Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Recommended Device Organization (Floor, Room, etc.)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• drparker151
    replied
    You have to see what works and make sense to your brain

You can change the name of each location in Setup/custom. Mine are Location and Device.

Remember you can also filter on a third value, device type, So you don't have to use one of the location fields for the type. For me, Child devices keep the same values as the root device. I also have a few special locations like control and counters for devices that are not really located in a room or area.

EDIT Also take a look at how the names are displayed when building events. I changed my naming after finding my original setup was very redundant and hard to deal with in events and drop down boxes. You could up with long names like:

drews office casteta pico pico drews office

now it displays as:

Office Casteta drews pico

Leave a comment:

• JohnGalt
    started a topic Recommended Device Organization (Floor, Room, etc.)

Recommended Device Organization (Floor, Room, etc.)

I am new to HomeSeer and want some advice on organizing all of my devices.

What works well for the "Floor" and "Room" fields. My house is only one story so I was thinking of some alternative ideas for the floor field and making the Room field be the physical location of the device.

I saw some examples where "Floor" is things such as "HVAC", "Lightning", so it is easier to find things.

In particular I am not sure how to organize combination sensors. For example, I have a HomeSeer leak sensor. Do I put the temperature value in the "Floor" of "HVAC" and the "Battery Status" in a "Floor" of "Battery Status."

I already have about 500 devices since I added my Elk Security system and Lutron RadioRa2 lights. So just adding two plugins added hundreds of devices and I would like to find a good way to organize/name them.

What has worked well for you all?

Working...
X