Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Text received, but HS3 says it wasn't me who sent it.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Text received, but HS3 says it wasn't me who sent it.

I have an event that sends a text to my phone whenever the garage door opens and another one when it closes. Simple enough, it's worked just fine for a long time. This morning as I was driving to work I got an alert that the garage door was opened and within the same minute, that it was closed.

However, there is no record in the log of either it actually happening and no record of the event executing. To confirm, at the time I got the warning, the security camera confirms the door was closed all along. The main event page shows the last time the open and closed event fired was the day before in the evening.

So according to HS3 it didn't happen and the security camera agrees. If so, then how in the world did I get that text message?

Is the garage door tied to the cloud like Liftmaster? Anything else that could trigger a text alert? Ghostbuster intervention?

Comment

May not be your case, but I use my GMail account for my text alerts and a month or so ago it sat on a few text messages and then sent them all at once with the current date/time not the actual time that the events were triggered. I had an issue with GMail security that was blocking third party emailing apps. I 'allowed' HS to send emails and have not had an issue since.
      Dan-O
      HomeSeer contributor since summer 1999, yes 1999!

Comment

I opened my garage the closed it within a minute. You may of gotten my text.

😁😁😁

Jim

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Doesn't it say who the text is from?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by racerfern View Post
            I have an event that sends a text to my phone whenever the garage door opens and another one when it closes. Simple enough, it's worked just fine for a long time. This morning as I was driving to work I got an alert that the garage door was opened and within the same minute, that it was closed.

However, there is no record in the log of either it actually happening and no record of the event executing. To confirm, at the time I got the warning, the security camera confirms the door was closed all along. The main event page shows the last time the open and closed event fired was the day before in the evening.

So according to HS3 it didn't happen and the security camera agrees. If so, then how in the world did I get that text message?
            Is this an SMS text, Pushover message or something else?

HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

It says it's from the email address I have setup in HS3. I created that email address with my cable provider specifically for HS3 to use. I entered the SMTP server and port like normal.
              The difference is that instead of sending the email to another email address, it sends it to my phone which the phone receives as a text message.
              email to: 123-456-7890@msg.fi.google.com. I had a Verizon phone until recently and you just changed the @vtext.com.

Comment

I have had vtext messages delivered more than hour after sent. Is there a chance it was a delay by Google?

That is why I switched to Pushover.

Comment

The main event page shows the last time the open and closed event fired was the day before in the evening
                  Did you get messages at that time? Like Randy, I use Pushover too. Works great and free plug-in.
                  HS 4.2.8.0: 2134 Devices 1252 Events
                  Z-Wave 3.0.10.0: 133 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

sparkman Yes, I did get those messages. With this one exception, I get a message within 1 or 2 seconds of the event firing.

Not much to do except wait for it to happen again. Time will tell.

Comment

One thing that may help with troubleshooting would be to use replacement variables to add date/time to the message and then you can see when HS generated them versus when they were received.

Comment

sparkman Why didn't I think of that? I have quite a few events that get a variable along with the text, I'm now on a mission to add $date and $time to a bunch of events. Of course, this will never rear its ugly head again.

Comment

sparkman Why didn't I think of that? I have quite a few events that get a variable along with the text, I'm now on a mission to add $date and $time to a bunch of events. Of course, this will never rear its ugly head again.
                          Murphy will assure that it doesn't

Comment

Of course, this will never rear its ugly head again.
                            😂 Guaranteed!

Comment

Working...
                            X