Windows vs Linux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Windows vs Linux

Seems like I remember a post that compared the differences of HS3PRO in Windows vs Linux. I searched but, can’t find it. I’m sure a lot has changed but, I think many of the plugins were only supported in Windows. I am currently on W7 and support from MS will end soon. Is it worth the change to Linux?

Here went from Windows 2003 32 bit server on two Homeseer 2 boxes to Ubuntu 64 bit on two Homeseer 3 boxes. I like the stability of running Homeseer in Linux.

That said there are many Homeseer 3 plugins that only work in Windows. New with Homeseer 3 is the ability to run a Windows plugin and connect it to a Homeseer 3 box running in Linux. I do that today running Windows in an Oracle Virtual box which runs on the Ubuntu box.

If you never have used Linux before you will have a learning curve. The Homeseer 3 GUI is the same in Linux or Windows. You do not need to utilize a desktop to run Homeseer in Linux.
    - Pete

Auto mator
    Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb

HS4 Pro - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
    HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Things likely have changed from an old post. Go to the HS store for software plugins(drivers) and look at the plugins you have to see if they are Linux compatible. If your system is dedicated to HS then the transition is not that hard as all your work I’ll be via browser.

I still run PRO100 series 1 with XP for some legacy applications and everything new goes into RPi-class computers with a Debian-based Linux OS. Most of the HA stuff I do has more support in Linux world and often Windows options are not available. My general desktop/office/development work is under Windows (W7).

Comment

When I had to migrate from my aging Windows 2003 server, I thought about going the Linux root. I'm comfortable with UNIX in general so I thought this was a good time. However, my compelling reason to stay with Windows had to do with all the plugin support. Mind you that was about 2 years ago... I chose Windows 2016 server and have no regrets. Running Homeseer as a service under Fire Daemon has been rock solid and I've been very pleased.

I've thought about picking up a RPI just to play with which would be cool.

Robert
        HS3PRO 3.0.0.500 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, JowiHue, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dots, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.

Comment

Testing Windows Server 2016 here these days (behind a bit) and I am impressed with it. It is much lighter than WIndows 10.

Here use it headless these days for RDP from the Ubuntu computers.

All of my Homeseer touch / SAPI computers are running XPe with absolutely no issues these days. It has been years now.

The Oracle Virtual Box's on the main HS3 computer are running micro versions of Windows 2003 32 bit server for HS3 stuff.
          - Pete

Auto mator
          Homeseer 3 Pro - 3.0.0.548 (Linux) - Ubuntu 18.04/W7e 64 bit Intel Haswell CPU 16Gb

HS4 Pro - Ubuntu 22.04 / Lenova Tiny M900 / 32Gb Ram
          HSTouch on Intel tabletop tablets (Jogglers) - Asus AIO - Windows 11

X10, UPB, Zigbee, ZWave and Wifi MQTT automation-Tasmota-Espurna. OmniPro 2, Russound zoned audio, Alexa, Cheaper RFID, W800 and Home Assistant

Comment

Working...
          X