An HS3-Linux installer package

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by racerfern View Post
    I haven't purchased a license yet but when I do after this is all set up and running for my son it will be the Pi license.

I downloaded via your link unzipped into its own directory and type the make install -all command.

Now I understand better, I think.

I need to uninstall and try again. Can I just delete the HomeSeer directory with everything in it?
    Yes, you can delete and start again.

'install-all' is one word, no space. Copy/paste the two commands from post #44 for HS3-Pi version, and make sure you got the 'r3' installer just uploaded for the 2nd one to work properly.

Comment

And just like that... It's a good thing these aren't hoola hoops that I needed to jump through, but all's well. As always special thanks to zwolfpack .

deConz is up and running on port 80, HS3-Pi is on a different port. Now on to the next challenge. JowiHue doesn't see the deConz yet it's obviously there. Jumping to the JowiHue forum.

Thanks again to zwolfpack

Comment

I found the other thread about setting up HS3 Pro on a Pi, but it seems like this one is much more up to date!

What file should I grab to hit the ground running with HS3 Pro on a Pi3? I've got the Pi3 and a zwave stick already, and I want to run Hs3 on a Pi rather than my main windows computer. I'm assuming that I should be starting with a fresh install of Raspbian Buster.

In terms of checking errors and things, how do I get into the machine? Can I remote into it from a windows PC or does it need its own Keyboard/monitor/etc? I'm quite new to all of this but excited to get going!

Comment

Originally posted by guitarchitect View Post
          I found the other thread about setting up HS3 Pro on a Pi, but it seems like this one is much more up to date!

What file should I grab to hit the ground running with HS3 Pro on a Pi3? I've got the Pi3 and a zwave stick already, and I want to run Hs3 on a Pi rather than my main windows computer. I'm assuming that I should be starting with a fresh install of Raspbian Buster.

In terms of checking errors and things, how do I get into the machine? Can I remote into it from a windows PC or does it need its own Keyboard/monitor/etc? I'm quite new to all of this but excited to get going!
          Yes, the first order of business is to get your Pi up & running with the Raspbian OS. You can find plenty of online guidance on how to do that.

I find it easiest to run remote via ssh from Windows, using PuTTY. You can use a monitor & keyboard, but there is no real need for that.

Once you're logged in, you'll need to get the zip archive from post #1 to your workspace. The WinSCP tool is good for this, or just use a USB stick. Follow the instructions in post #1, which is basically to run

Code:
          unzip hs3-linux-installer-r3.zip
          sudo make install-all

Comment

Originally posted by zwolfpack View Post

Yes, the first order of business is to get your Pi up & running with the Raspbian OS. You can find plenty of online guidance on how to do that.

I find it easiest to run remote via ssh from Windows, using PuTTY. You can use a monitor & keyboard, but there is no real need for that.

Once you're logged in, you'll need to get the zip archive from post #1 to your workspace. The WinSCP tool is good for this, or just use a USB stick. Follow the instructions in post #1, which is basically to run

Code:
            unzip hs3-linux-installer-r3.zip
            sudo make install-all
            Thanks! So far, so good!

The pi boots into the raspbian GUI, is that a problem at all?

Also, do you have any idea if I can run multiple startup packages? I would love to use the same machine as a pi-hole (or at least try it out)

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by guitarchitect View Post
              The pi boots into the raspbian GUI, is that a problem at all?
              Not a problem. Th GUI isn't necessary for HS3, but it doesn't hurt

Also, do you have any idea if I can run multiple startup packages?
              Again, no problem, just don't overload it. Use the htop tool to get an idea of the resources the various processes demand, and what the overall loading is.

Comment

I can't understand why anyone would want the Pi Desktop while using the Pi as a HS server. Uses valuable resources unnecessarily. You can disable it using sudo raspi-config. Even better. Just install the Lite version of Raspbian.

Comment

Originally posted by concordseer View Post
                  I can't understand why anyone would want the Pi Desktop while using the Pi as a HS server. Uses valuable resources unnecessarily. You can disable it using sudo raspi-config. Even better. Just install the Lite version of Raspbian.
                  I don't think its a bad way to start. I wouldn't discourage a beginner from using the desktop while getting familiar with the Linux world.

Regarding resource utilization ... I have a couple fairly "virgin" disks of Raspbian-desktop and Raspbian-lite (both Buster). For desktop, no display attached; connect via ssh.

Starting with disk utilization,

Desktop
                  Code:
                  pi@rpidt10:~ $ df -h /
                  Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
                  /dev/root       3.4G  3.0G  154M  96% /
                  Lite
                  Code:
                  pi@rpi10:~ $ df -h /
                  Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
                  /dev/root       3.4G  1.5G  1.8G  46% /
                  So desktop adds approx. 1.5G. This becomes less of an issue as flash densities increase.

htop screenshots attached. CPU utilization for both is very little. Memory utilization for desktop (rpi10dt) shows 119M/926M vs. lite's 66M/926M.

So desktop is adding approx. 53M/926M, (6%).

Not too bad...
                  Attached Files

Comment

Yes I like to keep things as simple as possible in Linux too. I find scripts can become a little unwieldy, need maintaining as and when specific references are made to links that are sometimes broken. I find a couple of copy/paste commands can achieve the same result and the novice gets to see what each command does. That's just me of course.

Comment

I'll see what i can do. I did it mainly because i'm very unfamiliar with linux and it helped me get going.

Comment

I don't use a desktop on my system but some people are more comfortable with a desktop so more power to them. Other than the space on the flash card, it only uses resources when a user is logged in and using it.

Comment

For anyone experiencing difficulty with the script method install here's a simple copy/paste method that will have you up and running in HS in 15-20 minutes. It also gives you an opportunity to see exactly what is going on behind the scenes. https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/ho...u-18-04-server

Works with most flavours of Linux including Raspbian.

Comment

For newbies who are struggling with the command line I would also recommend they install MC - Midnight Commander. It's handy when you are working in a terminal and makes moving files easier - IMHO.

Comment

Quick question regarding updating HS3, are APT updates supported?

What's the best method to keep Raspian\HS3 updated? Great script BTW

Comment

HS3 update, using the subject script:
                                Code:
                                sudo make upgrade-hs3
                                will stop HS3, update to the latest release version, then restart.

For Raspbian upgrade
                                Code:
                                sudo make stop-hs3
                                sudo apt-get update
                                sudo apt-get -y dist-upgrade --auto-remove
                                sudo make start-hs3

Comment

Working...
                                X