Moving to a new PC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving to a new PC

Hi folks. I know this has been covered before but I have a more specific question regarding moving HS3 to a new PC.
    The main question is I'm moving from a 32bit to a 64 bit PC so I believe just copying the directory over would not work in my situation.
    I believe I have to start with a fresh install so if that's the case what sequence would you all take?

I think I can start with the install then add all the plugins from the updater then restore a fresh backup but am I missing anything?
    Will that bring everything over?

Sorry guys...just want to make sure before I start. TIA
    HSPro on a Supermicro Atom|Z-Net
    Elo touchscreen client, Android Phones and Tablets, Xbox One
    Global Cach/Ultra-GCIR | Etherrain | Jon00 | Sonos | Blue Iris | URC Whole Home Remotes | Philips Hue | Nest | Grandstream | Leviton | Aeon Labs | Cooper | Kwikset | Evolve | Envisalink/DSC | Amazon Alexa/IFTT

My lesson learned was to make sure that current pc has the same version as the fresh install. For some reason my pc was on version behind from what was available for download. At first I had a lot of problems, after upgrading, migration was completely painless. It was so easy I would just try it if I were you.

Comment

Ok sounds good...tks.
      I'll start getting things ready for swap this week.
      Global Cach/Ultra-GCIR | Etherrain | Jon00 | Sonos | Blue Iris | URC Whole Home Remotes | Philips Hue | Nest | Grandstream | Leviton | Aeon Labs | Cooper | Kwikset | Evolve | Envisalink/DSC | Amazon Alexa/IFTT

Comment

I did this move about 2 years ago. To add, you will have to modify any scripts that you have to the new path of the install -
        C:\Program Files (x86)\HomeSeer HS3\scripts from C:\Program Files\HomeSeer HS3\scripts.

Robert
        HS3PRO 3.0.0.500 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, JowiHue, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dots, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.

Comment

Yes good point

Comment

Mario23

Curious what PC you are upgrading to? CPU / RAM / SSD? and OS?
            - Pete

Auto mator
            Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.534 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU - Mono 6.4X
            Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.534 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro - Mono 6.4X

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation.

Comment

My current PC is a SuperMicro Atom PC with 4g ram and a 320g solid state drive running Win7.
              For some reason I can't keep this PC from hibernating after power outages lately and I can't find the problem.
              If I can't fix it I was thinking of moving HS over to my Blue Iris compute which is an I5 processor with 8g ram and dual hard drives running Win10.
              At least that PC starts back up every time.
              I've always had the bios set up to restart after power restore but for the last couple of months, the Atom PC just hibernates instead even though all sleep and hibernate functions are set to never.

Comment

SuperMicro builds a nice computer motherboard.

Guessing you have looked to upgrade the BIOS and pulled the battery resetting the OLD bios before trying new one. Way back tested the Shuttle D525 net top computer for running HS2. I recall having to get a beta bios never released at the time to do the power on computer on thing. Switched endeavor over to using a Foxconn D525 with a pico PSU on it. Think a number of users posted pics and builds back then. W7 32 bit. Looking at Rob's Foxcon D525 motherboard which just recently abended. Looks like a couple of the electrolytic caps are starting to bulge. Boots to bios then a few minutes later just shuts down. I have replaced one electrolytic cap but it's still doing this.

Here utilize a mini lite version of Windows2003 server on the Foxconn D525 computer . Still running today.

Here MythTV (using HDHomerun), Squeezebox server and Zoneminder are all running on Intel 64bit Linux. PFSense and NAS4Free are running BSD these days.

Here switched to using Ubuntu Linux 64bit on the two Homeseer 3 computers.

HS3 Pro running on a 4th generation iSeries 3 with 16Gb of memory....started with Ubuntu 14.04 (64bit) then Ubuntu 16.04(64bit) and currently running Ubuntu 18.04(64bit) on a 120Gb M.2 SATA drive on the Asus motherboard.

HS3 Lite started on a RPi (original Zee) then went to the RPi2 / Jessie and currently running it on a Pine64 (ARM) 2Gb computer and Ubuntu 18.04 64 bit today. Still using a microSD card on it (went from 8Gb to 16Gb to 32Gb (too big anyhow).
                - Pete

Auto mator
                Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.534 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU - Mono 6.4X
                Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.534 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro - Mono 6.4X

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation.

Comment

Yeah I've looked at the bios and also noticing some kernel errors in the event log. I think this pc is slowly dying honestly.
                  Don't forget I had a nasty lightning incident here last year. This pc was acting up initally after that then settled down.
                  I don't wanna give up on it but I'm not sure what else I can do. Only thing I haven't done is pull the battery like you mentioned.

Comment

Originally posted by Mario23 View Post
                    Yeah I've looked at the bios and also noticing some kernel errors in the event log. I think this pc is slowly dying honestly.
                    Don't forget I had a nasty lightning incident here last year. This pc was acting up initally after that then settled down.
                    I don't wanna give up on it but I'm not sure what else I can do. Only thing I haven't done is pull the battery like you mentioned.
                    If the server is not starting back up after a power failure make sure the BIOS is updated. Then go into the BIOS change the power fail state to Off, save it then change it back to Power On and save it.

If it is a problem where the O/S is hibernating after restarting the MS powercfg application may help you figure it out. At a command prompt type powercfg /? to see the options. I have dealt extensively with SuperMicro servers for the last decade. I have 4 of them in the basement, one of which runs HomeSeer. If you can explain exactly what happens when you start the server up after a power failure it might ring a bell for me. If you can give the board number, I can point you to the current BIOS.

If it is an older server it probably is an X8 or X9 based motherboard. It likely will be on this list.
                    Randy Prade
                    Aurora, CO
                    Prades.net

PHLocation - Pushover - EasyTrigger - UltraECM3 - Ultra1Wire3 - Arduino

Comment

The board is x7spa-hf.
                      I found the updated bios...just reading it over now to figure out how to update.
                      Just to clarify...for some reason this pc is going into hibernation mode during power failures even though its on a UPS.
                      The other pc's behave correctly during the outages on the same UPS. This behavior just started a couple of months ago. So this seems to be happening even if the pc's don't actually lose power during the outage as if a voltage variance is causing it. When I push the power button it wakes back up and reloads HS. Because of the UPS, the computers never actually power down during these incidents. Tks

Comment

The board is x7spa-hf.
                        I found the updated bios...just reading it over now to figure out how to update.
                        Just to clarify...for some reason this pc is going into hibernation mode during power failures even though its on a UPS.
                        The other pc's behave correctly during the outages on the same UPS. This behavior just started a couple of months ago. So this seems to be happening even if the pc's don't actually lose power during the outage as if a voltage variance is causing it. When I push the power button it wakes back up and reloads HS. Because of the UPS, the computers never actually power down during these incidents. Tks
                        That is odd. The computer usually cannot detect power supply variations. If your UPS is attached to your HS server with a USB cable, Windows may put it to sleep because it is shown as on batteries when the power is interrupted. You can check this in power settings in the Control Panel. If there is a separate set of settings for "On Battery". Also a UPS monitoring program on the server can do the same thing.

Randy Prade
                        Aurora, CO
                        Prades.net

Comment

I know...weird. No usb connection or UPS software on that PC. No management there at all. I can't figure it out other than the possibility of some damage from that lightning strike incident I had last year. I'll update the bios once I figure it out then keep testing. Like your avatar by the way

Comment

Like your avatar by the way
                            That's Riley, the Border Terrier when he was but a pup. He's now 2-1/2.

Randy Prade
                            Aurora, CO
                            Prades.net

Comment

Working...
                            X