Monitoring configuration file changes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Monitoring configuration file changes

I have had some recent bad experiences where I have had my configuration files destroyed (Insteon, BLDSC). Perhaps this was caused by a bad shutdown. I realize that if I had a way to compare the current configuration file to a stored one and get an alert if there was a material change in size of the configuration file I would have an early warning for making repairs. Can anyone think of a way to do this? Thanks for considering.

This may be an option: https://forums.homeseer.com/forum/3r...or-homseer-2-3

Also, you could add a line in the INI files and then use a script to monitor for that line to see if it is still there.
    HS 4.2.8.0: 2134 Devices 1252 Events
    Z-Wave 3.0.10.0: 133 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

Thanks for writing sparkman. The Jon00 File Watcher can trigger when files change. However, my challenge is that the config files often change in small ways. That is fine. I'm looking for big changes, indicating the file might have been wiped out. So size could change by 50% or more and that might be a useful trigger.
      Sparkman, I really like the idea of adding a line the the ini files and making sure it is still there. Is that dangerous to start adding stuff to an .ini file? Would it be easy to write a script to check the .ini file and not mess up the usefulness of the file?

Comment

It should not be dangerous. Worst case is that the plugin removes it when it restarts, but I can't see anything breaking. If there is a plugin that does that, you could use one of its own entries that you know you changed and would reset if the plugin created a brand-new INI file Yes, it would be simple as HS has built in functions to read from INI files. The easiest would be to read the entry, and if it does not have the expected value, trigger an event or virtual device that could then be used to notify you. Alternately you could send an email directly from the script, or send a Pushover notification, etc. It would be easy to check multiple files from one script. If you need help getting started, let me know, and I can cobble something together.
        HS 4.2.8.0: 2134 Devices 1252 Events
        Z-Wave 3.0.10.0: 133 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

Working...
        X