Fordpass integration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fordpass integration

Hello, my wife uses Fordpass to start her car remotely in the morning when she’s getting ready for work. Sometimes she forgets to open the garage door. I’d like to find a way to automatically open the garage door (which is on zwave) when she starts her car with Fordpass. I don’t see a Fordpass plugin for HS3. I checked IFTTT and did not find anything. There is a Fordpass Alexa skill where you can have Alexa tell Fordpass to start your car. I’m going to add a FirstAlert Zwave smoke/carbon monoxide sensor in my garage so when it senses carbon monoxide it opens the garage door but this is a “too late” scenario. Any other ideas out there?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You could create an Alexa routine that 1. opens the garage door, and 2. starts the car. Would require using Alexa rather than the Fordpass app to start the vehicle.
    -Wade

Comment

Maybe have a luminance sensor at the headlight level. If the luminance sensor detects light (assuming car's lights go on when started), and if the garage door is closed, then open it.
      However, even with the garage door open, I'm not sure how safe it is since CO will still be accumulating in the garage. CO tends to go up and if the car is still in the garage, won't be good... I recall many years ago when my car battery died so my car was stuck in the garage. A towing service came to jumpstart my car, and the driver insisted that we push the car out of the garage (so at least its tail pipe is well outside the garage) before he would jump start my car.

Comment

I emailed Ford about FordPass integration with Homeseer. They said they are not interested in 3rd party integrations. This was last year so I can try and contract them again, but due to the security risk, I'm hesitant to believe they will open up the API. I could try and trace it on my phone (I have fordpass on my truck), but that probably won't yield much.

I like your idea of the CO detector, but like you said, that really won't work. Are there any "audio" sensors available?

Edit: I just thought of this. You could hook up a BT receiver to a switched power source and detect when it comes online. You would needs something with a BT receiver to tell HS3 that it detected it though.
        Thanks,
        Frank

Comment

Am I really the first one here to ask the OP why in the world he would need to remote start a car that's sitting in a garage?

Comment

Originally posted by sirmeili View Post
            I emailed Ford about FordPass integration with Homeseer. They said they are not interested in 3rd party integrations. This was last year so I can try and contract them again, but due to the security risk, I'm hesitant to believe they will open up the API. I could try and trace it on my phone (I have fordpass on my truck), but that probably won't yield much.

I like your idea of the CO detector, but like you said, that really won't work. Are there any "audio" sensors available?

Edit: I just thought of this. You could hook up a BT receiver to a switched power source and detect when it comes online. You would needs something with a BT receiver to tell HS3 that it detected it though.
            If I was still running the service this would be a simple fix.... Using an OBDII GPS tracker. When the vehicle starts the tracker will send an event for the ignition on sensor. Within Simplex Locate you could setup a sensor and when that sensor became ON send a notification to HS3. HS3 could then accept that data and compare against other things like the garage door state and perform whatever actions are needed.....

However Simplex Locate was shutdown 2/28/19 due to lack of customers which led to lack of funding... it was a good run while it lasted. The premise of the setup still stands but the Op would have to setup his own system that could parse the sensor data from the GPS Tracker and then be able to forward that information to HS3. Traccar is a good DIY system for this...

Comment

How about Dash to IFTTT to HS?

Agreed with the precious poster that starting a car in the garage even with the door open is never a good idea though. Depending on wind conditions, etc. fumes can get trapped. We have an unheated garage and have cold winters and my wife never runs it while in the garage. My side of the garage is full of toys so I park on the driveway and rarely warm up my truck. I just get in, run it for 15-30 seconds and drive away.
              HS 3.0.0.548: 1976 Devices 1156 Events
              Z-Wave 3.0.1.262: 123 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

Originally posted by sickpuppy View Post
                Am I really the first one here to ask the OP why in the world he would need to remote start a car that's sitting in a garage?
                He did say it was his wife.

Comment

Originally posted by sickpuppy View Post
                  Yes, I think coming up with a system that won’t allow the car to remote start while it’s in the garage would be more sensible.

Mike

Comment

Adding a powered vent in/near the ceiling would help alleviate the concern of CO building up inside the garage; trigger the vent when your CO detector triggers and/or when you determine the car is running. As a bonus powered vents can also help keep the garage cooler in the summer. If this is an attached garage a CO detector in the garage is a must, you should also make sure the garage is air sealed in reference to your living spaces. I like the idea of a luminance detector pointed at her headlights; I bet 1wire has one.

Comment

Yep, also a good idea. Here is the RFID implementation since I already had it bookmarked, BT would be set up the same. You'd connect a receiver to HS and use the direct wired version transmitter in the car plugged into the 12v accessory socket. Car comes on, 12v accessory socket gets powered, transmitter comes on and is detected..

https://www.ananiahelectronics.com/

Comment

Originally posted by frdaoust View Post
                        I’m going to add a FirstAlert Zwave smoke/carbon monoxide sensor in my garage so when it senses carbon monoxide it opens the garage door but this is a “too late” scenario. Any other ideas out there?
                        Most CO detectors have a operating temperature range. Here is what Kidde states on their web site.

https://www.kidde.com/home-safety/en...my_alarm_.aspx

Our smoke, carbon monoxide and combination alarms have been tested and will perform between 40 degrees and 100 degrees Fahrenheit. Reasonable exposure within these temperatures will not cause permanent damage. We do not recommend operating these alarms at, or outside these limits.

Comment

Originally posted by drhtmal View Post
                          He did say it was his wife.
                          Maybe the intent is to be a widower considering he said that "sometimes she forgets to open the garage door."

if (garage_occupancy=true.wife)
                          {
                          Fordpass(activate);
                          GarageDoor(disable);
                          DoorIntoGarage(lock)
                          CellJammer(activate)
                          }

Profit? (as the kiddies would say)
                          "Honest officer, I don't know what could have happened. If she had only remembered to open the garage door!" Bwaahaha

Comment

LMAO, that might be the best response out of them all!

Comment

I agree, I’m thinking Ford is hesitant to open up the API due to security concerns. They don’t want someone hacking in and finding, unlocking, starting your car, etc. Although it’s interesting they created an Alexa skill. Probably due to marketing pressure. Chrysler has a Uconnect skill and Tesla has a skill. Not sure about the other car companies.

Comment

Working...
                              X