Pass dimmer value to event

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pass dimmer value to event

I'm trying to execute a event when a dimmer value changes and pass the value to the event to execute a command. Basically I'm making a dimmer a volume if I change the dimmber value then I want it to run an event and then execute a command with the dimmer level value. Is this possible?

Originally posted by troy.lynch View Post
    I'm trying to execute a event when a dimmer value changes and pass the value to the event to execute a command. Basically I'm making a dimmer a volume if I change the dimmber value then I want it to run an event and then execute a command with the dimmer level value. Is this possible?
    Yes, with scripts/immediate script commands or the EasyTrigger plugin.
    HS 4.2.8.0: 2134 Devices 1252 Events
    Z-Wave 3.0.10.0: 133 Nodes on one Z-Net

Comment

Easy Trigger is the simplest way to go. Among the features it adds is an action providing the ability to set one device to the value of another device. You could use that for the case you describe. There's a free trial and the plugin is about $30 - in my opinion, its a great value for all that it does. Plus the author is very receptive to adding new features and improvements.

Comment

Thanks Guys. I'll check out EasyTrigger first otherwise go the scripting route.

Comment

Originally posted by troy.lynch View Post
          Thanks Guys. I'll check out EasyTrigger first otherwise go the scripting route.
          Also, FYI - you might want to use two events so that a change to the dimmer triggers an event to change the volume device and, analogously, a change to the volume device triggers a second event that will adjust the dimmer device.

In doing this, you need to be careful here that you don't create loop (i.e., dimmer changes volume changes dimmer changes volume and so on). If you are using a HomeSeer dimmer or other dimmer that has a Central Scene capability, one way to handle this is to trigger the Dimmer's change event based on the setting of the central scene device "Scene 001 Key Released" or "Scene 002 Key Released" events, then in the Actions, set the volume device to the dimmer device's value. Analogously, if the Volume device changes, you then set the Dimmer device to the Volume device's value -- this avoids a loop since setting the dimmer device's value doesn't set the associated "Central Scene" and won't trigger the dimmer change event.

Comment

Working...
          X