave plug-in is sufficient to "disconnect" the Z-Net.

Yes.

I did that last night shifting over from my back up HS3 computer to the new OS updated old HS3 computer.

As long as I make sure that the Z-Wave plugin is enabled in ONLY ONE of the controllers, I can switch back and forth for troubleshooting, right?

Yes.

The plugin / controller is only a one to one thing.

Try it. You will not break anything.

Leave it connected to one box and try to enable the second box ZWave controller plugin. It will not connect.

I can switch back and forth for troubleshooting, right?

Yes I have done this a few times with no issues.

Thing you will not see is if you add a trigger / event to one box; you will not automagically see it on the other box.

The ZWave node is what is stored on the controller so if you add a node with one computer and switch the other computer will see the new ZWave node.

- Pete

Auto mator

Comment

I have the new box up and running!
                          Current Date/Time: 8/9/2018 2:51:38 PM
                          HomeSeer Version: HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435
                          Linux version: Linux hometrollerPRO 4.15.0-29-generic #31-Ubuntu SMP Tue Jul 17 15:39:52 UTC 2018 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux System Uptime: 6 Days 22 Hours 2 Minutes 16 Seconds
                          IP Address: 10.0.1.20
                          Number of Devices: 319
                          Number of Events: 72
                          Available Threads: 396
                          HSTouch Enabled: True
                          Event Threads: 0
                          Event Trigger Eval Queue: 0
                          Event Trigger Priority Eval Queue: 0
                          Device Exec Queue: 0
                          HSTouch Event Queue: 0
                          Email Send Queue: 0
                          Anti Virus Installed:

Enabled Plug-Ins
                          1.3.3.0: Device History
                          3.0.0.48: EasyTrigger
                          3.0.6.2: SDJ-Health
                          3.0.1.190: Z-Wave

Click image for larger version

Name:	Webmin.PNG
Views:	326
Size:	169.7 KB
ID:	1239128
                          It's been several days, and all seems well. except for a few minor issues:
                          1. As I had expected, .aspx pages from Jon00 Event Viewer and Jon00 Event List tools do not compile. Not a big deal as I don't rely on those tools very much, but the Event Viewer was very helpful in rebuilding my events from the SEL. Hopefully this will be fixed with an update in Mono or from Jon00...
                          2. When attempting to reboot the computer via TOOLS > System > Restart System, HS3 appears to shutdown (monitoring via HTOP) but the machine does not reboot. I have to SSH into the computer and issue a restart command via the command line or use Webmin.
                          If anyone has any idea how I can get the System Restart link to work, I would appreciate it. Although I do have alternate methods, it's just so much quicker and easier through the HS3 Web UI.

Comment

Working...
                          X