No announcement yet.

An HS3-Linux installer package

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As I’ve mentioned before, you’ve got to keep scripts maintained, otherwise they are useless. Might be an idea to give a version option install at some stage in the script

Comment

HS changed the tarfile naming convention for this version. Previous HS3 tarfiles were all "hs3_linux_3_0_0_nnn.tar.gz". This one is is "hslinux_hs3_3_0_0_550.tar.gz"

The version to install is fetched from https://homeseer.com/updates3/hs3linuxhs3.txt. This contains the tarfile name, but the script uses 'Version' which won't work in this case.

Might be an idea to give a version option install at some stage in the script
      As the previous poster indicated, the tarfile name can be specified on the command line. It can also be made 'sticky' in the 01settings file (examples included). These options allow installation of HS3-Pi, and there's options for HS4 as well.

BTW, it isn't a script, its a Makefile. There's a difference ... but you knew that

Comment

Originally posted by zwolfpack View Post
        HS changed the tarfile naming convention for this version. Previous HS3 tarfiles were all "hs3_linux_3_0_0_nnn.tar.gz". This one is is "hslinux_hs3_3_0_0_550.tar.gz"

The version to install is fetched from https://homeseer.com/updates3/hs3linuxhs3.txt. This contains the tarfile name, but the script uses 'Version' which won't work in this case.

As the previous poster indicated, the tarfile name can be specified on the command line. It can also be made 'sticky' in the 01settings file (examples included). These options allow installation of HS3-Pi, and there's options for HS4 as well.

BTW, it isn't a script, its a Makefile. There's a difference ... but you knew that
        Indeed. I’m just talking generally about install scripts. There’s a ton of unmaintained scripts on the web with broken links which create more problems than they solve.

When it comes to installing HS on any flavour of Linux the user shouldn’t have worry about broken links. Clear and concise instructions for installation should be provided by the author. After all this is a commercial product not one of the many open source projects where you are mostly left to your on devices when it comes to installation

Comment

I assume this hasn't yet been updated for HS4?
          been pulling my hair out trying to install HS4 from a blank install, and I remember how easy this was! I will probably just use this and then try to upgrade at this point

Comment

I've used it for HS4. You do need to specify the version explicitly -- just edit the 01settings file, uncomment the 'version=' line and set it to the version you want.

I wasn't able to determine the file that HS4 downloads to find the latest version.

Comment

Originally posted by guitarchitect View Post
              I assume this hasn't yet been updated for HS4?
              been pulling my hair out trying to install HS4 from a blank install, and I remember how easy this was! I will probably just use this and then try to upgrade at this point
              What platform are you installing this on.

Comment

Originally posted by concordseer View Post

What platform are you installing this on.
                Raspberry Pi 3b+ - I installed the latest raspberry Pi OS (used to be called raspbian).

I installed hs3 with the zip from the first post and it's humming along well... Hoping to upgrade after the kids are in bed!

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk

Comment

I've used it for HS4. You do need to specify the version explicitly -- just edit the 01settings file, uncomment the 'version=' line and set it to the version you want.

I wasn't able to determine the file that HS4 downloads to find the latest version.
                  ahhhh shoot, i missed your post. i already got v3 but that might be a blessing in disguise, i've heard of (and had) issues with a straight HS4 install but i've heard if you do v3 and then upgrade to 4 there are fewer errors. will report back!

Comment

Does HS4/Pi still have limitations on it that the linux version does not?

Comment

https://homeseer.com/home-automation-software/

Pi version limited to five operating plugins.

Pi version is only available within the OS image download.

Comment

Thanks again for this installer package. It is great.
                        I have upgraded to HS4 and would love to do a fresh install with HS4 and my HS4 linux license using your installer package on a Pi4. Is this possible?

Comment

Originally posted by Jamr View Post
                          I have upgraded to HS4 and would love to do a fresh install with HS4 and my HS4 linux license using your installer package on a Pi4. Is this possible?
                          Yes, I'm evaluating my HS4 license on an Pi4b.

Use the file ending in 'r6', it defaults to HS4.

Comment

Yes, I'm evaluating my HS4 license on an Pi4b.

Use the file ending in 'r6', it defaults to HS4.
                            Any particular differences to the installation when using r6 or do I just replace hs3 with hs4 in the code?

Comment

Originally posted by Jamr View Post
                              Any particular differences to the installation when using r6 or do I just replace hs3 with hs4 in the code?
                              Use r6 as-is to install HS4. To install the current HS4 release:
                              Code:
                              sudo make install-all
                              There's a parameter 'hs' which can be either 3 or 4. Some parameter defaults are defined in the file 01settings. In r6, 'hs' default is 4. Defaults can be overridden on the command line, for example
                              Code:
                              sudo make install-all hs=3
                              sudo make install-hs version=4.1.15.0
                              And can be made permanent by changing them in 01settings.

01settings:
                              Code:
                              # settings readable by shell script or Makefile

# product: HS3 or HS4
                              hs=4

# HS web login credentials - only used if local login is required
                              login=username:p​assword

# default installpoint, used if existing not found
                              installpoint=/opt

# standard locations to search for existing installation
                              installpoints := /usr/local /opt

# any files (relative to hsroot folder) that you want to preserve
                              preserve_files = speak.sh speak_to_file.sh

# archive download override
                              # uncomment following to select HS3-Pi edition
                              #tarfile=hs3pi3_070319.tar.gz
                              # uncomment following to select HS4-Pi edition
                              #tarfile="Not yet available"

# mono release channel: one of: stable (default), preview, nightly
                              #mono_channel=preview

# mono distributions may lag OS distributions - override if applicable
                              #codename=buster

Comment

Working...
                              X