HS3 crashing constantly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HS3 crashing constantly

For the first time since having HS, my system has been crashing a few times a day. I'm running the latest HS3 release. Logs is broken in this version, it would start to log during first bootup and then eventually stop so I have no way to see what's goin on.

I start HS3 with Windows, the task scheduler shows that the task is stop, all I do is restart it or the PC and it runs as normal then sometime later it stop again. I have not made changes to this task and I've verifid that all the variables are set properly to NOT stop the task if it continue to run and I've made sure that any setting that could prevent the task from running is disabled.

What version of windows? Bare metal or VM?
    HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435 (Windows Server 8.1 on ESXi box)

Plug-Ins Enabled:
    Z-Wave:,RaspberryIO:,AirplaySpeak:,Ecobee:,
    weatherXML:,JowiHue:,APCUPSD:,PHLocation:,Chromecast:,EasyTr igger:

Comment

Running on a Win 10 machine not VM
      HS3 Standard Edition 3.0.0.460 (Windows)
      HomeSeer: Is Registered
      Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro - Work Station
      OS Version: 10.0.17134 Service Pack: 0.0

Comment

.460 is a beta. Have you tried reverting to .435?
        Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
        HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF, Rain8Net+ | RFXCOM | QSE100D | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | X10: XTB-232, -IIR | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3

Comment

Tried to downgrade but it says I have a newer version. I searched the forum and there doesn't seem to be an easy way to downgrade... any advise?

Comment

Do you have a backup copy of your HS files using .435? If so, shut down HS and copy the backed up files over your current directory. (Make a backup copy of the current files first, of course.)
            You did follow the instructions here, right?
            Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
            HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF, Rain8Net+ | RFXCOM | QSE100D | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | X10: XTB-232, -IIR | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3

Comment

Yah... I do have a backup of a previous version. However, I made quite a few changes and addition since upgrading. Wouldn't reverting back will cause me to lose everything I did?

Comment

You can back up your current installation, then restore from your older backup. Take the database file from your current system backup and replace the one you restored from the old backup. The database contains all devices and Events. If you have added or changed any scripts or plug-ins those would have to be handled separately.
                Randy Prade
                Aurora, CO
                Prades.net

PHLocation - Pushover - EasyTrigger - UltraECM3 - Ultra1Wire3 - Arduino

Comment

Originally posted by rprade View Post
                  You can back up your current installation, then restore from your older backup. Take the database file from your current system backup and replace the one you restored from the old backup. The database contains all devices and Events. If you have added or changed any scripts or plug-ins those would have to be handled separately.
                  This is good to know.... I have a spare (the old PC) that HS3 was on with the old version in tact. I can easily power it back up grab the old HS3 folder and dump it onto the production PC.

Which folder do I wanna backup for the database before restoring it to the previous version?

Comment

HomeSeer HS3/data

I would go ahead and backup the entire HS folder structure to be safe
                    Randy Prade
                    Aurora, CO
                    Prades.net

Comment

thanks.... I will tackle this tomorrow.

Comment

I will add that .460 ran perfectly for me, I updated to .470 and it was fine as well. Now running .473 for a few days and it is also running well. I haven’t had a crash since 2015. I had some high CPU usage issues in 2017 caused by the Z-Wave plug-in.
                        Randy Prade
                        Aurora, CO
                        Prades.net

Comment

Originally posted by rprade View Post
                          I will add that .460 ran perfectly for me, I updated to .470 and it was fine as well. Now running .473 for a few days and it is also running well. I haven’t had a crash since 2015. I had some high CPU usage issues in 2017 caused by the Z-Wave plug-in.
                          was logging working for you on .460? Another user reported the same logging issue as mine with no solution.

HS crashed 3 times in a day while we were out of town. Fortunately, I have access to the PC remotely to restart things.

This is the first time ever I've had a crash with HS3. Maybe instead of going backward, I should upgrade, it can't hurt anymore than it already does. Worse case, I go back to my old version.

Comment

Have you checked the event viewer to see if there are any clues on what may be causing the crashes?
                            -Rupp
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by dannieboiz View Post

was logging working for you on .460? Another user reported the same logging issue as mine with no solution.

HS crashed 3 times in a day while we were out of town. Fortunately, I have access to the PC remotely to restart things.

This is the first time ever I've had a crash with HS3. Maybe instead of going backward, I should upgrade, it can't hurt anymore than it already does. Worse case, I go back to my old version.
                              No logging issues for years. The only issues I ever had with logging were both due to unexpected server shutdowns - once in 2015 due to gardware failure and once last year due to a UPS failure.
                              Randy Prade
                              Aurora, CO
                              Prades.net

Comment

Working...
                              X