Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Way to check if remote HS system is up and running??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Way to check if remote HS system is up and running??

Hello,

Does anyone know of a good way to remotely monitor if HomeSeer is up and running? I have HomeSeer installed at the cottage and we have been having some internet issues there lately. Every few days or so internet goes down for about and few hour and comes back. It would be nice to know if the internet was down. No one would be at the cottage to locally be notified of the event.

I tried using an online hosted service called uptimerobot.com to monitor the "https://myhs.homeseer.com" URL, but it returns 200 even if HS is not running, I assume this is because its checking the HomeSeer server and not the actual endpoint. I have tried opening some ports on my router and monitor them, however my ISP is blocking them...

Thanks for the help

Originally posted by adamg View Post
    Hello,

Does anyone know of a good way to remotely monitor if HomeSeer is up and running? I have HomeSeer installed at the cottage and we have been having some internet issues there lately. Every few days or so internet goes down for about and few hour and comes back. It would be nice to know if the internet was down. No one would be at the cottage to locally be notified of the event.

I tried using an online hosted service called uptimerobot.com to monitor the "https://myhs.homeseer.com" URL, but it returns 200 even if HS is not running, I assume this is because its checking the HomeSeer server and not the actual endpoint. I have tried opening some ports on my router and monitor them, however my ISP is blocking them...

Thanks for the help
    I'd be tempted to have a recurring event in HS that ran a very small script (and this event is on your remote HS PC) to call into your local HS PC and just update a device with something like the date/time (assuming you have MyHS running on your local PC). You can then set an event to run if the local HS device has not updated in x days/hours and then send out a warning that it has potentially failed. That could work as a very basic system of monitoring.

My Plugins:

Pushover 3P | DoorBird 3P | Current Cost 3P | Velleman K8055 3P | LAMetric 3P | Garadget 3P | Hive 3P |
    Yeelight 3P | Nanoleaf 3P

Comment

Thanks, that is a good idea. Something to try on a rainy day.

Sorry, I forgot to mention my current setup. I currently use a HS script to publish a MQTT packet to online IoT server (Losant) every 5 minutes. The Losant workflow adds a value to the integer heartbeat and sends it back as an echo. In Losnat, I can trigger an SMS the MQTT connection has not been active for 15 minutes. In theory, this should work well, however this requires MQTT bridging with Mosquito, which has hard time recovering from a connection failure.

My local machine is not HomeSeer (it is HomeAssistant) but it must be possible to write some sort of curl for this.

I'll report my findings.

Thanks

Comment

I do something similar. I have a VPN between the ubiquiti routers at home and at the beach house. The Znet down there will occasionally loose connectivity. It shows up in the HS log.
        HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435 (Windows Server 8.1 on ESXi box)

Plug-Ins Enabled:
        Z-Wave:,RaspberryIO:,AirplaySpeak:,Ecobee:,
        weatherXML:,JowiHue:,APCUPSD:,PHLocation:,Chromecast:,EasyTr igger:

Comment

Working...
        X