I did it! What the heck do I do now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I did it! What the heck do I do now?

So I have managed to reach magic number of 232 nodes that I was not aware of. Not knowing better I blamed Smart Stick for not letting me add more devices.
    I have more devices to add. Can someone please give me suggestion what would be next step to extend the network so I can add more devices?

I am running HS3 Pro on pretty good windows 10 machine. Can I add another Z-wave interface to same computer? I'm lost.

Thanks Charles

Add a Z-net and create a 2nd z-wave network.
    HS3 SEL running Pro Edition 3.0.0.531 on Ubuntu 18.04, mono 5.20, 656 devices, 209 events.
    Plug-Ins: Chromecast, Device History, EasyTrigger, Ecobee, JowiHue, LutronCaseta, MeiUnifi, PHLocation2, Pushover 3P, SDJ-Health, Sonos, WeatherFlow, weatherXML
    Scripts: SparkMan's Lock Event, 5 of Jon00 scripts.

Comment

OK.. Can I just add another Smart Stick to same computer? I just tried it on my test system. It created new network. I have added new switch.
      It seems to work.

Am I missing something?

I assume Z-net would allow me to place it to different location than my current PC. Is there any other difference? Am I asking for problems by using too Z-sticks or is it essentially same thing as adding Z-net?

Click image for larger version

Name:	SS_Test.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	1297897

Comment

Originally posted by Charles_cz View Post
        ...or is it essentially same thing as adding Z-net?
        Its functionally identical. As long as everything is in range you won't notice any difference.

If needed in the future, you could move the stick to a Raspberry Pi, add appropriate software (ser2net), and you've built your own Z-Net!

Comment

Perfect.. Thank you.

Comment

OK.. Can I just add another Smart Stick to same computer? I just tried it on my test system. It created new network. I have added new switch.
            It seems to work.

Am I missing something?

I assume Z-net would allow me to place it to different location than my current PC. Is there any other difference? Am I asking for problems by using too Z-sticks or is it essentially same thing as adding Z-net?

It appears you have only 57 nodes, judging by the screenshot. Your numbering may be @ 232 but you can still add a lot more - unused numbers will be re-used.

Comment

Monk, that is test server on screen shot as I mentioned it on the post.

Once you reach the limit the system will let you know. 😁

Actually I wish there was a message about reached maximum of nodes rather than getting unspecified error.

Comment

It seems to work.

Am I missing something?

I agree 2 SmartStick+ interfaces would not be a problem. I would probably put one on a USB extension to avoid the (very slight) possibility of problems with two RF transceivers being within an inch or so of one another. While I doubt this could cause a problem, but I don’t know how Z-Wave implements traffic control. In the off chance that one is transmitting while the other is receiving, the transmitter of one could swamp the receiver of the other. I have 2 Z-Nets about 6 feet apart and it has not been an issue.

HS4 Pro, 4.2.19.0 Windows 10 pro, Supermicro LP Xeon

Comment

That's good to hear..

I have another question that comes from me not understanding everything yet.

For larger projects where we are going to need two Z-wave interfaces - does it matter how devices are divided between them?

Let's say I have big room with 20 switches. I will want to turn all of them ON at one event. Will there be difference processing speed if I have all 20 switches on one Z-wave interface vs 10 switches on one and other 10 switches on the other one?

It might be important for planning if there is significant difference.

Any idea?

Comment

That's good to hear..

For larger projects where we are going to need two Z-wave interfaces - does it matter how devices are divided between them?

Let's say I have big room with 20 switches. I will want to turn all of them ON at one event. Will there be difference processing speed if I have all 20 switches on one Z-wave interface vs 10 switches on one and other 10 switches on the other one?

Any idea?

That is a simple question but not simple to answer with complete certainty.

Simple the processing of the event will be linear and therefore, if they are divided on separate z-wave networks you might see a difference but whether or not this would be significant to cause you concern cannot be answered.

Given your scenario, I would plan of grouping the network based of physical location as this enables improvement in the meshed network, number of hops and may lead to placing the second network in a completely different location either on a z-net or a z-net like configured devices. For example one at either end of the building or one on different floors.

Comment

brientim, so you are suggesting that it would more efficient if processed by one a-wave interface? Just want to make sure I got it right.

Comment

brientim, so you are suggesting that it would more efficient if processed by one a-wave interface? Just want to make sure I got it right.
                        Yes, that is correct. The mesh and routing will be tightened and therefore it should produce the best results.

Comment

That's good to hear..

Any idea?

Note of caution. Z-Wave is a serial communication. If you have 20 switches they WILL NOT all come on at exactly the same time. With that many lights there will be a noticeable effect of timing between lights. This is commonly referred to as the "popcorn effect".

Comment

Thanks for the info. I realize I can't do that and expect all turn off at the same time. Also it looks like sending too many requests can really overload the system. I tried to set group of lights to 0 (off) and On using EasyTrigger and the system really struggled to catch up with everything.

Originally posted by Simplex Technology View Post

Note of caution. Z-Wave is a serial communication. If you have 20 switches they WILL NOT all come on at exactly the same time. With that many lights there will be a noticeable effect of timing between lights. This is commonly referred to as the "popcorn effect".

Comment

Thanks for the info. I realize I can't do that and expect all turn off at the same time. Also it looks like sending too many requests can really overload the system. I tried to set group of lights to 0 (off) and On using EasyTrigger and the system really struggled to catch up with everything.

What do you mean "struggled"? Z-Wave is serial so the commands are issued one by one in a series not in parallel. It doesn't matter what issues the commands such as EasyTrigger or another script/tool it will still be serial. The protocols currently that are designed with this functionality of simultaneous on/off of groups of lighting are Insteon and Lutron. Some Wifi Lighting like LIFX have a group broadcast functionality although I have not tested with more than half a dozen bulbs so I can't tell what the effects would be in a larger group. Hue has grouping and uses ZLL (not Zigbee ZHA) which also supports a grouped scene but the last I tested it had the popcorn effect in large groups but it may have improved as I no longer run Hue bulbs so I can't tell you current status.

Comment

Working...
                              X