Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone running Blue Iris and HS3 on the same machine?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone running Blue Iris and HS3 on the same machine?

At the beginning, I had HS3 installed on the same BI server but I decided to get a dedicated low power PC for HS3. Now that I think of it, Having it on one Machine wouldn't have hurt anything. I still got plently of juice left on the I7 -6700 and 32GB of ram.

Was wondering anyone else combined it on one system? I'm thinking about bringing it back to the same BI server since it's more stable. The chinese Beelink PC I got randomly shutdown every week.

As long as you have enough CPU/Mem and IO (Disk speed) then you shouldn't have a problem.

Comment

I run both on mine. I run an i7-6700k with 16GB of ram and a 3ware raid card. Note that I actually run the dedicated blue iris drive off one of the MB sata ports instead of the 3ware card (which holds all my media).

I have not noticed any issue, however, I also use this server as a PLEX server. I would think twice about running PLEX and Blue Iris on the same machine, but either with HS3 is just fine. (PLEX and BI really ok together, but I've started with 4k and that kills the 6700k when transcoding or optimizing files)

Comment

Originally posted by sirmeili View Post
        I run both on mine. I run an i7-6700k with 16GB of ram and a 3ware raid card. Note that I actually run the dedicated blue iris drive off one of the MB sata ports instead of the 3ware card (which holds all my media).

I have not noticed any issue, however, I also use this server as a PLEX server. I would think twice about running PLEX and Blue Iris on the same machine, but either with HS3 is just fine. (PLEX and BI really ok together, but I've started with 4k and that kills the 6700k when transcoding or optimizing files)
        I don't know how many cameras you have but running Plex and BI together? Even with 32Gb of ram, my system is using 40% of my memory resource. CPU not so much idle around averaging 9-10% and peak at 35-45%

I too have a dedicated 4Tb for BI, my OS and everything else run on a 256 SSD. Didn't do with a Raid but have Acronis taking an image nightly to the NAS.

My plex server is on a ReadyNAS 4200 but I hardly use Plex anymore these days, it's just kind of there.

Comment

Originally posted by dannieboiz View Post

I don't know how many cameras you have but running Plex and BI together? Even with 32Gb of ram, my system is using 40% of my memory resource. CPU not so much idle around averaging 9-10% and peak at 35-45%

I too have a dedicated 4Tb for BI, my OS and everything else run on a 256 SSD. Didn't do with a Raid but have Acronis taking an image nightly to the NAS.

My plex server is on a ReadyNAS 4200 but I hardly use Plex anymore these days, it's just kind of there.
          I have 16GB of ram, but ram is ram......if I'm using 90% I still have RAM free, it's not a big deal. There is no reason to be afraid of high ram usage. Now, if you're hitting the page file a lot, yeah, be concerned, but 40% of 32GB isn't bad. I happen to also idle at 40%, but that didn't change much when I added BI if I remember correctly. I only use 1 camera, but unless I'm viewing it I have very little resources used up by it. I just have it writing directly to disk. i don't trigger motion off it or anything.

Comment

I have 16GB of ram, but ram is ram......if I'm using 90% I still have RAM free, it's not a big deal. There is no reason to be afraid of high ram usage. Now, if you're hitting the page file a lot, yeah, be concerned, but 40% of 32GB isn't bad. I happen to also idle at 40%, but that didn't change much when I added BI if I remember correctly. I only use 1 camera, but unless I'm viewing it I have very little resources used up by it. I just have it writing directly to disk. i don't trigger motion off it or anything.
            Yah does seem strange to me on the RAM and BI, when I had 12Gb at one pointI remember running at 40%, with 32Gb now I'm still at 40%. I have 11 cameras mostly at 10FPS and 3 cameras in front of the house that runs at 20 FPS.

Just put HS3 back on this computer. It's also my daily driver that I work out of. Nothing intensive, a lot of browsing and a VDI session to the company. No changes in resource usage as far as I can see.

So if I shut down the old HS3 computer and keep it there in case this one die and not touch the HS3 installation, if this one fail down the road, I should be able to fire the other one up, perform an update and move the USB stick over and I should be back in business? No licensing issues there?

Comment

Originally posted by dannieboiz View Post

Yah does seem strange to me on the RAM and BI, when I had 12Gb at one pointI remember running at 40%, with 32Gb now I'm still at 40%. I have 11 cameras mostly at 10FPS and 3 cameras in front of the house that runs at 20 FPS.

Just put HS3 back on this computer. It's also my daily driver that I work out of. Nothing intensive, a lot of browsing and a VDI session to the company. No changes in resource usage as far as I can see.

So if I shut down the old HS3 computer and keep it there in case this one die and not touch the HS3 installation, if this one fail down the road, I should be able to fire the other one up, perform an update and move the USB stick over and I should be back in business? No licensing issues there?
              No licensing issues as long as you run only 1 at a time. Just make sure you keep backups of your production HS3. use BLBackup and back it up somewhere on your network or offsite. That means you can jsut copy the HS3 directory on your back up and be up and running fast.

Comment

No licensing issues as long as you run only 1 at a time. Just make sure you keep backups of your production HS3. use BLBackup and back it up somewhere on your network or offsite. That means you can jsut copy the HS3 directory on your back up and be up and running fast.
                Copy that...

Comment

Early this year I migrated 3 machines (and a small NAS) into one i7-8700K 32Gig RAM, 40+ TB storage (running DrivePool) Windows 10 machine.

Blue Iris (5 Cameras, DTD), HS3, Plex, SageTV, Recording up to 12 shows, with MCE Buddy (using Comskip Donor Version) simultaneously cutting commercials from 5 recordings.

The only problem I've run into is my network. My 1Ghz network is saturated with Plex in use. The machine 'idles' around ~ 10%.

I know I'm pushing the limits of reliability but I think I've been able to get away with this because I'm using separate SSD's for all critical systems. (Plex,BI,SageTV, OS)

I have been extremely happy with the results, and the best part about it, I'm only using ~35 more watts.

Click image for larger version

Name:	P_20180814_194601_p.jpg
Views:	580
Size:	86.8 KB
ID:	1241264

Name:	P_20180814_194723.jpg
Views:	574
Size:	111.4 KB
ID:	1241261

Name:	2018-08-14_20-13-09.png
Views:	566
Size:	364.6 KB
ID:	1241262

Name:	2018-08-14_20-15-25.png
Views:	582
Size:	390.7 KB
ID:	1241263

Attached Files
                  RJ_Make On YouTube

Comment

sirmeili That's pretty impressive but I'm a big believer of not putting all my eggs in one baskets, hence I tend to run each component separately.
                    This way, if I have a hardware failure:

1. I'll have another system ready to go
                    2. if one system fail or if a software glitch out, it doesn't affect the other. I can do whatever it takes to restore it quickly at any cost even if it means imaging the whole thing over.

It's just a habbit I got used to from working in a mission critical environment. I have a backup of a backup of a backup of almost everything. I even have systems that are mirror image of each other that are only separated by A/B switch and one system will probably never touch production if the primary never fail during it's life cycle. If I can do that with HS, I will most likely do the same.

BI and HS only cost me 65w to run at this point so I'm quite ok.

Moving over this way isn't too bad, The old PC will sit exactly where it is. If anything happens, I just have to move the USB stick, restore from backup and back in business in less than 15 minutes.

Comment

I used to run HS3, Plex, JRiver, SqueezeServer and BI all on one Dual 8 Core Xeon with 64gB RAM, 110TB Disk (aka Beast)...but I started pegging CPU. I BI off to new system, Dual 16 Core Xeons, and 256GB RAM (aka Bride of Beast) . 132 TB Disk. Now both systems run around 20-30% CPU. all the time. It all depends on how many cameras, resolution, frameraite, speed of disk, features/triggers and complexity of your HS environment.
                      My home is smarter than your honor roll student.

Comment

Looking for advice:
                        Was planning on getting a dedicated hometroller, but lo and behold my NVR just died (not just the HD), 2nd one in 5 years, not sure why.
                        So now I'm thinking maybe the best move is to get a PC and run both off of them (I'd also need to add a switch with POE ports for the cameras). I have 6 1080p cameras. Rarely record, though I do take triggered snapshots a few times a day. I assume best course would be to get a WD purple dedicated for the Blue Iris?
                        What's a sufficient chip/memory for me to run this. Are there low power PC's as this would be running 24/7?

Thanks for the advice

Comment

Originally posted by oscarnyc View Post
                          Looking for advice:
                          Was planning on getting a dedicated hometroller, but lo and behold my NVR just died (not just the HD), 2nd one in 5 years, not sure why.
                          So now I'm thinking maybe the best move is to get a PC and run both off of them (I'd also need to add a switch with POE ports for the cameras). I have 6 1080p cameras. Rarely record, though I do take triggered snapshots a few times a day. I assume best course would be to get a WD purple dedicated for the Blue Iris?
                          What's a sufficient chip/memory for me to run this. Are there low power PC's as this would be running 24/7?

Thanks for the advice
                          read this

https://ipcamtalk.com/wiki/choosing-...for-blue-iris/

anything you pick on there will run your amount of cameras with Homeseer with room to spare.

Comment

Thank you. As it turns out, after much trouble shooting I figured out what happened to the NVR. I was setting up some new A/V equipment, including a receiver. I had finally got to the point where the NVR was more or less working with direct connections. When I went to see what was going on with the network status, lo and behold the IP address led me straight to the new receiver! Changed the address of the NVR and updated my apps and bookmarks and now everything (fingers crossed) is more or less working (still takes a very long to show up on the TV when I switch the receiver inputs to the NVR).
                            To add insult to injury, I still had the previous NVR b/c I convinced it was fixable. For some reason this time I was able to get it up and running. Now as it turns out I added cameras to the system so needed the newer NVR which has 8 channels instead of 4, but it's a little annoying. Hopefully it can find a nice home on eBay!

Comment

Just a follow up on my post in this thread. The only problem I've run into is with the LAN bandwidth. I had to purchase a managed switch and 4 port NIC card. Trunked 3 CAT6 lines to the server and now I have plenty of bandwidth.

No more Plex stuttering with 2 high bit video's streaming.

I'm so glad I consolidated all my machines. As Kramer would say "I'mmmmm Lovin It"... :-)
                              RJ_Make On YouTube

Comment

Working...
                              X