How to capture energy use

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to capture energy use

What is needed in order to log energy use in HS? I noticed in the Setup menu on the UI there is an option to log energy information and on the View menu is an option for Energy but when I select it the following is displayed: error - Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

In the HS user manual I'm aware of the section that covers Device Energy Management but am unsure on how it is applied and get the impression it is somewhat involved.

I have also seen there are several plug ins related to energy monitoring, but again, unclear as to the actual implementation beyond using a plug in as some make reference to some sort of energy monitoring device and some don't.

If a monitoring device is needed I'd welcome any recommendations and pros/cons associated.

Do you have a "smart meter"? If you do, there may be a way to capture the information it is collecting, but that will depend on your meter.
    If you do not have a smart meter you will need a device that allows you to physically capture current on your house wiring. That can be as simple as a plug-in device to monitor just one load, or as complex as something like the BrulTech Green Eye Monitor. In any case, you will also need a plug-in to collect and format the data for use in HomeSeer. Getting comprehensive power usage data requires planning, expertise, and some effort. You may also need the help of an electrician to install the current sensors.
    Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
    HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

Thanks for the info and link. Clearly the devices that tie into the breaker panel with sensors for each circuit will provide the most detailed information... at a price.I do have a smart meter on the house and would like to start with that if possible. It is from Oncor and is an AXF-SD with a Gridstream RF. Since I have a smart meter, what is the method for collecting the information from it?

Comment

I have no experience with that meter. Do you have any documentation provided by your electric company? Does it have an accessory reader that connects to it?
        You should also try asking about it in the Energy Management forum.
        Mike____________________________________________________________ __________________
        HS3 Pro Edition 3.0.0.548, NUC i3

HW: Stargate | NX8e | CAV6.6 | Squeezebox | PCS | WGL 800RF | RFXCOM | Vantage Pro | Green-Eye | Edgeport/8 | Way2Call | Ecobee3 | EtherRain | Ubiquiti

Comment

That meter is provided by many power companies across NA. From what I can tell, the packets are encrypted so there would be no easy way to get its data into HS. If you are primarily interested in seeing whole house energy usage, then Aeotec has a z-wave one that works well. It does require current clamps to be installed around the primary power cables coming into your breaker panel, so may require an electrician if you are not comfortable doing that work yourself.

The aeotec’s can also be used to monitor power usage for specific circuits in your panel. Each of them can monitor two 120v circuits or one split phase 240v circuit. I have multiple at my breaker panel to do so, but at one point I may go the GEM route.

https://aeotec.com/z-wave-home-energy-measure
          HS 4.2.8.0: 2134 Devices 1252 Events
          Z-Wave 3.0.10.0: 133 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

Originally posted by sparkman View Post
            That meter is provided by many power companies across NA. From what I can tell, the packets are encrypted so there would be no easy way to get its data into HS. If you are primarily interested in seeing whole house energy usage, then Aeotec has a z-wave one that works well. It does require current clamps to be installed around the primary power cables coming into your breaker panel, so may require an electrician if you are not comfortable doing that work yourself.

The aeotec’s can also be used to monitor power usage for specific circuits in your panel. Each of them can monitor two 120v circuits or one split phase 240v circuit. I have multiple at my breaker panel to do so, but at one point I may go the GEM route.

https://aeotec.com/z-wave-home-energy-measure
            Can you explain how HS3 works with multiple energy sources? I just ordered the energy meter you linked to above and plan on using that for whole home. However, I would also like to add a smart switch for my washer and dryer so I can tell when they are done with a cycle. I also would like to monitor energy usage of the HVAC system.

I would love to go with Brultech, but it is out of my budget right now. How can you manage one "Whole home" energy usage when you have a few other individual energy devices. I don't want to double count.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnGalt View Post

Can you explain how HS3 works with multiple energy sources? I just ordered the energy meter you linked to above and plan on using that for whole home. However, I would also like to add a smart switch for my washer and dryer so I can tell when they are done with a cycle. I also would like to monitor energy usage of the HVAC system.

I would love to go with Brultech, but it is out of my budget right now. How can you manage one "Whole home" energy usage when you have a few other individual energy devices. I don't want to double count.
              I use the same Aeotec device to measure power on a number of branch circuits. Each one will do two 120V circuits, or one 240. Separate devices get created for each one.
              HS 4.2.8.0: 2134 Devices 1252 Events
              Z-Wave 3.0.10.0: 133 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

There are numerous devices which record power consumption. I use a CurrentCost device for my whole house. I also use the aeotec device mentioned here for my pool shed so I can tell whether my pump is on along with my daily/monthly consumption of my pool electronics etc. I have a few other aeotec and Zoos devices which measure consumption. Saying that, the possibilities are endless for measuring power consumption. For my whole house, I use Jon00's charting utility which stores the data from the device ids in a table -CC sums up both legs into one device. From which you can plot consumption and usage trends. I've calculated fairly close to what the hydro company is getting. The further advantage is you can draw your analysis based on your billing period etc.
                Here's an example of what I do:

Click image for larger version  Name:	hydro.jpg Views:	1 Size:	95.8 KB ID:	1290612
                HS3PRO 3.0.0.500 as a Fire Daemon service, Windows 2016 Server Std Intel Core i5 PC HTPC Slim SFF 4GB, 120GB SSD drive, WLG800, RFXCom, TI103,NetCam, UltraNetcam3, BLBackup, CurrentCost 3P Rain8Net, MCsSprinker, HSTouch, Ademco Security plugin/AD2USB, JowiHue, various Oregon Scientific temp/humidity sensors, Z-Net, Zsmoke, Aeron Labs micro switches, Amazon Echo Dots, WS+, WD+ ... on and on.

Comment

For measurement of plug-in devices such as refrigerators, space heaters, etc there are energy monitoring plugs that communicate via WiFi and typically cost in the $10 to $20 range. I have a couple described in The next to last section of http://mcsSprinklers.com/mcsMQTT.pdf. Another is the Sonoff S31 that I have connected to my washing machine and another on a bedroom fireplace that are both used with rules to inform when washer is done or fireplace should be turned off.

Comment

Working...
                  X