Two Primary Controllers - Messages in the wrong window

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Two Primary Controllers - Messages in the wrong window

I have two primary z-nets and there are some confusing problems. When using Z-tool+ and trying to include a device, the text also shows up in the controller management tab but probably under the wrong z-net. It is significantly more annoying when trying to exclude a device.

Also, when backing up, although one is called laundry and the other office, I get the first name into the second controller. I had to reduce the text size in order to get it all into one screen but it's there.

I'm not sure if this is an indicator of some corrupt file, though it appears to be an HS3 issue as opposed to one or both of the z-nets. Anyone ever seen something like this?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 09-10-18 at 07.59 PM.PNG
Views:	116
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	1246718
    Attached Files

Why do you have 2 z-net's setup as primary?

Comment

I preferred to leave all of mine as primary rather than primary and inclusion controllers. I really didn't see any advantage to keeping all of the controllers on the same HomeID. I would be interested in hearing the advantages. With primary and inclusion controllers, the devices still have to be mapped to one of the controllers. There were also some problems early on with adding secondary controllers that may have been resolved by now.
      HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Originally posted by racerfern View Post
        I have two primary z-nets and there are some confusing problems. When using Z-tool+ and trying to include a device, the text also shows up in the controller management tab but probably under the wrong z-net. It is significantly more annoying when trying to exclude a device.

Also, when backing up, although one is called laundry and the other office, I get the first name into the second controller. I had to reduce the text size in order to get it all into one screen but it's there.

I'm not sure if this is an indicator of some corrupt file, though it appears to be an HS3 issue as opposed to one or both of the z-nets. Anyone ever seen something like this?
        It is not a problem with your system, it does it here as well. If I am doing anything with Z-Tool+, it seems to show the dialog in the window of the first controller listed. I only looked after you mentioned it. I have never opened the controller management page when using Z-Tool+. I still had to open the controller in the management page before I saw the dialog.

Not to be a smart a-- but the easiest way to avoid confusion is to not look at the computer when you are using Z-Tool+. Z-tool+ always does what you tell it to and tells you what it is doing, there is no need to go to the interface management web page. I haven't included or excluded at the management page since Z-Tool+ was released.

Comment

Originally posted by rprade View Post
          ...but the easiest way to avoid confusion is to not look at the computer when you are using Z-Tool+. Z-tool+ always does what you tell it to and tells you what it is doing, there is no need to go to the interface management web page. I haven't included or excluded at the management page since Z-Tool+ was released.
          I agree with this. Being a relative newcomer to HS3--well after Z-Tool+ release--I've never used the management page even once.
          -Wade

Comment

Ok. Both as a primary on their own HomeID. Interesting. Technically it will work being unique HomeID (unique seperate z-wave networks). I suppose I never thought of a "why" to do it like that.

Comment

I don't think HS will allow multiple primary controllers with the same HomeID. If you have a controller fail when they are primary and secondary, I could imagine it being a nightmare to get each node talking to the closest controller after replacing one. With each on its own HomeID, I restore from the correct backup and I'm done.

When I added my second controller, most of my devices were still legacy Z-Wave and were much less forgiving of incorrect or missing routes. I also had mostly GE/Jasco devices that didn't support instant status. My plan was to make sure each device had a direct path to a controller. By doing this all of the Jasco devices would support pseudo instant status. Those were the bad old days of Z-Wave.

Now that I have mostly Z-Wave plus devices, I could probably go back to a single controller, but why change something that is working

Comment

I don't think HS will allow multiple primary controllers with the same HomeID. If you have a controller fail when they are primary and secondary, I could imagine it being a nightmare to get each node talking to the closest controller after replacing one. With each on its own HomeID, I restore from the correct backup and I'm done.
                Yeah that's a no to multiple primary on the same ID... at least I HOPE... I'm not trying it on my network...

When I added my second controller, most of my devices were still legacy Z-Wave and were much less forgiving of incorrect or missing routes. I also had mostly GE/Jasco devices that didn't support instant status. My plan was to make sure each device had a direct path to a controller.

Now that I have mostly Z-Wave plus devices, I could probably go back to a single controller, but why change something that is working

Most of my devices are now z-wave plus (2 to go... on order minus the battery devices which I don't count).

This has me thinking of use/benefit of each scenario. Maybe a new thread? I'm going to go back and read some documentation, it's been a long long time since I read through those pieces it's time for a refresher course I think.

Comment

Here the Leviton VRCOP and Samsung Smartthings hub are primary controllers and share same Home ID as the Homeseer ZWave GPIO card in the RPi in my zwave sandbox.

All three see all of the ZWave nodes. VRCOP is in the basement, Samsung hub is on the main floor and the Homeseer ZNet like device is in the attic of the second floor.

I can send commands to nodes from each controller but the nodes do not report status to the other controllers.

Click image for larger version

Name:	zwave.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	37.7 KB
ID:	1246748
                  Last edited by Pete; September 10, 2018, 10:04 PM.
                  - Pete

Auto mator
                  Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                  Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
                  HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
                  HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Thanks all for your comments. I won't fret about the controller management screen not showing what I would expect although it can still be confusing. Sometimes I plug in a device or hold a battery powered device close to the z-net so I do use the controller management screen instead of Z-Tool+.

Additionally, you can see in my screen shot when backing up, the word "office" appears under both controller file names. If I'm not paying attention that could wreak havoc.

I won't bother checking the controller management page when using Z-Tool+, but when I do use the controller management page directly instead of Z-Tool+ it can be confusing.

Comment

Z-tool causes my processor to peg to 100%.
                      HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435 (Windows Server 8.1 on ESXi box)

Plug-Ins Enabled:
                      Z-Wave:,RaspberryIO:,AirplaySpeak:,Ecobee:,
                      weatherXML:,JowiHue:,APCUPSD:,PHLocation:,Chromecast:,EasyTr igger:

Comment

Originally posted by wpiman View Post
                        That's strange, but does it really matter? It's not like it's constantly running or even used all that often.

Comment

Originally posted by wpiman View Post
                          This is a problem i have seen and reported on. Others have reported it also. I don't believe it is Z-Tool issue, because it will do it when including or excluding from the Controller Management page. It has been going on for a long time, probably more than two years. The CPU will rise to about double on a single inclusion or exclusion and will go up more with an additional inclusion or exclusion in the same setting. It can also be made to rise by backing up a controller. I have several controllers and my script that initiates a backup on each controller will make my CPU rise from the nominal 20% to 70-90%. I don't know when I first saw it, but I reported it as far back as Z-Wave 3.0.1.147. Back then, it was not unusual for my CPU to hit 100% after a full backup of all controllers. It has mitigated somewhat since then, but it is definitely still happening. I sold three thermostats last week. They had all been removed from HomeSeer, but I did an exclude on all of them just to make sure they were reset before shipping them. After the third one I got a Pushover message letting me know CPU had risen to nearly 80%. The only way to cure it is to disable/enable the Z-Wave plug-in or to restart HS.

Comment

This is a problem i have seen and reported on. Others have reported it also. I don't believe it is Z-Tool issue, because it will do it when including or excluding from the Controller Management page. It has been going on for a long time, probably more than two years. The CPU will rise to about double on a single inclusion or exclusion and will go up more with an additional inclusion or exclusion in the same setting. It can also be made to rise by backing up a controller. I have several controllers and my script that initiates a backup on each controller will make my CPU rise from the nominal 20% to 70-90%. I don't know when I first saw it, but I reported it as far back as Z-Wave 3.0.1.147. Back then, it was not unusual for my CPU to hit 100% after a full backup of all controllers. It has mitigated somewhat since then, but it is definitely still happening. I sold three thermostats last week. They had all been removed from HomeSeer, but I did an exclude on all of them just to make sure they were reset before shipping them. After the third one I got a Pushover message letting me know CPU had risen to nearly 80%. The only way to cure it is to disable/enable the Z-Wave plug-in or to restart HS.
                            What he said. Once it happens, the HSPI_Zwave thread stays pegged until the plugin is rebooted..
                            HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.435 (Windows Server 8.1 on ESXi box)

Plug-Ins Enabled:
                            Z-Wave:,RaspberryIO:,AirplaySpeak:,Ecobee:,
                            weatherXML:,JowiHue:,APCUPSD:,PHLocation:,Chromecast:,EasyTr igger:

Comment

Here like the visuals-diagnostics from the application but it runs a bit slow for me here test running it on W7Pro, W10 Pro and W2016 standard server.

I have settled now leaving it on W2016 and using RDP to it.
                              - Pete

Auto mator
                              Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb
                              Homeseer Zee2 (Lite) - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e - CherryTrail x5-Z8350 BeeLink 4Gb BT3 Pro
                              HS4 Lite - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenovo Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram

HS4 Pro - V4.1.18.1 - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
                              HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Working...
                              X