An HS3-Linux installer package

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by zwolfpack View Post

Do you have anything in /sys/class/leds/ ?
    Here is what I've got. Don't see anything about the front panel LEDs.

I know that ubuntu 18.10 was specifically done for the NUC's but they were planing to roll all of the changes back into 18.04 LTS this month. Haven't seen any information if this is still coming this month or if it's been delayed.

Code:
    homeseer@auto:/opt/HomeSeer$ ls /sys/class/leds/

input4::capslock  input4::compose  input4::kana  input4::numlock  input4::scrolllock  phy0-led
    UPDATE: Looks like those changes were rolled into 18.04.2
    HomeSeer Version: HS3 Standard Edition 3.0.0.548
    Linux version: Linux auto 4.15.0-72-generic #81-Ubuntu SMP Tue Nov 26 12:20:02 UTC 2019 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
    Number of Devices: 484 | Number of Events: 776

Enabled Plug-Ins: 3.0.0.13: AirplaySpeak | 2.0.61.0: BLBackup
    3.0.0.70: EasyTrigger | 1.3.7006.42100: LiftMaster MyQ
    4.2.3.0: mcsMQTT | 3.0.0.53: PHLocation2 | 0.0.0.47: Pushover 3P
    3.0.0.16: RaspberryIO | 3.0.1.262: Z-Wave

Z-Net version: 1.0.23 for Inclusion Nodes
    SmartStick+: 6.04 (ZDK 6.81.3) on Server

Comment

Originally posted by Timon View Post

Here is what I get for both. Your were already using /etc/os-release, are you switching over to usb_release?
      Use both - $ID from /etc/os-release and "lsb_release -cs" to get codename (stretch, bionic, etc.)

I need to tweak things a bit to get the correct mono repo for ubuntu.

Comment

Originally posted by Timon View Post

Here is what I've got. Don't see anything about the front panel LEDs.

I know that ubuntu 18.10 was specifically done for the NUC's but they were planing to roll all of the changes back into 18.04 LTS this month. Haven't seen any information if this is still coming this month or if it's been delayed.

Code:
        homeseer@auto:/opt/HomeSeer$ ls /sys/class/leds/

input4::capslock input4::compose input4::kana input4::numlock input4::scrolllock phy0-led
        UPDATE: Looks like those changes were rolled into 18.04.2
        Darn - I'm guessing those don't correspond to your front panel leds.

On the rpi, /sys/class/leds/led0/ contains the controls for the onboard green led, and ..../led1/ has controls for the red one.

Comment

Darn - I'm guessing those don't correspond to your front panel leds.

On the rpi, /sys/class/leds/led0/ contains the controls for the onboard green led, and ..../led1/ has controls for the red one.
          Your right, nothing seems to match up. I suspect the kernel driver for the LEDs hasn’t been written yet. I’m checking the Ubuntu forums to see if anyone knows. So far no Joy.

Can you e-mail, I assume you still have my address, me the latest update for the installer. I’ll read through it and then give it a shot after I make a complete HS3 backup which happens tonight at midnight.
          Linux version: Linux auto 4.15.0-72-generic #81-Ubuntu SMP Tue Nov 26 12:20:02 UTC 2019 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Comment

OK, sent.

Comment

Using this image the led1 that usually in the original HS image turns on red, after blue and after green, it's not working at all... led is not turning on with any color

Comment

Originally posted by pgmp View Post
                Using this image the led1 that usually in the original HS image turns on red, after blue and after green, it's not working at all... led is not turning on with any color
                By 'original HS image', you mean the HS3-Pi image? This installer is for HS3-Std or Pro, which is a different license.

Comment

Yes, I mean HS3-Pi image. I used your procedure but replacing in the makefile the tarfile by hspi3_091218.tar.gz and it worked ok with the exception of the Leds that are not working at all.

Comment

Originally posted by pgmp View Post
                    Yes, I mean HS3-Pi image. I used your procedure but replacing in the makefile the tarfile by hspi3_091218.tar.gz and it worked ok with the exception of the Leds that are not working at all.
                    That's pretty clever!

You probably need the wiringpi package

Code:
                    sudo apt-get -y install wiringpi
                    That would be a good addition to the Makefile - thanks.

As far as the LED turning blue at startup, that's done in the /etc/rc.local of the HS3-Pi image, which isn't part of the HS3 core install. The Z-Wave plugin should set it green once it connects.

Comment

The changes in the Makefile were required due to the fact I have just ZEES2 Licenses for HS3, so after consulting to Rich he suggested to use the image that corresponds to my license... so credits for him too!
                      Regarding wiringpi, I just made it but it was already installed and in the last version. I think I need to trigger led.sh proc in order to get it working.

Comment

Some of the LED control is in the led.sh script but some is not. It's too bad that all of the routines that control the LED don't call that script then as it would be much easier to add LEDs to non RPi configurations.

In addition Standard and Pro could also use the LEDs by calling that routine. It's just that the initial LED for non-rpi systems would be a dummy routine until the user updates it. In face it wouldn't be hard to upgrade If that was done then PollyC could speak the LED colors during startup,

OMT, one could easily modify the LED routine to check if it's running on a RPi that wiringpi was installed and if not install it.

Comment

I've been evaluating HS3 on Linux (Raspberry Pi). Overall review is mixed. It has promise but the implementation is sloppy. The developer's Windows-centricism really shows. I won't be abandoning the 3-yr old Win7 Hometroller S6 anytime soon (not by choice anyhow). Glad I followed my instinct to stick with the platform with which they had the greater expertise.
                          zwolfpack Hi,

1.When you have time , I would be very curious to know your opinion on this. I mean the pro’s and cons of hs3 on linux vs windows . I think you see more advantages to stay on windows.

Thanks !!

2. Also..I saw somewhere you were replying to someone that on the pi there is not real time clock or something like that (eg. some events Could be triigered at a wrong time) cuz it was surely to pricey to inplemment it in the pi. I am not able to find the thread .. but just because of that I think I wont install my mom’s new install on a pi and will wait for the standard licence at 50% and will install it one something else ( maybe on my odroid XU4).

So do you think it is a critical issue ? Does this happen all the time or just to much frequently?

Comment

Originally posted by MattL0 View Post

1.When you have time , I would be very curious to know your opinion on this. I mean the pro’s and cons of hs3 on linux vs windows . I think you see more advantages to stay on windows.
                            I don't see many advantages to running on Windows vs Linux. Linux is free. Linux is far more stable than Windows is.

Originally posted by MattL0 View Post
                            2. Also..I saw somewhere you were replying to someone that on the pi there is not real time clock or something like that (eg. some events Could be triigered at a wrong time) cuz it was surely to pricey to inplemment it in the pi. I am not able to find the thread .. but just because of that I think I wont install my mom’s new install on a pi and will wait for the standard licence at 50% and will install it one something else ( maybe on my odroid XU4).

So do you think it is a critical issue ? Does this happen all the time or just to much frequently?
                            The issue regarding the real time clock was because the OP did not have an internet connection therefore he could not use NTP to set the clock on the PI at boot time. When the PI boots it will find an NTP server on the Internet and set the time correctly. No Internet means no access to an NTP server to set the time causing the issue.

Comment

The time issue was discussed here: https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/ho...y-yeeee-haawll

His issue was that he didn't have an always on internet connection, and he noted the clock would drift. Here is a decent discussion of this issue: https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/v...ic.php?t=29255

As long as there is a reasonably consistent internet connection, the rpi's time keeping is rock solid and its not an issue.

Regarding Windows vs. Linux - when I was deciding what to buy (2015), support for Linux (plugins, etc) was way less than it is now. I reasoned that HS developers were more fluent in Windows than Linux, so I spring for their "Cadillac" offering, the Hometroller S6-PRO (I was in midst of big home improvement project and wanted to hit the ground running). Overall this product was been super reliable, although I had to do a heck of a lot of tinkering to get it that way. [I'm unimpressed by HS's attention to detail].

Three years later, I started thinking about the path forward when this box bites the dust, either thru hardware failure or when OS (Win7) support ends. So I undertook the HS3-Linux eval. Because I'm used to the experience on Windows, I have a certain level of expectation. In my eyes, the Linux product came up short in several areas, for instance:

1) Because Linux path names are case-sensitive, an image URL that works in Windows might fail in Linux (my installer fixes several of these). Also, the plugin updater "installed version" column is a mess because HS doesn't follow their own rules for matching case in the updater control file.

2) This application begs to be implemented as a service, but HS makes no effort whatsoever to do so. My installer addresses this shortcoming, but shouldn't have to.

3) Scripting issues. I've noted that under the mono implementation, certain constructs that will work on Windows will fail when moved to the Linux side. sparkman has posted some awesome scripts that really add value. One of these, the Z-Wave polling script, was able with his help to get running under both platforms. On the other hand, I never did get his Script to list events that have script actions to work on the Linux side. Once I got it to the point where it tried to initiate the SQL connection, HS3 terminated. So I threw in the towel.

For now, I've decided to defer any decision for the path ahead. My existing system is super reliable - neither Windows 7 nor HS3 has crashed for at least two years, knock on wood. Windows 7 Embedded Standard extended support runs thru October 2020. When the time comes, I'll have a look at it again.

Comment

Thanks a lot !

Comment

Working...
                                X