Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why can't I change a device to be Controllable ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why can't I change a device to be Controllable ?

Hi,

I've got many devices created that I'd like to have the ability to 'Control' them instead of them just being a status device. So I go into the Status Graphics tab and change the 'Status-Control' to 'Both' but yet neither do the control buttons appear on the main screen, nor is the device controllable through an Event.

Is it because these devices have been created through a Plugin and there is a hidden field, or Read Only setting on these fields ?

Case in point:

One device is an RFXCOM sensor on a door which is quite a distance away from the receiver. Occasionally the door is opened and closed but the receiver doesn't get the 'close' signal because of the distance. I can visibly see the door is closed so I just would like to alter the status on the device back to closed through the GUI, but without the ability to control it I can't.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	184
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	1262121
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	139
Size:	9.2 KB
ID:	1262123
    Attached Files

It is up to the plug-in author as to whether a device is creates as Status only or if it is controllable. Many devices like the door sensor you mention are reporting only devices. They are not designed to be controlled. If the device is created and “owned” by a plug-in, you usually can not modify this behavior. If you look at the configuration tab for “Status Only Device”, you will probably find it grayed out, meaning you cannot change it.
    HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.16 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Thanks Randy, am learning quick and having checked the status only device field is greyed out as you say. It'd be even more useful therefore if HS then simply didn't allow the status-control on the next tab to be changed in any way if this field is greyed out - that would stop confusion right ?

Could I conclude that there is no way of changing these devices to be 'ungreyed' ? In the Vera system I'm coming from I was able to adjust any parameter on a device, not be restricted by how it was created, or by which plugin.

Thanks again in advance,

D

Comment

Originally posted by Daveyboy View Post
        Thanks Randy, am learning quick and having checked the status only device field is greyed out as you say. It'd be even more useful therefore if HS then simply didn't allow the status-control on the next tab to be changed in any way if this field is greyed out - that would stop confusion right ?

Could I conclude that there is no way of changing these devices to be 'ungreyed' ? In the Vera system I'm coming from I was able to adjust any parameter on a device, not be restricted by how it was created, or by which plugin.

Thanks again in advance,

D
        You cannot change them and I could see the change made for avoiding the confusion you see creating confusion for others. They would wonder why the options weren’t there, lacking the knowledge of the configuration option. You cannot please...

HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.16 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

Originally posted by Daveyboy View Post
          Case in point:

One device is an RFXCOM sensor on a door which is quite a distance away from the receiver. Occasionally the door is opened and closed but the receiver doesn't get the 'close' signal because of the distance. I can visibly see the door is closed so I just would like to alter the status on the device back to closed through the GUI, but without the ability to control it I can't.
          Just to add that, for the particular case you describe, you are wanting to change the displayed status in HS rather than control the device. You can do that using the function hs.SetDeviceValueByRef(dvRef,value,trigger) which you can execute as an Immediate Script Command from an event or within a script.

dvRef is the Device ref ID as an Integer
          value is the value you want to set the device to as a double (look at the status graphics tab of the device to determine what value you need to use)
          trigger is a boolean true or false depending on whether you want the change to trigger events.

This function doesn't control a device, even it it were controllable, but just changes the value in HS so can be used to put a sensor back in step in your situation.

Steve

Comment

Thanks Gents, I've modded a script to adjust the status in HS based on your suggestions.

Then I've linked it to a manual event which can be manually triggered on Imperihome when we know a door/window is closed and we're setting the alarm.

Comment

Working...
            X